Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010

johnseattle is on a distinguished road
C Flex in fiberglass hull construction

For sale I have seen a 16,800lbs Jason 35 sailboat, about 20 years old with a solid fiberglass hull built with "C Flex."

I googled "C Flex" and one site had this to say - "... C-Flex allows any form to be built using simple and inexpensive framing procedures instead of costly molding methods.

"Each 'plank' of C-Flex contains small semi-rigid rods that run lengthwise throughout the cloth. These rods allow the fiberglass to hold its form while resin is applied. This process eliminates the need for a full mold used in traditional fiberglass construction."

Does anyone please know if C Flex makes a hull as strong as a conventionally molded hull?

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
C-Flex can make for a hull as good as or better than a traditionally molded hull depending upon the skill of the builder. If the hull is still fair without stress cracking after 20 years, particularly around the keel, it was likely pretty well built. A good survey will confirm or disprove that however.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 10-12-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
My boat is a carvel plank wooden yawl covered in C-Flex back in '94. It's still solid and in great shape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Charlie, Could C-flex by used for re-decking? I mean instead of build up with cloth and epoxy. Sure would save allot of fairing problems no? So many re-decked boats with wavy decks out there.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Hmm, never thought of it. Could be. I'd contact Bill Seeman over at Seeman Composite, the guy who developed C-Flex and still sells it.