SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Yves Gelinas at the boat show today...

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  eryka 
#1 · (Edited)

#2 ·
Sounds like Yves is an arrogant *****. I've met a few world class sailors who were class acts... Yves apparently isn't one of them.

#4 ·
My experience with Yves was different

Chris - Sorry to hear you felt snubbed by Yves Gelinas. I had quite a different experience with him about seven year ago. I was in Montreal, called him about my interest in the Cape Horn windvane. He invited my wife and I to his house, toured us around the shop, gave us a copy of the movie (gratis) and said he would work up a quote, which he promptly sent about a week later. I found him fascinating and charming. Since then, I have consulted him a couple of times about my Cape Horn windvane and his replies have always been courteous and quick.

I guess we all have bad days and maybe you met him when he was having his. I think language is sometimes a barrier too. Although his english is OK, I definitely found it easier to let him know I spoke french (albeit badly), so we could switch back and forth - it seemed to help.

BTW, the Cape Horn windvane is the BEST piece of gear I ever put on my boat. It is way better than any other self-steering system (including electric autopilots) that I have ever seen.

Jim Legere
1983 Hunter 37 cutter

#5 ·
Well.. he basically snubbed me. He barely looked at me through his dark glasses, and he didn't even shake my hand. It was awkward to say the least.
?
Just give him the benefit of doubt. If he is always being snub, it will catch up with him soon enough. In the meantime, rise above him and be happy.

Oh yeah, if his windvane is the best, buy it and use it. It is not like you are going to commit to marry him. Who care if he did not shake your hand. :D

#6 ·
Yeah, I was going to say that I get the impression his english is not the best -- maybe he didn't fully understand you? Jimjazzdad seems to suggest the same.

Setting up and getting ready for a boatshow can be a pressure cooker. You may have caught him at a bad time when he was focussing on other priorities, before he had switched over to "salesman" mode.

#9 ·
I am French speaking like Yves Gelina from Québec province. Ok, I improved my English over the years but having an English conversation in a noisy environment is still a challenge.

I would bet that in your enthousiasm you spoke too fast for him! It is so obvious to me!!!
:)

Next time speak slowly and check for understanding once in a while.

#10 ·
I am French speaking like Yves Gelina from Québec province. Ok, I improved my English over the years but having an English conversation in a noisy environment is still a challenge.

I would bet that in your enthousiasm you spoke too fast for him! It is so obvious to me!!!

Next time speak slowly and check for understanding once in a while.
Great suggestion, we'll be at the show tomorrow and try it also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.