Why isn't there a traveler? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 10-06-2010 Thread Starter
Bluewater Cruiser Hunter

Why isn't there a traveler?

Some older boats such as Rafiki's and Alajuela's don't use a traveler? What am I missing here? Seems dangerous and inefficient to me.

...be gentle.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-06-2010
Just another Moderator

There's no particular danger in setting up a boat without a traveler, you lose a fair bit of control and versatility on sail trim, though much of that can be recouped with a properly engineered and powerful vang set up.

Also, some boats were set up with twin mainsheets in an upside-down "V" arrangement that provided much of the control of an average length traveler and mainsheet without the (pricey) hardware... but again you're giving up convenience and ease of use.

What strikes me as dangerous are cruising boats with no vang fitted at all.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 33 Old 10-06-2010 Thread Starter
Bluewater Cruiser Hunter

sailing w/out traveler

Do you know anyplace I can learn more about this set up? I have searched online but not found anything yet!
Thanks!
post #4 of 33 Old 10-06-2010
me at 67!

Rigging small boats by Glen L. it's a free online book. shows the very rig mentioned. I think it's called a crosby rig.

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-06-2010 at 12:36 PM.
post #5 of 33 Old 10-06-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

The Niagara 35 has two independent mainsheets in an inverted V arrangement. I quite like the idea for a cruising boat since you can use one sheet for controlling boom location and the other for shaping the sail. Not as good as a traveller for ultimate control but just fine for cruisers who are not too enamoured of pulling strings.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
post #6 of 33 Old 10-06-2010

My little Hunter 18.5 (1991) doesn't have a traveler, just a fiddle block on the cockpit sole that runs up to a fiddle near the end of the boom. It makes for a longer mainsheet than might otherwise be required, but with the cockpit and cabintop the way it is, there's nowhere for a traveler to go. It pretty much makes mainsail trim a binary operation: ease the mainsheet or trim the mainsheet.

I (somewhat) make up for the sail trim deficiencies on downwind legs by running a preventer from the end of the boom to a stout block at the bow, and back to the windward rail on anything below a broad reach.
post #7 of 33 Old 10-06-2010 Thread Starter
Bluewater Cruiser Hunter

Thanks

Yes, the boat is rigged similar to the graphic. On this Rafiki there was not a cam cleat for the main sheet, just a horn cleat on either side of stern. Do you think a cam cleat would be better for the this set up?
post #8 of 33 Old 10-06-2010
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
The Niagara 35 has two independent mainsheets in an inverted V arrangement. I quite like the idea for a cruising boat since you can use one sheet for controlling boom location and the other for shaping the sail. Not as good as a traveller for ultimate control but just fine for cruisers who are not too enamoured of pulling strings.
Yes, this is what I meant when I posted earlier.. basic graphic below. It's somewhat different from the inverted V sheet arrangement in the picture above, in that it is two separate sheets as described and provided on the Niagara 35 among others.

Ron

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
post #9 of 33 Old 10-06-2010
Broad Reachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
What strikes me as dangerous are cruising boats with no vang fitted at all.
Sorry about the hijacking of this thread...but what's dangerous about a cruising boat not having a boom vang? Neither of the cruising boats I've owned have had boom vangs and so far I haven't run into any trouble. Educate me, please!

Catalina 34

post #10 of 33 Old 10-06-2010
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayw View Post
.....Do you think a cam cleat would be better for the this set up?
A cam cleat will be easier/quicker to release and secure... so yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Sorry about the hijacking of this thread...but what's dangerous about a cruising boat not having a boom vang? Neither of the cruising boats I've owned have had boom vangs and so far I haven't run into any trouble. Educate me, please!
My concern with no vang is when fully eased downwind, an accidental gybe can turn into a goosewing gybe because the boom is free to lift. (half of leech only actually gybes initially) When the sail finally decides which side to end up on that can be a fairly violent action. Also it's simply inefficient having the boom lift going DDW as far as drive is concerned....jmo, of course....

Ron

Last edited by Faster; 10-06-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.