Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010

toxicdebt is on a distinguished road
Marina's that will help launch the boat?

I would like to know, what percentage (approx) of marina's will help launch and recover a 22 or 25 foot sailboat? Do they usually charge a fee? Must you be a member? I am mainly interested in the southeast region (Georgia, North and South Carolina), and other areas of the US.

Last edited by toxicdebt; 10-16-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Many marinas will launch or haul a 22-25' sailboat. Most will charge a fee per foot. They do not require you to be a member, since they are businesses. Yacht clubs on the other hand may require membership, and some will have the facilities to haul and launch a sailboat that size. Small sailboats like that can be hauled and launched using a wide variety of equipment including forklifts, travellifts, and hydraulic trailers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-21-2010

If you own a sailboat can you leave it somewhere anchored in the lake to avoid paying the slip fees? The lake I am thinking is Lake Lanier or Lake Allatoona.
Old 10-21-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicdebt View Post
If you own a sailboat can you leave it somewhere anchored in the lake to avoid paying the slip fees? The lake I am thinking is Lake Lanier or Lake Allatoona.
You may be permitted to leave it on anchor, if you do it will end up on the beach and you will wish you had paid for a proper way to secure it.

Search the forum for distantstar.
Old 10-22-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
If you own a sailboat can you leave it somewhere anchored in the lake to avoid paying the slip fees?
If you can't afford to own a sailboat, you shouldn't own one.
Old 10-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
If you can't afford to own a sailboat, you shouldn't own one.
Of course I could leave the boat in a marina, but if there is a better solution that makes more sense then I will do that.
Old 10-22-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Of course I could leave the boat in a marina, but if there is a better solution that makes more sense then I will do that.
So leaving a boat unattended, at anchor, represents to you a better solution that makes more sense than berthing it in a secure marina?

Please reread sailingfool's post.
Old 10-22-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I think you are confusing anchoring with mooring. A mooring is a perfectly acceptable way to keep a boat for the sailing season. An anchor is not. Each area will have it's own reguations regarding the setting of moorings. Some mooring areas are controlled by a harbormaster and/or require a permit. Other areas are largely unregulated. You will have to check the regulations in the area you propose to moor the boat. And you may be surprised at the cost of buying a proper mooring and having it set.
Old 10-22-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If the boat is attended and occupied, then anchoring out is a viable solution for longer periods of time. If the boat is NOT OCCUPIED, then you really should either get a mooring or a slip.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.