Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
my buddy put up an owl, a week later it was an owl covered in doo doo. the blue heron who hangs around drops about a bucket of paint... this came up in another thread, some folks mentioned that spikes or the monofiliment trick work well.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2010

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
I've heard hanging a dead sea gull in the rigging works
Old 10-14-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by P35juniper View Post
I've heard hanging a dead sea gull in the rigging works
Only on someone else's boat!
Old 10-15-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
There is a chemical called "Hot Foot" or something like that, that building owners use to keep pigeons away...
Not to sure if I would want to use it... Rain washing down onto the boat decks where we walk barefooted..... OUCH! No! Bad Idea, very bad idea.
Bird spikes & line along with moving Icons of Hawks & Owls....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 10-15-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by otisgudlyfe View Post
try a plastic owl or hawk (you can get them from garden supply houses). If that doesn't work, try a real owl or hawk
I've also seen people successfully use plastic snakes to keep the dump ducks off their boats.
Good luck with the owl.

In New Zealand we don't have any snakes of any description so birds are not frightened of them because they have no idea what they are looking at.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-15-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
aye me laddie, just like ye ole emerald isle where the good st paddy got rid of em too....

on a funny note, my yacht broker buddy (mainly deals P/B's) was going down to a sailboat to clean it up to show... he opens the anchor locker and sees a BIG FLIPPIN SNAKE!! slams the locker shut, runs up the dock, calls the owner to ask,"Uhhh do you guys put plastic snakes around the boat to scare off mice or something?" Quick response = "no." Even quicker response, "OK, well then you are going to have to come down here and clean this thing up yourself!!"

while im on a roll, another funny....

same yacht dude calls me... "are you on the dock?" me="yep" he "well im tied up and some folks are coming down to see that catalina on four, can you let them in?" me="sure no problem" so they call, i open the gate, take them down and tell them to take their time, just shut the gate when you go, call with questions etc etc...
so im walking back to another dock. my phone rings--its broker buddy..."hey have you seen those folks?" "yeah i just let them in and told them to take their time, just to shut the gate" "OH CRAP" he says. "what?? I did what you asked??" "I was calling to tell you there is a wasp infestation and there is a can of spray over on the trojan!!" me="well i guess that will be the shortest boat showing in history..."

never heard from them again. ROFLMAO

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 02-20-2011
Capt Ron

southwindphoto is on a distinguished road
a mixture of fishing line from the back and forward stays, and flapping trash bags has helped allot.. But they and their feathered friends are still a pest...
Old 02-20-2011

capecodda is on a distinguished road
We've got an osprey that likes to stand on mast heads. Amazingly adept at standing on the wind vane on your wind instruments. And these are heavy birds, we've had a lot of broken wind vanes. They don't seem to leave a lot of deposits, just break your gear. A pair of them attempted to nest on the T-Top of a power boat on a mooring. This didn't sit well with the owner.

We've got cormorants who like to leave colorful deposits. They like spreaders. What are they eating when they are diving down? Certainly must be some colorful fish. Cormorant knee high stainless wire seems to discourage this. Plastic owls don't seem to do anything.

The sea gulls like dock pilings. Cone heads seem to deter this. Pilings seem to pre-occupy the sea gulls here, no time for boats I guess.

Yep, its a regular Hitchcock movie here.
Old 02-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
More than one has tried to tell me that the reason gulls are protected is that they eat some multiple amount of their body weight in stuff that would otherwise rot and cause disease. I have no rational way to understand why the depositing of the waste from that activity isn't equally as bad.

I'm also told that gulls are the smartest of all bird species and communicate with each other. This I believe. I am aware of an illegal shotgun purging that took place at a location I will not disclose. Their friends have still not returned. I'm sure the escapees spread the word.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-20-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
There was a great article in Practical Sailor several months ago about which bird repellent devices were effective. By and large, most were ineffective at best. The owls, hawks, snakes, etc.. only work for a very short period then the critters get used to seeing them and they're completely ignored. The best ones were those that were spinning devices with sensors that triggered them when bird approached.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.