Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Gave my masseuse a happy ending

I took my massage thearpist for her first sail yesteday. Weather was beautiful, wind was just about perfect for a lazy sail and we headed out for a 45min motorsail to the Gulf. Just short of the turn bouy to head out the pass, the diesel quits. Crap! I didn't want to chance heading out into the Gulf as the tide and wind were against us. Good news was, we could continue north in the ICW under sail while I diagnosed the engine problem.

I guess it's poetic justice. I work in the service department of a large jet boat/watercraft/motorcycle dealership. The number one problem we see is seldom used vehicles with a tank full of stale gas. When I checked the fuel filter I noticed the dark brown, then I dribbled some out the bottom ..... Phewww Old diesel smells really bad!

Well, this isn't going to spoil a day on the water with an attractive lady. We sailed up the ICW for another hour then turned for home. She really enjoyed passing several other sailboats as we reached our way south.

The happy ending: It's been years since I docked under sail and I've never done it with this boat. I had luck with me on two counts, wind was blowing from the west and it was only about 10 kts. My dock points west so I should be able to keep the main up and dump power with the main sheet. We furled the jib and I lined her up for the dock. Just as I'm making my turn to the south (I keep her port side to) we get this puff of wind out of nowhere and I couldn't dump power out of the main, we just squirted through and I had to line her up for another attempt. Picture perfect on the second try, I wish my wife had been there with the camera but she got home just after we did. Yes, my wife lets me take attractive women sailing.

DB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2010
On the path of basic life

ArmyChief is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
Yes, my wife lets me take attractive women sailing.

DB
Not only sailing, the massage also

Very trusting wife
Old 10-11-2010

nasomi is on a distinguished road
I don't know about you, but I'd rather have stale fuel than moisture in my gas tank any day. You can drain and replace fuel easily, but de-rusting a gas tank, now that's a different story, and often requires replacing. I keep all my tanks full at all times.
Old 10-11-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
Gave my masseuse a happy ending
DB
This statement begs for a comeback question.
Did your masseuse give you a happy ending in return?

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-11-2010

Matvolver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
This statement begs for a comeback question.
Did your masseuse give you a happy ending in return?
Is this filed under 'Inquiring Minds Want to Know'?
Old 10-11-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
DB...how old was the fuel ?

I guess I'm wondering how long does diesel last ?

The Womboat has three tanks, two in the hull plus a day tank. When the day tank is getting low I pump up one of hull tanks. When both hull tanks are empty we refill. This usually is over a 12 month period.

12 months ? Too long ? OK ?

I'm thinking maybe to ditch one of the hull tanks and turn the space into a holding tank. I don't like the idea of losing the fuel capacity but rather that than risking stale fuel.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-11-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
Well as I recall I carry about 80 gallons and I have put in about twenty or so during the past five years!-no problems yet!
Old 10-11-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffiill View Post
Well as I recall I carry about 80 gallons and I have put in about twenty or so during the past five years!-no problems yet!
80 gallons ? wow !! we carry in total approx 160 litres which is less than 40 gallons.

from what you say if the fuel is less than two years old (usually less than one) we would have no problems.

I'll be interested to hear what DirtBOy says about the age of his fuel.

Must say I admire anyone who can sail into a slip. On and off a swing mooring is something I am happy to do but into a slip ? I fear for the bow and pulpit though I guess stopping a boat in a slip is not that much harder than stopping her on a mooring.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-11-2010

nasomi is on a distinguished road
Diesell lasts about a year, but after taht will adversely affect engine performance and can cause premature deterioration of parts. When storing for an extended period, it's recommended to usee a stabilizer. Most don't like to let it sit for over 6 months, thus most mmotorhome owners will add stabilizer for the winter. I am not sure about shore diesel though. Alsso, II hope they're using type 2, winter diesel, yeear round, otherwise you can suffer from gelling in lower temperatures. Type two is the same as home heating oil, whicch has aan anti-gelling aggent. You can also use addetives to help with this. I use diesel-kleen in my truck and home heating system, to keep it clean and extend the life of hte fuel. However II don't know what is similar and what is different for diesel in boats, if anything.
Old 10-12-2010

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Well, the fuel was about 2 years old. I did use a diesel fuel stabilazer but that just slows down the process, doesn't prevent it. Heat and humidity accelerate the problem ............ I live in Florida.

The boat is kept at the end of our dock so it's a "sail through" slip rather than one that's boxed in; makes docking under sail a whole lot eaiser. I have had to dock into a traditional slip under sail and it's more nerve wracking but do-able.

I've known Steph for years, she worked for me as a sales person when I was sales manager at the dealership. When I met he she was riding an FZR1000 (very fast sport bike) ..... she's my kinda girl. She decided to go to massage school and has worked as a LMT for about 15 years. It's kept her young at heart and in very good shape. She is a professional and not a fan of the happy ending but she'll give you a damned good massage.

DB

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.