Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010

capncook is on a distinguished road
Dickerson 41 Ketch

Hello to all,
I am looking at a Dickerson 41 made in 1977 and it has a wooden hull. I did some reading and apparently they stopped making wooden hulls in 1974. Read up on "Southern Cross" made in 1974 and it was supposedly the first 41' built and the last wooden hull.
Any info would be great as I have exhausted the WWW and at a standstill. Also, I've never owned a wood boat before and not really sure about it. I know the pros and cons, but every hull material has them. William
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
some of us here on Sailnet love wooden boats and have quite a bit of knowledge. Looking at this site if it's the one your talking about, there are "worse" types of hull then this one. It's strip planked and glassed over. Still there are, maintenance issues that will require very very very deep pockets on any wooden boat. Good Old Boat

Dickerson Boatbuilders - The Dickerson Sailing Yacht

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2010

capncook is on a distinguished road
This one is confusing me. It is a 1977, but no FRP. The hull is only wood. Owner is at $15000 right now, he needs a quick sale. He spent $8000 on bottom and ner awlgrip inside and out and $2500 on new bronze portholes... just wants some of his invertment back. Boat (no survey yet) is structurally 100% and 90% everywhere else. Leary about wood boats, never had to maintain one.
Old 10-06-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
That seems like a big boat for a first wooden boat to own. I like wooden boats but don't think I would want to own one. I find enough work on a FRP boat.
Old 10-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by capncook View Post
This one is confusing me. It is a 1977, but no FRP. The hull is only wood. Owner is at $15000 right now, he needs a quick sale. He spent $8000 on bottom and ner awlgrip inside and out and $2500 on new bronze portholes... just wants some of his invertment back. Boat (no survey yet) is structurally 100% and 90% everywhere else. Leary about wood boats, never had to maintain one.
Now is really not the time to learn if you have the skills and the patience to do so.

Also, the very low price, for a 41' boat, makes me think that this boat will have some serious problems that will need to be addressed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-06-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
15 k would get you a decent fiberglass boat that you can just start sailing.

I would respectfully suggest you don't buy it. Who says the boat is 100% sound structurally? The owner? eep!

Don't know why your feeling sorry for the owner. He owns a money pit, he knows it, we know it. Boats like this need the TLC of boat yards that specialize in wooden boats. What is he not telling you or doesn't even know about, himself?

What about Engine, shaft, seals, through hulls, rigging, sails, plumbing, electric, keel bolts, deck leakage?

my current "project"!
Old 10-06-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd also point out that a new paint job hides a multitude of maintenance nightmares....

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-07-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Dickersons were/are one of the finest US made yachts and if the boat has been properly cared for should not be unduely difficult to care for. It would be wise to look into the Dickerson Owners Association.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

did some searching found it. no pics. **Must Sell** 41 Foot Dickerson Ketch Sailboat!!

my current "project"!
Old 10-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

my current "project"!