SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   to move or not to move, that is the question. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/69015-move-not-move-question.html)

QuickMick 10-12-2010 01:47 PM

to move or not to move, that is the question.

OK. Im seriously considering a relocation, and would like to be on a coast. if that means the houston area rough estimate to move the mick is about 1300. that does not count the haulout (250ish) + whatever the splash fee is (sameish?)... so we are at 2kish... plus fees for the mast (any $ idea?) unstep/step... and while she is on the hard (here or there) might as well get the bottom done.. 15-2k ish...oh, and while the mast is down there is some wiring to be done (more dough) so all the sudden it looks to be around five large, if not a bit more.

so im starting to think (IF) i sell her and use the proceeds + the 5k i just saved it might be a whole lot less of a hassle to go that route and just buy another boat already where im going to be.... like throw this guy a 10k bid and see if he will haggle...
Westerly Renown Ketch, 1972, Palacios, Texas sailboat for sale

i do like my boat, which is a consideration, but im trying to be a bit practial about a decision that makes $$ sense. however, it might be fun to have something else. part of the problem(well not too bad--i like futzing around on boats), is that i got a pretty good deal on mine, which probably equates to me not getting out what i put in...yes yes i know i know, i knew i never would. even if i got 6ish out of her it would be a wash and similarly sized boats tend to command a bit more so i might do ok

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. ie, move costs i forgot? anything im not considering that i should? thanks guys, i appreciate it.

Q

rockDAWG 10-12-2010 02:17 PM

Without knowing the specifics, The buying part is easy but the selling part is often harder, especially when you don't want to give it away. I would not start shopping until you have a firm buyer.

SVCarolena 10-12-2010 02:53 PM

Don't forget the value of a boat you know well, and of a boat that has been in fresh water (I assume yours falls into that category). Our boat spent its first four or five years in salt before being relocated to the fresh water end of the tidal Potomac for the past 20 years. When I pulled the chainplates this weekend to rebed them not even a bit of corrosion despite a pesky leak for as long as we have owned her. I doubt that would have been the case on a 25 year old salt water production boat. Anyway, just my two cents.

Allanbc 10-12-2010 03:43 PM

Tough choice. As has been pointed out, selling is the hardest part. Put your boat on the market and see what happens. Let that guide your decision. Buying another boat is easy because it is a buyers market. Of course, with a new boat, you have to start over with your working on it.

weephee 10-12-2010 06:17 PM

Take her with you. You know what you've got and she's a part of you and I expect that's what you really want to do.

dhays 10-12-2010 06:58 PM

Don't forget the costs of a purchase and sale.

Let's say that you were able to sell your existing boat for the same $10k that you wanted to spend on the other boat. The broker fee (assuming you used a broker to help with a quick and clean sale) would cost you $1000, so you would net out only $9k from the sale. When you purchase the new boat you would most likely pay sales tax, I don't know what that is in TX but figure at least $500. You would need a survey, so $600-$700 plus haulout, so maybe as much as $1000 there.

So, even if you bought a boat for the same price that you sold your existing boat, you still will have to shell out a couple thousand dollars just to handle the transaction.