Do you carry firearms while cruising? - Page 11 - SailNet Community
 35Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 335 Old 10-19-2010
old guy :)
 
rikhall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Posts: 1,060
Thanks: 13
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
Having once had my front door kicked in by armed inturders in a nice neighborhood during the peak hours of a weekday afternoon
Well, from what you say, we know that where you live is probably a pretty scarey place, but, what about where you sail / cruise??? I asked a day ago "Has anybody needed a gun on your boat against armed intruders in the US where you sail?" - no answers. I KNOW you cannot prove a negative and that 'no response" proves little as well. But - do we have any first hand experince here? Not "my barber told me about his cousin who heard the paper boy say . . . "

And yes - I know the mantra that it is "better to have it and not need it . . ." But I also don't carry a parachute with me at all times.

Rik

Irwin Citation 34
Mystery
rikhall is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 335 Old 10-19-2010 Thread Starter
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,531
Thanks: 24
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Bound to happen. Always does. But as long as we can all keep it civil, it's all good, in my view.
Yes, respect each others view. This is a free world, we make our own choices, we pick out our religion, we buy our own boat, we marry our own lady. It is certainly improper to force me to try your woman.


Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
rockDAWG is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #103 of 335 Old 10-19-2010
NON member
 
AE28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 546
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
It is certainly improper to force me to try your woman.
AE28 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #104 of 335 Old 10-19-2010 Thread Starter
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 2,531
Thanks: 24
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
. The scar on my head from being pistol whipped and the rememberance of just how close I came to meeting my maker is more than enough reason for me to justify carrying a firearm. So I say that yes,I will have a firearm, and I will keep it locked away and I hope it gets about as much use as my life raft will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
I asked a day ago "Has anybody needed a gun on your boat against armed intruders in the US where you sail?" - no answers.

Rik
Both you and Trisstan have stated your own reason. Both are perfectly valid reasons, I respect that. From your and many others replies, I will form my own decision. Since I am not a gun person, it will be a burden for me to learn to properly handle a gun. The risk outweigh the benefit in my case. I will most likes not to carry a gun on my vessel. I will stay away from any problem areas. But I think within the U.S. coastal water, I feel safe.

Thank you for those expressed their views. I did not realize how deeply rooted of this controversy.

Life is short but good. Use it fully.


Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
rockDAWG is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #105 of 335 Old 10-19-2010
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,050
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
Well, from what you say, we know that where you live is probably a pretty scarey place, but, what about where you sail / cruise??? I asked a day ago "Has anybody needed a gun on your boat against armed intruders in the US where you sail?" - no answers. I KNOW you cannot prove a negative and that 'no response" proves little as well. But - do we have any first hand experince here? Not "my barber told me about his cousin who heard the paper boy say . . . "

And yes - I know the mantra that it is "better to have it and not need it . . ." But I also don't carry a parachute with me at all times.

Rik
Have you ever used the fire extinguisher on your boat?

Do you believe the fire extinguisher on your boat can handle any possible fire you might encouter?

Same logic applies to carrying a gun. Its no use until you need it. It might not be enough to actually solve the problem. However, it might just save the day.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
PalmettoSailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #106 of 335 Old 10-19-2010
Sundance 23
 
carl762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 878
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Well put.

Ooooo, this thread is so entertaining. I marvel at the fear some of you folks exhibit about guns in general. There's no changing your minds, and I won't even try. It's the same on any forum, any subject.

Guns are tools, like fire extinguishers. Yes.

When I was a kid, my dad and other kids' dads taught us about firearms, and safety, hunting, etc. Back when men were still men .

Who knows what the modern liberals teach their kids. Scares the hell out of me, quite frankly.

Water is Life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by carl762; 10-19-2010 at 01:02 PM.
carl762 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #107 of 335 Old 10-19-2010
Admirals fav target
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: On land unfortunately
Posts: 228
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Actually, yeah, at our marina we did have someone try to break into our boat while we were sleeping onboard. They fell coming down the campanion way which woke everyone up and they were so startled when the fell that they jumped up and ran off. I don't know if they were armed but I saw enough to know there were at least 3 of them. I have no idea what would have happened if they had all managed to make it onto the boat but I definately sleep next to something a little bit stronger than a knife now.
Generally, our marina is VERY safe and nothing like this has ever happened before or since. In fact, the marina is so considered so safe by most of the boat owners that they don't even lock up their boats when they're gone.

Cruise me!
NCountry is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #108 of 335 Old 10-19-2010
Member
 
W3ODF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 39
Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Send a message via Skype™ to W3ODF
I like the fire extinguisher analogy.

The little pocket lakes around my area have had several criminal issues. I watched a domestic altercation while I was pulling my kayak. A friend of mine was propositioned for oral sex from a male prostitute at the State Park Marina Launch. And another launch area had a robbery. I am glad the sea is much safer. I can't wait to get away from the perps who flock to the waterside.

Brian W3ODF
Quib Quib, 12' O'Day Widgeon

Last edited by W3ODF; 10-19-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Not worth starting another argument
W3ODF is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #109 of 335 Old 10-19-2010
Senior Member
 
remetau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Have you ever used the fire extinguisher on your boat?
Yes. Had an alcohol stove fire on our previous boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Do you believe the fire extinguisher on your boat can handle any possible fire you might encouter?
Most likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Same logic applies to carrying a gun. Its no use until you need it. It might not be enough to actually solve the problem. However, it might just save the day.
But I doubt somebody would steal my extinguisher and commit a crime with it let alone kill somebody with it.

I'm also not likely to kill another person with it by accident.

I'm also not likely to escalate a situation by pulling out my extinguisher.

I'm not saying that you don't have a right to carry a firearm if you deem it appropriate, but I have no use for it.

Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
remetau is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #110 of 335 Old 10-19-2010
Senior Member
 
remetau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3ODF View Post
A friend of mine was propositioned for oral sex from a male prostitute at the State Park Marina Launch.
Did he pull out his gun?
Windkiller likes this.

Don & Diana
sv Re Metau an HC33t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
remetau is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firearms ISLANDCHIEF60 General Discussion (sailing related) 126 04-21-2012 04:45 PM
carry-on A.C. QuickMick Gear & Maintenance 0 04-26-2010 01:01 PM
Firearms Aboard in MD nailbunnySPU Living Aboard 18 04-21-2009 12:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome