Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010

jwjab is on a distinguished road
mooring gear

Hi, I have a 50 ft sail boat, 8 ft draft and 13 ft beam...I need moorning gear. Where should I go to buy / get the biggest bang for the buck for our gear?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
Forget a deal-been there done that.If you have a large amount of money hanging on the end of some chain,shackles and ground anchors take it from me you buy the most expensive heavy duty rated shackles you can get;the biggest anchors or blocks you can afford and the heaviest best quality chain you can afford.
After 3 years in the water I lost three pins out of my mooring shackles-one either side of the swivel and the final straw the one attaching the riser to the ground chain.All three events occured within a few weeks of each other every time luckily on a calm day and after I had just returned from several months away in New Zealand.
The shackles were heavy duty and appeared well made but not the best quality or rated.
My replacement system is as above!
Get a copy of Earl Hinz (USN captain retired)book- Anchoring and Mooring-a very experienced captain of small yachts and big naval ships.
Old 10-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Economizing on ground tackle is foolish. Buy the best hardware and have it installed professionally. A helical mooring would be the best for a boat the size of yours. Hamilton marine has a great page on mooring gear. You should also check to see what the local authorities REQUIRE for a boat the size of yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-15-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
Saw a frightening news article in Canada on fraudulent Chinese castings being marketed as top-notch rigging and mooring shackles. Failures were occurring at something like 15% of rated loads. Mooring gear may not be the place you want to be bottom-feeding for deals.
Old 10-16-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
Thats what caught me out plus interesting you mention Canada because the firm I buy from has an expanding base in Canada-they began providing serious equipment for trawling and fishfarming and then branched into the leisure market.
Worrying thing is that I bought two lots of shackles from them both appearing to be the same.The first lot although unbranded are drop forged steel(IE created in a press by forging)and still in a good state after 3 years in salt waterThe second lot clearly the cast steel/very poor caste steel Chinese variety-half eaten away and the threads completely gone which is why the pins dropped!
Retirate preferably marked rated shackles from reputable maker-and one of the best which I am using is of US manufacture-they import them over here for use on cranes.