Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Sorry mate, that has to be the biggest load of BS ever said.

That comment is all I am complaining about. You carry 'arms' if you want to, but you do not have any legal standing anywhere in the civilised world.

Firearms must be declared and in most countries, they will be held in bond until you leave.

As to this post - let us agree that we think differently. I wont say any more on it.
You didn't read the law I quoted did you. I'm speaking of international waters/high seas, not territorial waters of another country. My country's laws apply to me while I'm on the high seas. Show me where it says otherwise. Show me where I said the laws of my country extends into other countries. Show me where I even hinted I would not respect the laws of other countries.

You're mistaken St. Anna. Prove me wrong.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 10-19-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2010

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Wink

Like clockwork, this topic raises its entertaining head every year sometime between haul-outs and spring launches. Methinks people are suffering withdrawals a little early this year.

The thing that seems odd to me is the most strident advocates of weapons are in the USA (landlockíd and East Coast states mostly). This is a place where, if you exclude West Marine, there is no piracy to speak of. So Iím wondering if these skippers are actually arming to protect themselves from the unmentionable, unimaginable. Iím talking MUTINY fellas! I donít know where you guys are finding crew, but perhaps you should look elsewhere. A skipper shouldnít have to use a gun to encourage a crewman to ďgrind fasterĒ. Likewise, a skipper shouldnít fear getting tossed overboard if he is extolling his crew to short tack up the city front. I think Iím on to something because, have you noticed, female skippers never see the need to be armed. Iím beginning to think that they make for better skippers. Again, have you noticed that the West Coast skippers tend not to be armed? Is it our laid back surfer culture? Some of the Northwest skippers are big advocates for weaponry and Iím thinking that with all the rain up there, they can only find manically depressed crew. Then there was the guy who was planning on sailing to Alaska and was fearful of marauding bears swimming out to the anchorage and ravaging him in his bunk. Think about it, this is all starting to make sense. Mutiny Ė the skipperís secret fear.

Next week Iíll be sailing down to Cabo San Lucas, unarmed and unafraid. Yup, narco war Mexico, sailing down the smuggler route, anchoring in remote bays etc. Iíll let you guys know how I fare when (if?) I get back.
Old 10-19-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
But if you wake up thinking or knowing that some one has boarded your boat. Please remember those trip wires & nail boards so you don't fall into your own booby-traps. Painic mode can cause you or your SO major pains. So be careful if you go this route....
Voice of personal experience talking?

Jim
Old 10-19-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
Me, personally, I know of no one who has needed a firearm while cruising on board in Canada nor in the US of A. I do know personally those who have needed a fire extinguisher.
So a fire is a foreseeable emergency that you should be prepared to deal with, but an armed intruder whose intent is to hurt you and your family is an impossibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
If someone were to steal (or try to steal) my dingy or outboard, it would never cross my mind to shoot them (or at them). Its only a thing.
It would never cross my either, but what if their intent was to rape your wife and daughter before taking your dingy?

I think current events in your Country aptly illustrate that you can find evil in unexpected places.
Old 10-19-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
.......Nor would I draw a gun on someone breaking into my boat while I am sleeping in a marina in the states.
This is the only scenario that I think justifies a gun aboard. As soon as you awake, the bad guy is most likely going to run like heck. Be sure not to block their exit and force them in a corner. However, if they do not flee, they will be exactly the type of criminal that you will need a firearm to defend against.
Old 10-19-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post

Next week I’ll be sailing down to Cabo San Lucas, unarmed and unafraid. Yup, narco war Mexico, sailing down the smuggler route, anchoring in remote bays etc. I’ll let you guys know how I fare when (if?) I get back.
Yep, Mexico like other "civilized" countries would crucify a Gringo for merely possessing a firearm, though they are incapable of controlling rampant crime in the country including beheadings of Law Enforcement Officials with the audacity to look into the murder of an American boater (we'll Jetskier anyway).

Good luck, we all really hope you're not the next to earn 15 minutes of fame as a international crime victim.
Old 10-19-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Next week I’ll be sailing down to Cabo San Lucas, unarmed and unafraid.
Good for you. Have a safe trip. What I expect is that you'll get nothing but respect for your decision from the folks with an opposing view. No smart ass remarks, no questions on your motive or your rational. It's too bad that respect doesn't go both ways.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 10-19-2010

Quote:
most of you are just speculating and are just weekend warriors.
Of course people are just speculating. What else? And what's a "weekend warrior," in this context?

Quote:
You lot only base your views on your own daily experiences.
Nope. Have had no daily experiences, or experiences at all, with crime, so far, other than my cars having stuff stolen out of them on three different occasions.

Quote:
Jeez, it must be scarily bad over there.
Not particularly. In fact: Contrary to what people think they know: Our over-all crime rate isn't nearly at the top of the heap, internationally. You'd be surprised at some of the countries that have higher over-all crime rates than does the U.S.

Quote:
Now Jim, in answer to your question; hypothetical situation - you walk/ sail with your family into a drug deal and you pull out your firearm. [because, as erps did say; you feel that somehow you have a 'right' ]
Yeah, except that's not how a rational person would behave. A rational person would take stock of the situation and think "Okay, I'm just going to get the hell outta here."

You see: This is just the attitude to which I referred earler: People thinking that armed Americans, just because they're armed, automatically become John Waynes and Rambos.

Doesn't happen. It doesn't happen probably thousands, perhaps millions of times a day, here in the Wild, Wild West.

Quote:
What the issue is about for me is that it is arrogance that makes someone feel they need to have a firearm when cruising to other cultures.
"Arrogance?" Now it's arrogance to wish to possess the means to defend you and yours when you're in a strange land? Okay, xenophobia, I'll give you. But "arrogance?" Where do you get that from? Arrogance would be reflected in the confidence that these other cultures are obviously so inferior to ours that the denizens wouldn't conceivably think of attacking us.

You want to see arrogance, perhaps you should look in the mirror?

Quote:
Anyway , you go for it Jim.
Go for what? Have you even read my comments? Apparently not. I've been counseling against carrying arms while cruising.

Jim
Old 10-19-2010
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3ODF View Post
CNC,

Very salient concerns. I have read similar stories on Noonsite. Something to also keep in mind is advance detection of someone coming onto the boat surreptitiously. Having a weapon is near useless if you cannot access it (i.e. asleep). Can you lock the hatch to your boat while you are asleep? Is there such thing as a proximity alarm (might even double for other boats and debris getting close while you are anchored. It might also become a nuisance as well and then it gets disregarded making less than worthless.
I plan on using any and all tools at my disposal (tacks on deck like Slocum used, trip lines, etc). It won't consume my life or anything, but I will take precautions as a default setting. And carry a gun once we leave and go offshore. I can't for the life of me figure out why any cruiser wouldn't take as many precautions as possible.

I am also truly amazed at the reaction of many of the other nationalities posting here. If I make it to your country, I hope I feel safe enough to share your viewpoint on gun ownership. I cant even imagine what it would feel like to not feel like a gun is a good idea for protection of your home/boat. I live 15 minutes from Baltimore though, and murders and brutal crime just exist here on a daily basis (not in my neighborhood of course). Maybe that clouds my view...

For the non americans here, keep in mind, the US is a violent place sometimes. We are all nuts here, and totally armed. It's cultural...
Old 10-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
You didn't read the law I quoted did you.
I think he's not reading most of what others are writing that does not agree with his world view.

(Yes, somebody finally annoyed me. But, you'll note, not because of their opposing view.)

Jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.