SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New world speed sailing record.

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  casey1999 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
There going for the sailing around the world speed record in a very interesting trimaran called hydro'maxi will ride 10m above the surfaceof the water underway. about 30m long with a 40m mast.

#4 · (Edited)
There going for the sailing around the world speed record in a very interesting trimaran called hydro'maxi will ride 10m above the surfaceof the water underway. about 30m long with a 40m mast.
It is going to take many years before they work out all the problems they are going to find with the boat, to make it able to do that without breaking.

If you look for instance to the Hydropter, it take them almost 20 years to make it sufficiently strong to make it an offshore boat, but not strong enough to risk a Transat record attempt.

The fastest offshore long distance racers are still the big multihulls that are going to compete on the Barcelona race and also on the "Route du Rhum". This Transat is going to start this month and those huge boats are going to be sailed SOLO. I am not easily impressed, but a guy able to race solo one of those monsters has my admiration.

Regards

Paulo

#6 ·
The subject is not dead. The Hydro Maxi is a project from the Hydroptere team. They plan to build a kind of a larger version of the Hydroptere, with 30/32m to make an attempt to the Jules Verne record. There are also non limited races like "La Route du Rhum" (Transat) where they can aim for victory. But that boat is going to cost an huge amount of money and I think the project is waiting for better days and the money to come.

L'HYDROPTÈRE MAXI :: L'HYDROPTÈRE

Regards

Paulo

#8 ·
Why do people say this isn't sailing? Isn't this the goal in peoples minds that sail everyday to get to a far place quicker or a wish that they could! I think its awesome for the winds no motor to take you this fast across a body of water to a far place only everyone dreams of doing in a day !

#12 ·
Kite sailing is using the wind tho! there is more similarities but not with surfing and skateboarding! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.