Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Do you really want to do this?

I suggest that you search the archives for previous "discussions."
My original post is not looking for discussion. I am looking for Yes and No answers for my questions to those reading this post NOW and not in the past. I don't need the reasoning or justification behind the answer. If you really try to help here.

You can do the followings:
1. Do a thorough search yourself.
2. Read and write a concise summary of your finding
3. Report back to Sailnet

If you are unwilling to do so, please stay out from my post. You are not welcome here. Please stop harassing others when the question is too boring for you. I have noticed you frequent harassing others, please stop and don't give Sailnet community a bad name. Please go somewhere else to do the trolling.

I thank you for those who took time to reply. Based on the feedback, it looks like that carrying guns is not the norm in the sailing/cruising community. This is a radical difference from the HD riders. Both enjoy the slow speed of cruising with wind in the face, but totally different approaches with dealing with guns.

I am not a gun person, so it is a welcoming trend and one less thing to learn.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2010

diogenes726 is on a distinguished road
Firearm Survey

If you just wanted a 'Yes' or 'No' why not just take a poll?
Old 10-18-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
That flare gun used in Captian Ron worked pretty well IMO LOL
Old 10-18-2010
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Uscg

Just curious if anyone has ever experienced or heard of an issue with the USCG and weapons on board? (while not committing other offenses, like drugs or boating intoxicated)

I have heard that they ask if there are weapons aboard and they see that they are secured while making an inspection. I would assume they would run a check on the captain for a criminal record?

I would also assume that the USCG can't enforce local firearm regulations but may make a report to local agencies?

This is all academic, I also don't see a need to regularly carry while on board in the areas I sail.
Old 10-18-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
Just curious if anyone has ever experienced or heard of an issue with the USCG and weapons on board?
It is my understanding the USCG abides by local laws, where applicable.
Old 10-18-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
Sorry, I suppose I missed your point. In fact I'm still not sure I understand it. Sorry to be so thick headed.
No worries.

rockDAWG - Dude, calm down..... No need to get all cranky now. If you don't want opinions, don't ask the question.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Local waters in Washington State: Yes
Canada: No
International: undecided.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 10-18-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
rockDAWG - Dude, calm down..... No need to get all cranky now. If you don't want opinions, don't ask the question.
I am too damn old and get constipated all the time. Look Jr, I will play nice if you play nice and don't be a troll.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 10-18-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2010
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da :)

Sixpoint is on a distinguished road
Been in law enforcement for fifteen years now. At home, I'm pretty interested in guns. In recreational boating...I'll just say that if I felt like I needed to carry on the boat, I wouldn't boat. The novelty of carrying wore off years and years ago.

My advice, if anyone wants it, would be not to carry unless you are highly trained and very proficient, not only in the use of firearms but in the use of lethal force in general and the legal/moral implications of such.

Seems to me that unless you're cruising in pirate infested waters, carrying a gun is making an issue out of something that would otherwise almost certainly never be an issue.

Peace,

6P

Last edited by Sixpoint; 10-18-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo fix
Old 10-18-2010

W3ODF is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to W3ODF
I'm new to sailing and hope to someday cruise the world. I am not new to firearms, self-defense, and improvised weapons though and consider myself something of an expert on physical and personal security doing consulting/ training in it as well. I do carry a weapon with me much of the time. Though as Mick said; the safety is between your ears. My weapons are always between my ears as well. Even if I have a firearm (and I have permits), I often have a blade as well. Also, a hot cup of joe works wonders against someone.

The only reason I am chiming in, b/c I do realize this is a hot issue, is to hopefully save someone a painful learning experience. Flare guns cannot be converted to shoot regular 12 gauge shells. Don't try it - unless you put in a vise and pull it with a string - from far away. That said, a flare coming out of a flare gun is probably just as good as buckshot, ball, slug, etc. I've used the 26.5mm Czech flare guns in military simulaton exercises and even firing them horizontally on the range. They are very reliable and if you hit someone with it you can expect a horrible wound pattern from concussive as well as thermal factors.

Another option is to look into a cheap paintball gun/pistol and carry CO2 12 gram cartridges. Paintballs are prone to deterioration in humid weather therefore you might decide to mold or craft your own projectiles. This still provides deterrence, especially if piracy is an issue. Also, for whatever you do choose to do, I would suggest training if you expect to utilize it. There is nothing worse than using an untried weapon in a fight. That is a recipe for disaster.

Lastly, you need to think long and hard on all of this. Because, even if you win an altercation you can expect to suffer psychologically as well as physically and financially (legal repercussions). Aftermath, even for a survivor can be traumatic.

Ultimately, avoidance is the best option, whether armed or not.

Kind Regards,