Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010
Capt Ron

southwindphoto is on a distinguished road
flying rats

Ok.. I need some advice.

I visited my boat today, and found that some flying rats aka seagulls had visited and where not nice guest. Long story short, took me over an hour to clean up there mess.. My boat is currently moored, in the City of St Augustine new mooring field, so itís not like we have a real winter that will get the birds to leave, and water for cleaning is not plentiful.

So my question to you experience Captains, is what can I do to keep them off my boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
You've plenty of cleaning water... Your boat is sitting in it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwindphoto View Post
So my question to you experience Captains, is what can I do to keep them off my boat?
I've heard shotgun blasts at regular intervals works well...

Old 10-11-2010

otisgudlyfe is on a distinguished road
try a plastic owl or hawk (you can get them from garden supply houses). If that doesn't work, try a real owl or hawk
I've also seen people successfully use plastic snakes to keep the dump ducks off their boats.
Old 10-11-2010

swadiver is on a distinguished road
I have seen people in my area hang old CD's from string at various locatations around the boat. It seems to work.

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
Old 10-11-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately whatever streamers you fly from the rigging, wont deter them from landing at the mast head, I think Davis was right on adding an anti bird spike to the Windex 15".

Birds are clever, don't always roost in trees, leave berry stains on deck - but in the big picture, we need them.
Old 10-11-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor50 View Post
Birds are clever, don't always roost in trees, leave berry stains on deck - but in the big picture, we need them.
Seagulls?!? You're kidding, right? We need Seagulls?!? Oh alright, I suppose we do... Someone/something has to clean up after the tourists have finished their fish and chips..

Humming line doesn't seem to do much other than annony the neighbours - but I've heard that the plastic hawks work well.
Old 10-12-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
In St. Augustine you may actually have an Osprey rather then sea gulls but, in either case, they are a pain in the neck. FWIW I have never seen plastic owls or any of the like actually work (tho' others will no doubt disagree). For the mast head on trick is to hoist a gin pole that projects above your masthead instruments on a halyard, leaving it a bit slack so that it wobbles around in the wind. That makes it difficult for the birds to land. One can also run wire or monofiliment between the shrouds and the sides of the mast 6-8" above the spreaders which makes landing there impossible (although that doesn't seem to last too long).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-12-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
We've got parrots to add to the list, at least here in South Florida. Their psychedelic droppings make gull stains look mundane.

We've tried flying owls, ospreys, Chinese Kites, and fishing line but haven't found a passive solution. What does seem to work is a well calibrated pellet gun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2010

LazylighningII is on a distinguished road
I found the day time birds do not like moving bright light. So I string 10 to 15 old CD's or DVD's on a line from the fore stay to the mast and form the to the back stay. I hang them at different heights and make sure that kind a aimed to the rigging. I don't have much poop to deal with as compared to before I did this. I used this method on the mooring and while at a end tie.
Old 10-12-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
I rescued a pelican one time from somebody's fishing line, and the pelican paid me back by constantly visiting us on our bow rail and sharing his meal with us. I swear that they poop concrete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.