Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010

mikel1 is on a distinguished road
O.K. ...After your last couple posts I may be getting on Livias side of this...I'm leaning toward the cheer leading go for it camp (don't make me say plan smart.. looks like that's already begun) I'll be following the progress...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2010
Garrett j Reed

gjreed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gjreed Send a message via Skype™ to gjreed
Hey, hailing in from San Diego.
Once you guys find a boat and get out to the west coast let me know, I have a 29 out here and I'm willing to take you guys out for some costal and some storm sailing if you come during the right time and if your want.
Old 10-17-2010
Garrett j Reed

gjreed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gjreed Send a message via Skype™ to gjreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noworries87 View Post
My buddy was the 1 saying we needed that large of a boat. When I was looking online for boats I was looking more in the 30ft range.

When I graduated highschool I lived in a 1971 VW Westfalia for 6 months and traveled from Florida through mexico, down through nicaragua, costa rica, and into Panama. And then drove back. I can live in a tight place.

And about the money situation, I started my own business here in Gainesville and its been treating me EXTREMELY well. Im not rich, but I have saved a good amount of capitol to help jumpstart this trip.

Like I said before, if anyone is willing to go please send me an email and we can talk 1 on 1 and maybe meet up for a few drinks

ja.nelson@ufl.edu
Well you might have been on a decent track with a 30' boat for taking around the world on a budget, the boat I own was taken around the world twice before Ed Hart's Circumnaviation so you can do it with a sub 30 boat but from talking to Ed it was a gnarly trip.
But there are some screaming deals on 44-50 footers around the west coast if you got the time to look.
Old 10-18-2010

Matvolver is on a distinguished road
Personally, I'd look at a big 30'er - like the Ericson 38, Tartan 37, or other bluewater boats. It sounds like you want an experienced guy to show you guys the ropes while he takes care of the sailing, at least for the first part of the trip. A bigger boat would be much tougher to singlehand.

Of course, I'm simply a landlubber dreaming of the Ocean Blue at the moment Will be very interested to see how this turns out - hope you keep posting
Old 10-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good luck finding a 40-50' boat that is capable of crossing the Pacific safely for that budget... not really realistic...
Quote:
20-30k. once we get there we want to live on it for a few years and find new surf spots nobody has ever seen or rarely go to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-18-2010

Noworries87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjreed View Post
Hey, hailing in from San Diego.
Once you guys find a boat and get out to the west coast let me know, I have a 29 out here and I'm willing to take you guys out for some costal and some storm sailing if you come during the right time and if your want.
Ya man definitely! Do you have an email or # I can contact you @?
Btw: If I do decide to live in the states, San Diego is my #1 choice. How is the cost of living over there?
Old 10-18-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
i thought the 20-30 was the cruising kitty after the boat was purchased...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 10-18-2010

Noworries87 is on a distinguished road
I talked with my buddies last night and were going to look at 30'. we just wanted to make sure there was enough room for 3-4 people so we didnt kill each other lol
Old 10-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
i thought the 20-30 was the cruising kitty after the boat was purchased...
CHECK POST #35, where he is responding to JRP...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-18-2010
Telstar 28

Quote:
I talked with my buddies last night and were going to look at 30'. we just wanted to make sure there was enough room for 3-4 people so we didnt kill each other lol
A 30' boat is going to be really tight for 3-4 people, even if they are the best of friends. You'd be better off getting something in the 35-40' range. Also, I don't know of many 30' boats that can carry enough supplies for a trans-pacific crossing for FOUR people...and you probably don't want to have to pull a Donner party...

Telstar 28
New England