Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Sweet looking registration plate for your inflatable

Check it out, if your looking for a really nice way to attach your registartion numbers to your inflatbale, look at this product first: REGISTRATION NUMBERS FOR BOATS - Home

All my previous owned inflatable were bought used and came with some sort of numbers/letters already attached, usins stencil & paint, sharpies, or platic plate with vinyl letters...none of those compare to the professional look of the custon made stick-on plaque I just applied to our newish dingy over the weekend.

I choose the adhesive coated one since we keep the boat inflated all the time on a davit or on the foredeck. It took about a week after going online and filling out the form for it to arrive. The install was easy as could be.

I dont know how well these would work if you inflate/deflate often, they recommend the glue on one for those?

Supposed to last 10 years? I'll post a follow in 10 years and let you know

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2010

cmendoza is on a distinguished road
I currently have my numbers on a plastic "plate" which I zip-tie to the "grab line"

but this looks interesting... thanks for the link!

Carlos & Maria
S/V Rocinante

...you may not be able to control the wind,
but you can adjust your sails..._/)
Old 10-12-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Yikes. I'm way to cheap for that option.
Old 10-12-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I had the plastic plate with the zip ties, hated it...and on the Achilles there is no good way to attach the plate and I didn't want to glue the mounts on, pkus the plate is really not proper way to mount, see below.

Midlife, after spending a few thousand for the dink, motor, lift, whats another $40 +- Actually though if you add up a reg plate, vinyl letters, etc, you're close to $40 anyway

I would add that its proper to have them permantley attahced.

The following is an exerpt from an Official Newsletter distributed by the head of the Vessel Examination Dept of the USCG Auxiliary. STATE REGISTERED VESSELS -- The Requirements Are: Use of Block Style letters and numbers only; Letters & numbers must be at least Three (3) inches in height; Letters & numbers must be of Contrasting Color (not outlined, shadowed or rounded); if the background is multicolored or patterned, a block out area of a single color may be required to facilitate readability. The Letters and numbers must be separated by the width of one letter or number - not including the number one (1) or the capital letter (I). Use either a blank space or a hyphen and they must be read from left to right. The validation sticker must be visible and placed within six inches of the registration numbers. Placement either in front of or behind the numbers is determined by state regulation. The Registration Numbers, Letters and Sticker must be PERMANENTLY ATTACHED and on the Forward Half of the Vessel. Adhering registration numbers and stickers on glass or plastic windows or using placards (signboards) are NOT considered Permanent and can no longer be used unless they are bolted or screwed in place on the hull or superstructure (including on dinghies). Signboards cannot be attached to railings. Inflatable boat manufacturers should be contacted for letters and numbers made of the same material / adhesive as the boat to attain permanency. Validation stickers issued by states can be adhered to metal or plastic plates and mounted on grab straps with non-reversible wire ties, but must be within 6 inches of the registration number and visible to law enforcement officers. Contact your state for guidance and acceptability. Above reviewed by the United States Coast Guard office of Boating Safety on: 12/16/04 -----I would contact your local jurisdiction and Coast Guard Auxiliary to learn the rules of the water-----

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-12-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2010
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
I did the "you glue it on" version and am very happy with it. Much better than the other options.

I've found that the problem with the hard plates is they become brittle from the UV in a just couple years and then will break if you look at them too hard.

If my dink makes it 10 years, I'll post the results as well

(Midlife, saw you leaving HHS on Sunday while we were returning. I wanted to turn to catch you, but the Ms. had a commitment she to had get too.)

SOLARE
T-37 #442

Last edited by T37SOLARE; 10-12-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-12-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Iv got them on one of my RIB as well...Have no clew how long they have been there but they are tough as nails.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 10-12-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I used that same plate on our dink. 6 months later they are still looking good.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 10-13-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I concur, good product! Several of my dockmates use this and I'll also be switching next spring.

Old 10-13-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37SOLARE View Post
I did the "you glue it on" version and am very happy with it. Much better than the other options.

I've found that the problem with the hard plates is they become brittle from the UV in a just couple years and then will break if you look at them too hard.

If my dink makes it 10 years, I'll post the results as well

(Midlife, saw you leaving HHS on Sunday while we were returning. I wanted to turn to catch you, but the Ms. had a commitment she to had get too.)
Sorry we missed you. We just went out for a quick sail, then did a 1/2 dozen laps in the marina waiting to get fueled up and pumped out.
Old 10-13-2010
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Wait a minute. Are you saying you're supposed to register those things????

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.