Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Thankyou for proving my point about nutter red necks.

You genuinely believe "packing hot lead for our asses" is a considered, reasonable approach which will convince countries like mine to open our arms to you and let you in firearms and all because clearly you are a responsible individual who would of course would never abuse deadly force???
Oh come on, I am neither a nut or a redneck, lighten up. I didn't mean to make anyone all upset with my attempt at humor.

I am not interested in guns at all, especially to the the point of endangering you or my host country with crazy cowboy shoot em up behavior. I think many cruisers can argue that there are dangers you can encounter on the sea that you might need to defend yourself from. There are any number of reasons why a cruising couple might need to defend themselves, espeically if they put themselves "way out there" in certain areas of the world.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Seriously though, I'm packing heat when we go. Is that nuts? I don't think so at all.
What communication system do you have? VHF. SSB. Sat Phone. MF Are you licensed to use them. Do you have a station license?

What are your carrying in your first aid kit? AED. Morpine. Gravol in suppository form. Dental extraction kit. Sutures?

What first aid / medical emergency training have you taken?

What is in your grab bag?

When was your liferaft tested?

Is your EPIRB registered?

Have you practiced your MOB? Upwind? Downwind? Anderson? Williamson?

Are you using a drogue or a sea anchor?

How many anchors are you carrying? What types? How much chain / rode?

Are your charts up to date?

These are some of the real questions.

Now if you are really worried about dying at sea, do not go. The sea will kill more often than pirates.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-18-2010

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Oh come on, I am neither a nut or a redneck, lighten up. I didn't mean to make anyone all upset with my attempt at humor.

I am not interested in guns at all, especially to the the point of endangering you or my host country with crazy cowboy shoot em up behavior. I think many cruisers can argue that there are dangers you can encounter on the sea that you might need to defend yourself from. There are any number of reasons why a cruising couple might need to defend themselves, espeically if they put themselves "way out there" in certain areas of the world.
I'm not upset man it is all good....

But there are extremist views (yes on BOTH sides) and so I must admit I didn't take what you said as humour......a couple of usually does the trick!

Cruiser's could definitively argue that......however the counter argument is that they are very difficult to impossible to have onboard for your typical world cruiser so it is actually a mote point....this may be getting a little away from the OP's original question though.

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2010

DubeJ is on a distinguished road
i like how those in favor of guns get so much slack, as if it makes us bad people..
I absolutely agree with most of you about the laws and the rights and the thinking that Americans are better, blah blah blah, but as for the most part, I was just answering the question.
Owning a gun does not make someone, it is how they use it, much like owning a sailboat does not make you a sailor.
Old 10-19-2010
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
What communication system do you have? VHF. SSB. Sat Phone. MF Are you licensed to use them. Do you have a station license?

What are your carrying in your first aid kit? AED. Morpine. Gravol in suppository form. Dental extraction kit. Sutures?

Now if you are really worried about dying at sea, do not go. The sea will kill more often than pirates.
None of your questions are stumpers, we could discuss/debate passage making all day long. The sea I can handle. None of that has anything to do with the gun topic though, so I am not sure why you asked all those questions.

Anyhow, I feel no need to make a big deal out of cruising with a gun, this is not a huge issue for me. If you, or anyone else choose not to cruise with a gun, great. I would though, does that make me less of a sailor to you somehow? Truth is, either way, in any situation for either of us while underway, we both might wish we'd gone the other way on the topic. Let's hope neither of us ever have to find out.

Plus, there are sharktopi out there, so there is also that.
Old 10-19-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
I see you note there are exceptions, but in this case, I think there are so many exceptions you can't consider it a general rule.
Yeah, I can. Especially compared to the image portrayed by the "news" media, Hollyweird and the anti-gun organizations here in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world. These would have the world believe the average U.S. citizen can walk into their friendly local gun store, buy a fully-automatic assault rifle and walk out. Ain't true and hasn't been since the days of John Dillinger.

Quote:
But an M16, an AK47, or any other machine gun (even vehicle-mounted ones), manufactured before 1986, is legal to purchase, own, and use, provided you comply with your state's laws,
Some states prohibit them entirely. Michigan being one of them. (I think there's a grandfather clause for those already owned when the ban went into effect. I'm not real clear on Michigan's full-auto law, because I've little interest in owning one--if for no other reason than I can't afford it.)

Quote:
(and the cost of the firearm itself, which is sky high due to the short supply caused by the ban).
"Sky high" as in several thousands of dollars per firearm.

Jim
Old 10-19-2010

Quote:
But there are extremist views (yes on BOTH sides) ...
And, as already written, all it takes is one of them to let 'er rip and off we go!

Quote:
...and so I must admit I didn't take what you said as humour......a couple of usually does the trick!
I believe that's what the was all about

Quote:
...this may be getting a little away from the OP's original question though.
Bound to happen. Always does. But as long as we can all keep it civil, it's all good, in my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubeJ View Post
i like how those in favor of guns get so much slack, as if it makes us bad people..
There are several things at work that make gun-owning Americans look like John Waynes or Rambos to the rest of the world. No use complaining about it or criticizing the critics. It is what it is. Let it go. You're not going to change anybody's mind. Trust me on this one.

Jim
Old 10-19-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Having once had my front door kicked in by armed inturders in a nice neighborhood during the peak hours of a weekday afternoon I myself feel it is best to have a gun and not need it, then to need one and not have it. The scar on my head from being pistol whipped and the rememberance of just how close I came to meeting my maker is more than enough reason for me to justify carrying a firearm. So I say that yes,I will have a firearm, and I will keep it locked away and I hope it gets about as much use as my life raft will.
Old 10-19-2010
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

Quote:
None of your questions are stumpers, we could discuss/debate passage making all day long. The sea I can handle. None of that has anything to do with the gun topic though, so I am not sure why you asked all those questions.
Exactly..... ChrisnKate.
Jackdale, please stay on the topic. It is so pathetic. If you want to talk how much you know, please start your own thread. If you can't stay on the topic, you are not welcome here. Let it go, please.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Exactly..... ChrisnKate.
Jackdale, please stay on the topic.
I'd argue that his point is on-topic. Or at least as on-topic as many of the other comments in this thread. He's trying to put the "need" for a firearm aboard into perspective, just as I was doing in relating why I sometimes carry on shore, and why chall03 and erps have in some of their comments. You may not agree with Jack's reasoning, but that doesn't necessarily make it any less valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
It is so pathetic. If you want to talk how much you know, please start your own thread.
These are some of the kinds of comments, personal attacks, that cause threads to go wrong. Please refrain from them. Thank you.

Jim