Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Oh crap , here we go again.

Look the whole world knows how dear to the heart of the average citizen of the good ol' USA is the 2nd Amendment but to be frank we don't really care. It is your right and privilege....in the USA....nowhere else.

If you take guns into most other nations around the globe you will at best have them confiscated, at worse you'll go to gaol, indeed you'll go directly to gaol, 'go' is not a waypoint on this particular chart, nor is collecting $200.00.

Now you may well sit on your high horse and let those damned fureners know that they are trampling on your Gard Given Rights but you'll be doing it, eg, in an Indonesion gaol, and that is not a fun place to be, high horse or no high horse. Of course there may well be people reading this who are not in the least bit threatened by the thought of unprotected anal sex, hiv-aids, dysentry and hepatitis though I suspect their number is few so I'm preaching to the rest of you.

The point then really is moot. Whether you would like to carry, whether it is you right and privilege to do so you would be a very silly person indeed if you did so outside of US territory.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-17-2010

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like TDW wishes he could but lives in the wrong country and would ever figure out which end to point at the target
Old 10-18-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
The problem is that most in the US don't even know the full text of the 2nd amendment.... they just like to cut off that part about a well regulated militia being the reason we all get to have our guns..... look it up and read it.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny33 View Post
Sounds like TDW wishes he could but lives in the wrong country and would ever figure out which end to point at the target
English- do you speak it?
Old 10-18-2010

DubeJ is on a distinguished road
I will carry when I am out, every time. I will carry a .44 mag lever action, as the same size round works for a revolver. I know that it is a hassle, but I have arrested too many pirates and been around too much bad stuff to not. I wish I didn't know what I know, but then again, don't we all.
Old 10-18-2010
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da :)

Sixpoint is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
The problem is that most in the US don't even know the full text of the 2nd amendment.... they just like to cut off that part about a well regulated militia being the reason we all get to have our guns..... look it up and read it.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

That's every bit of it, according to the national archives...

Bill of Rights Transcript
Old 10-18-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Oh crap , here we go again.
You made a very valid point, that carrying a firearm in many locals can result in significant legal complications. What may be legal in the US, should not be construed to be legal elsewhere.

That point could also have been made without being quite so condescending and inflammatory.

Just sayin'...
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2010
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
CB, More reading for you

You might do a bit more reading:

"The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that protects the right to keep and bear arms. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, along with the rest of the Bill of Rights.

Two Supreme Court rulings, District of Columbia v. Heller (2008) and McDonald v. Chicago (2010), clarified the meaning of the Second Amendment. In Heller, the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm (unconnected to service in a militia)[1][2] and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Additionally, the Court enumerated several longstanding prohibitions and restrictions on firearms possession that it found were consistent with the Second Amendment.[3] In McDonald, the Court determined that the Second Amendment limits state and local governmental authority to the same extent that it limits federal authority."
Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
Old 10-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubeJ View Post
I will carry when I am out, every time. I will carry a .44 mag lever action, as the same size round works for a revolver. I know that it is a hassle, but I have arrested too many pirates and been around too much bad stuff to not. I wish I didn't know what I know, but then again, don't we all.
It seems to me that it comes to balancing a number of opposing factors.
  • Carrying a firearm can lead to legal issues in most non-US ports and possibly even in some US ports.
  • Having a weapon available could possible prevent injury and death to your person.
  • Having a weapon available could possibly escalate an encounter with those with criminal intent from robbery to violence.
  • There is also the question of when and if the cruiser is willing to use deadly force. Not a simple question for any but the simple minded.
  • Perceived risks in your particular cruising grounds.

I can see folks evaluating the above and coming to very different conclusions based on how much weight they give to each of those considerations.
My Blog on
Old 10-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
You might do a bit more reading:

"The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that protects the right to keep and bear arms. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, along with the rest of the Bill of Rights.
[
Yeah, but the OP question was about carrying a firearm on board a vessel, not about the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution.
My Blog on

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.