SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Freaked out some power boaters yesterday!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  swampcreek 
#1 · (Edited)
I've grown up on the waters around here and know them pretty well. There are these huge rocks aptly called "The White Rocks" jutting up out of the water maybe 15 or 20 foot at the mouth of our creek (Rock Creek) in the upper/mid Chesapeake. There is a passage between them. Many people don't know this but the depth is pretty good going between them. The lowest I've ever seen it was 6'. The creek side also has a good steep drop off but the steel mill side is dangerous if you get too close. I've had every boat I've ever owned through those rocks (Including a 30' cabin cruiser I once had), it's sort of a right of passage. Yesterday the wind was just right and there weren't a bunch of boats fishing around them so on our way back in we did the maneuver of what I call "Shoot The Rocks", we went by people who were fishing by the rocks and looking at us like we were Martians. We sailed through and waived, they waived, and we went on our way. So now the boat is officially mine. :D

NOTE: I haven't taken a depth reading since I last ran my old cabin cruiser through there in 1997 and I didn't have my depth sounder on yesterday so I don't know if there has been any changes down there to affect depth such as rock slides or sunken vessels, I'll have my depth sounder on next time as I should have yesterday.

#2 ·
I for one think you are crazy.......I know these rocks as I too am 'up the creek' so to speak @ oak haaaaabor. GG the 30' C-30 TR at your service. I have often wondered but drawing 5'3-8" I am not about to try it! Congrats though

Josh

#3 ·
We are in and out of Rock Creek a couple times a year while cruising by,- maybe a night at anchor and a beer and sandwich at the Anchor Inn. It's spectacular to hear of your "right of passage". Local knowledge excels, but we'll still stay away from the rocks. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

#5 · (Edited)
Although I've been through them many many times I would NEVER suggest anyone to do it. I started this back in the 1970's as a kid on a 15' trihull and have took every boat I own through there since. As a matter of fact I even "fudged" my lowest depth reading of 6'through them (it was deeper) to be on the safe side figuring someone with a deep draft boat might try it after reading my post.

OH! we have pictures, the camera is not here right now! I'll post them shortly.

I'm going to grab some breakfast and go sailing today, I'll probably motor a little closer than usual to the MYC to "plant the seed" with the Admiral.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.