Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
Freaked out some power boaters yesterday!

I've grown up on the waters around here and know them pretty well. There are these huge rocks aptly called "The White Rocks" jutting up out of the water maybe 15 or 20 foot at the mouth of our creek (Rock Creek) in the upper/mid Chesapeake. There is a passage between them. Many people don't know this but the depth is pretty good going between them. The lowest I've ever seen it was 6'. The creek side also has a good steep drop off but the steel mill side is dangerous if you get too close. I've had every boat I've ever owned through those rocks (Including a 30' cabin cruiser I once had), it's sort of a right of passage. Yesterday the wind was just right and there weren't a bunch of boats fishing around them so on our way back in we did the maneuver of what I call "Shoot The Rocks", we went by people who were fishing by the rocks and looking at us like we were Martians. We sailed through and waived, they waived, and we went on our way. So now the boat is officially mine.

NOTE: I haven't taken a depth reading since I last ran my old cabin cruiser through there in 1997 and I didn't have my depth sounder on yesterday so I don't know if there has been any changes down there to affect depth such as rock slides or sunken vessels, I'll have my depth sounder on next time as I should have yesterday.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.

Last edited by swampcreek; 10-11-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2010
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
I for one think you are crazy.......I know these rocks as I too am 'up the creek' so to speak @ oak haaaaabor. GG the 30' C-30 TR at your service. I have often wondered but drawing 5'3-8" I am not about to try it! Congrats though

Josh

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....
Old 10-11-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
We are in and out of Rock Creek a couple times a year while cruising by,- maybe a night at anchor and a beer and sandwich at the Anchor Inn. It's spectacular to hear of your "right of passage". Local knowledge excels, but we'll still stay away from the rocks. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 10-11-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I am in the creek also. We will continue to admire the " White Rocks" from afar and try other feats for our "right of passage"

Take a picture next time.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-11-2010

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
Although I've been through them many many times I would NEVER suggest anyone to do it. I started this back in the 1970's as a kid on a 15' trihull and have took every boat I own through there since. As a matter of fact I even "fudged" my lowest depth reading of 6'through them (it was deeper) to be on the safe side figuring someone with a deep draft boat might try it after reading my post.

OH! we have pictures, the camera is not here right now! I'll post them shortly.

I'm going to grab some breakfast and go sailing today, I'll probably motor a little closer than usual to the MYC to "plant the seed" with the Admiral.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.

Last edited by swampcreek; 10-11-2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: add to post

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.