Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010
Bluewater Cruiser Hunter

shayw is on a distinguished road
Why isn't there a traveler?

Some older boats such as Rafiki's and Alajuela's don't use a traveler? What am I missing here? Seems dangerous and inefficient to me.

...be gentle.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
There's no particular danger in setting up a boat without a traveler, you lose a fair bit of control and versatility on sail trim, though much of that can be recouped with a properly engineered and powerful vang set up.

Also, some boats were set up with twin mainsheets in an upside-down "V" arrangement that provided much of the control of an average length traveler and mainsheet without the (pricey) hardware... but again you're giving up convenience and ease of use.

What strikes me as dangerous are cruising boats with no vang fitted at all.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-06-2010
Bluewater Cruiser Hunter

sailing w/out traveler

Do you know anyplace I can learn more about this set up? I have searched online but not found anything yet!
Thanks!
Old 10-06-2010
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Rigging small boats by Glen L. it's a free online book. shows the very rig mentioned. I think it's called a crosby rig.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 10-06-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
The Niagara 35 has two independent mainsheets in an inverted V arrangement. I quite like the idea for a cruising boat since you can use one sheet for controlling boom location and the other for shaping the sail. Not as good as a traveller for ultimate control but just fine for cruisers who are not too enamoured of pulling strings.
Old 10-06-2010

jcalvinmarks is on a distinguished road
My little Hunter 18.5 (1991) doesn't have a traveler, just a fiddle block on the cockpit sole that runs up to a fiddle near the end of the boom. It makes for a longer mainsheet than might otherwise be required, but with the cockpit and cabintop the way it is, there's nowhere for a traveler to go. It pretty much makes mainsail trim a binary operation: ease the mainsheet or trim the mainsheet.

I (somewhat) make up for the sail trim deficiencies on downwind legs by running a preventer from the end of the boom to a stout block at the bow, and back to the windward rail on anything below a broad reach.
Old 10-06-2010
Bluewater Cruiser Hunter

Thanks

Yes, the boat is rigged similar to the graphic. On this Rafiki there was not a cam cleat for the main sheet, just a horn cleat on either side of stern. Do you think a cam cleat would be better for the this set up?
Old 10-06-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
The Niagara 35 has two independent mainsheets in an inverted V arrangement. I quite like the idea for a cruising boat since you can use one sheet for controlling boom location and the other for shaping the sail. Not as good as a traveller for ultimate control but just fine for cruisers who are not too enamoured of pulling strings.
Yes, this is what I meant when I posted earlier.. basic graphic below. It's somewhat different from the inverted V sheet arrangement in the picture above, in that it is two separate sheets as described and provided on the Niagara 35 among others.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 10-06-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
What strikes me as dangerous are cruising boats with no vang fitted at all.
Sorry about the hijacking of this thread...but what's dangerous about a cruising boat not having a boom vang? Neither of the cruising boats I've owned have had boom vangs and so far I haven't run into any trouble. Educate me, please!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2010
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayw View Post
.....Do you think a cam cleat would be better for the this set up?
A cam cleat will be easier/quicker to release and secure... so yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Sorry about the hijacking of this thread...but what's dangerous about a cruising boat not having a boom vang? Neither of the cruising boats I've owned have had boom vangs and so far I haven't run into any trouble. Educate me, please!
My concern with no vang is when fully eased downwind, an accidental gybe can turn into a goosewing gybe because the boom is free to lift. (half of leech only actually gybes initially) When the sail finally decides which side to end up on that can be a fairly violent action. Also it's simply inefficient having the boom lift going DDW as far as drive is concerned....jmo, of course....

Last edited by Faster; 10-06-2010 at 04:57 PM.