Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Dirty Deeds Done (not so) Dirt Cheap

ah me.....now do any of you remember a while back we had a story concerning a yacht that arrived in port minus the skipper, who, according to the crew had fallen or jumped overboard enroute ? What's more the survivor was claiming ownership of the yacht.

Welllllllllllllllllllllllll.....read on.....

$160m cocaine bust on Brisbane yacht - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Alleged drug yacht arrives in Brisbane - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

US tip-off led to 464kg cocaine bust on luxury yacht at Scarborough | Courier Mail

Guess who one of the defendents is. Yep....Mr Survivor. Whether its the same boat or not I have no idea but I guess we'll hear about that in due course.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Imagine if they were blown off course to Indonesia?? target practice....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-15-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
So if I understand correctly, there was a cat from South America that brought the drugs to Australia, then a mono that brought them from the cat to shore. Assuming the cat was in international waters at all times (I would think that's a safe assumption), what right do the Australian officers have to detain the cat? AFAIK, there is no international law saying you may not transfer drugs in international waters. Even if contact is prohibited between Australian ships and foreign ones (there is a law something to this effect in the US; I believe such contact requires you to go through customs when you get back), that wouldn't be binding on the foreign vessel. Thoughts?
Old 10-15-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I am wondering if the authorities will be putting those three yachts up for auction? If they do some Aussie may be getting a nice boat dirt cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 10-15-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
I am wondering if the authorities will be putting those three yachts up for auction? If they do some Aussie may be getting a nice boat dirt cheap.
Yes but the traces of the drugs will always be there and every time the boat arrives in a Malaysian/Indonesian/Thai/Vietnamese/etc. port and gets swabbed for drugs, the owner will have to convince the authorities not to hang him.

No thanks, not for free.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-15-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
So if I understand correctly, there was a cat from South America that brought the drugs to Australia, then a mono that brought them from the cat to shore. Assuming the cat was in international waters at all times (I would think that's a safe assumption), what right do the Australian officers have to detain the cat? AFAIK, there is no international law saying you may not transfer drugs in international waters. Even if contact is prohibited between Australian ships and foreign ones (there is a law something to this effect in the US; I believe such contact requires you to go through customs when you get back), that wouldn't be binding on the foreign vessel. Thoughts?
Two factors: the Aussies may have a standing agreement with, or permission from, the home country of the smuggler, to enforce on their vessels. There also is a doctrine in law called "constructive presence", which allows enforcement on a vessel outside your waters if it has an effect within your jurisdiction.
Old 10-15-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
ah me.....now do any of you remember a while back we had a story concerning a yacht that arrived in port minus the skipper, who, according to the crew had fallen or jumped overboard enroute ? What's more the survivor was claiming ownership of the yacht.

Welllllllllllllllllllllllll.....read on.....

Guess who one of the defendents is. Yep....Mr Survivor. Whether its the same boat or not I have no idea but I guess we'll hear about that in due course.
Funny how someone bent on shenanigans always finds themselves in the midst of it....Like Iv always taught my kids...Choose your friends wisely.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.