Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
Having once had my front door kicked in by armed inturders in a nice neighborhood during the peak hours of a weekday afternoon
Well, from what you say, we know that where you live is probably a pretty scarey place, but, what about where you sail / cruise??? I asked a day ago "Has anybody needed a gun on your boat against armed intruders in the US where you sail?" - no answers. I KNOW you cannot prove a negative and that 'no response" proves little as well. But - do we have any first hand experince here? Not "my barber told me about his cousin who heard the paper boy say . . . "

And yes - I know the mantra that it is "better to have it and not need it . . ." But I also don't carry a parachute with me at all times.

Rik
Old 10-19-2010
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Bound to happen. Always does. But as long as we can all keep it civil, it's all good, in my view.
Yes, respect each others view. This is a free world, we make our own choices, we pick out our religion, we buy our own boat, we marry our own lady. It is certainly improper to force me to try your woman.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
It is certainly improper to force me to try your woman.
Old 10-19-2010
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
. The scar on my head from being pistol whipped and the rememberance of just how close I came to meeting my maker is more than enough reason for me to justify carrying a firearm. So I say that yes,I will have a firearm, and I will keep it locked away and I hope it gets about as much use as my life raft will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
I asked a day ago "Has anybody needed a gun on your boat against armed intruders in the US where you sail?" - no answers.

Rik
Both you and Trisstan have stated your own reason. Both are perfectly valid reasons, I respect that. From your and many others replies, I will form my own decision. Since I am not a gun person, it will be a burden for me to learn to properly handle a gun. The risk outweigh the benefit in my case. I will most likes not to carry a gun on my vessel. I will stay away from any problem areas. But I think within the U.S. coastal water, I feel safe.

Thank you for those expressed their views. I did not realize how deeply rooted of this controversy.

Life is short but good. Use it fully.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-19-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
Well, from what you say, we know that where you live is probably a pretty scarey place, but, what about where you sail / cruise??? I asked a day ago "Has anybody needed a gun on your boat against armed intruders in the US where you sail?" - no answers. I KNOW you cannot prove a negative and that 'no response" proves little as well. But - do we have any first hand experince here? Not "my barber told me about his cousin who heard the paper boy say . . . "

And yes - I know the mantra that it is "better to have it and not need it . . ." But I also don't carry a parachute with me at all times.

Rik
Have you ever used the fire extinguisher on your boat?

Do you believe the fire extinguisher on your boat can handle any possible fire you might encouter?

Same logic applies to carrying a gun. Its no use until you need it. It might not be enough to actually solve the problem. However, it might just save the day.
Old 10-19-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Well put.

Ooooo, this thread is so entertaining. I marvel at the fear some of you folks exhibit about guns in general. There's no changing your minds, and I won't even try. It's the same on any forum, any subject.

Guns are tools, like fire extinguishers. Yes.

When I was a kid, my dad and other kids' dads taught us about firearms, and safety, hunting, etc. Back when men were still men .

Who knows what the modern liberals teach their kids. Scares the hell out of me, quite frankly.

Last edited by carl762; 10-19-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2010
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
Actually, yeah, at our marina we did have someone try to break into our boat while we were sleeping onboard. They fell coming down the campanion way which woke everyone up and they were so startled when the fell that they jumped up and ran off. I don't know if they were armed but I saw enough to know there were at least 3 of them. I have no idea what would have happened if they had all managed to make it onto the boat but I definately sleep next to something a little bit stronger than a knife now.
Generally, our marina is VERY safe and nothing like this has ever happened before or since. In fact, the marina is so considered so safe by most of the boat owners that they don't even lock up their boats when they're gone.
Old 10-19-2010

W3ODF is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to W3ODF
I like the fire extinguisher analogy.

The little pocket lakes around my area have had several criminal issues. I watched a domestic altercation while I was pulling my kayak. A friend of mine was propositioned for oral sex from a male prostitute at the State Park Marina Launch. And another launch area had a robbery. I am glad the sea is much safer. I can't wait to get away from the perps who flock to the waterside.

Last edited by W3ODF; 10-19-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Not worth starting another argument
Old 10-19-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Have you ever used the fire extinguisher on your boat?
Yes. Had an alcohol stove fire on our previous boat.

Quote:
Do you believe the fire extinguisher on your boat can handle any possible fire you might encouter?
Most likely

Quote:
Same logic applies to carrying a gun. Its no use until you need it. It might not be enough to actually solve the problem. However, it might just save the day.
But I doubt somebody would steal my extinguisher and commit a crime with it let alone kill somebody with it.

I'm also not likely to kill another person with it by accident.

I'm also not likely to escalate a situation by pulling out my extinguisher.

I'm not saying that you don't have a right to carry a firearm if you deem it appropriate, but I have no use for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3ODF View Post
A friend of mine was propositioned for oral sex from a male prostitute at the State Park Marina Launch.
Did he pull out his gun?
Windkiller likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.