Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Storm? Remove Your Anchors Please...

Some of you will remember my many rantings about folks leaving anchors on their bows, in exposed mooring fields, during rough weather. If your mooring filed has the fetch to build waves that can pitch the bow of your boat then it is rather rude & inconsiderate to the boaters around you, who may get hit by your drifting boat to not remove your anchor when a blow is expected. Many times chafe comes from the chocks but after motoring around the anchorage the morning after this short storm I saw that most of the chafe was anchor related.

This thread was posted a while ago (Storm Prep - LINK)

Well, for some time now, I have been trying to capture the "moment" on film to really drive the point home about removing your anchor fro the bow if a storm is coming. Some folks actually get it, but still many don't. I think this Island Packet is a prime example of "my anchors are protected by a bow sprit, I don't need to remove them" line of reasoning.

Here it goes:

Both Pendants Still Intact But Hooked On A Delta / Still Holding But Chafing Badly:

And DOWN!!!

And UP! And SNAP!!!!!

The Parted Port Pendant IS Blowing Back Against The Hull:

Notice The Delta Anchor Holding The REMAINING Pendant And The Bend In It:

This boat owner was VERY, VERY lucky that the storm was winding down as these pics were taken. The remaining pendant actually held and was still holding as of 5:00 pm this evening. Let's hope it holds till his/her boat is hauled.

PLEASE, if not for your boat, think of the others around you and what your boat would do in 30+ knots drifting through an anchorage after the anchor has sliced through the pendants. I watched it happen in real time, it leaves a pit in your stomach. Thank god MOST moorings in Falmouth are dual pendant rigged. This boat owner came very close to owning a pile of off white fiberglass splinters..:doh:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 10-16-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Holy crap, maine!!!! You took those pics?

Very nice illustration of what not to do!

Why did the bow submarine like that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 10-15-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Holy crap, maine!!!! You took those pics?
Yes, this morning on the way to drop of at day care..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Why did the bow submarine like that?
Nor' Easters build fast and the wave periods are short. We also have about a 1.5 mile fetch to the NE in this anchorage. When I went to bed last night at around 10:45 there was no wind at 3:30 am I was woken up by it raining sideways in our bedroom and the bed was drenched cause the window had been left open to enjoy the fall air.. It was probably blowing 35 and gusting to 45+ at that point.

The boats have to ride up and over the waves and they come off one wave peak and dive into a trough. Then they do it all over again. This why it is DUMB to leave an anchor on the bow of a boat when high winds are expected and your mooring filed has some fetch. Even three footers can wreak havoc on a mooring field if anchors are on the bow.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 10-16-2010

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
it blew44.7 knots at 850am at buoy44007.a blustery morning in portland
Old 10-16-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
With all due respect Maine, I did not know of your views of removing anchors when at a mooring.I would like to hear your views on this.

{Pls forgive my ignorance from 10-15000nm away},but at first thought, ;

I have had discussions with racing types (as opposed to cruising types) about storing ground tackle where it cannot be quickly utilised.

I have been in rough enough stuff to bend a 12mm Ronstan shackle and 10mm turnbuckle holding [ instead of lashing] my main anchor. After this I still resisted any urge to remove the anchor from its [always ready] location.

On more than one occasion, I have had to up-anchor in a very undesirable locale. I like my anchor gear ready. I have been at anchor [and gratefully so] in situations where the bows go for a dip.

However, I would absolutely never allow the flukes of the anchor to get hooked up in the mooring line. That is just poor and sloppy seamanship. [As is also demonstrated by the slack halyards, flopping about.]

He appears to have the mooring line go through the anchor roller, halfway off the bowsprit. Again, not a seaman's choice.

Well spotted

Old 10-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Removing an anchor from the bow roller doesn't necessarily mean putting it where it cannot be deployed in a hurry. If you have a danforth type anchor, you could stow it on a rail mount pretty easily. It is a bit more difficult with the Plow and Scoop type anchors, but not impossible. Also, if your anchor locker is deep enough with a large enough hatch, you might be able to stow it in the locker itself.

In the first photo you can clearly see that the mooring pendants are coming off the bow, not running up the bowsprit at all.

I would also wonder what kind of damage the anchor did when it first got pulled down into that position by the anchor rodes. The bow clearly shows a second anchor stowed on the roller, and the first anchor is hanging much lower than the second. If it wasn't stowed and secured in the fully retracted position, then that would have gone a long way to contributing to this situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
With all due respect Maine, I did not know of your views of removing anchors when at a mooring.I would like to hear your views on this.

{Pls forgive my ignorance from 10-15000nm away},but at first thought, ;

I have had discussions with racing types (as opposed to cruising types) about storing ground tackle where it cannot be quickly utilised.

I have been in rough enough stuff to bend a 12mm Ronstan shackle and 10mm turnbuckle holding [ instead of lashing] my main anchor. After this I still resisted any urge to remove the anchor from its [always ready] location.

On more than one occasion, I have had to up-anchor in a very undesirable locale. I like my anchor gear ready. I have been at anchor [and gratefully so] in situations where the bows go for a dip.

However, I would absolutely never allow the flukes of the anchor to get hooked up in the mooring line. That is just poor and sloppy seamanship. [As is also demonstrated by the slack halyards, flopping about.]

He appears to have the mooring line go through the anchor roller, halfway off the bowsprit. Again, not a seaman's choice.

Well spotted

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-16-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-16-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Great shots, MS, that IP owner (and his neighbours) were fortunate indeed...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-16-2010

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Awareness campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Some of you will remember my many rantings about folks who leave anchors on their bows, in exposed mooring fields during rough weather. If your mooring filed has the fetch to build waves that can pitch the bow of your boat then it is rather rude & inconsiderate to the boaters around you, who may get hit by your drifting boat before it is smashed to pieces on the rocks, to not remove your anchor when a blow is expected.

This thread was posted a while ago (Storm Prep - LINK)

PLEASE, if not for your boat, think of the others around you and what your boat would do in 30+ knots drifting through an anchorage after the anchor has sliced through the pendants. I watched it happen in real time, it leaves a pit in your stomach. Thank god MOST moorings in Falmouth are dual pendant rigged. This boat owner came very close to owning a pile of off white fiberglass splinters..:doh:
Obtaining voice-of-experience information like this is one of the reasons I became a member of Sailnet in the first place. I don't use a mooring at the moment (but will likely someday) and I hadn't seen your original posts on this topic Main Sail, and so was oblivious to this issue until I noticed this post. The pictures are worth a thousand words and will do a lot to put to rest some of the inevitable opinions that otherwise would be expressed to the contrary.

It was interesting reading a response to your prior post on this topic that indicated only a small percentage of the moored boats were doing the right thing and removing their anchors. I would have been one of those, simply out of ignorance of the problem. I certainly would appreciate someone calling this risk to my attention, rather than unknowingly allowing my boat and others around me to be left at risk.

Of course creating this awareness is the purpose our your making this post - thank you! Clearly many are still not getting the word though - must not be closely monitoring Sailnet .

If my boat was in a mooring field like one shown in your pics, I'd be tempted to print off a bunch of copies of this thread (including the pics), put them each in a plastic bag with "For your consideration" sharpied on the bag, and go around with a tender tossing a copy into the cockpits of the boats with an anchor left on the bow. I for one would appreciate finding such useful information.
Old 10-16-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
In the first photo you can clearly see that the mooring pendants are coming off the bow, not running up the bowsprit at all.

Yeah SD, I see that now - my mistake from earlier

I would also wonder what kind of damage the anchor when it first got pulled down into that position by the anchor rodes. The bow clearly shows a second anchor stowed on the roller, and the first anchor is hanging much lower than the second. If it wasn't stowed and secured in the fully retracted position, then that would have gone a long way to contributing to this situation.

Yes, Its not pretty and was obviously close to causing other dramas. It has made me think - I have 2 anchors set up, with individual, independant chain. I am thinking that if I was on a mooring, I would have only one anchor up on deck and from teh outer bow roller, run the mooring line - so it is clear of any and all potential snags.

Old 10-16-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
Nice sequence of pictures! Thanks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.