Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2003

tradcrack is on a distinguished road
The cost of sailing?

I''m considering buying a boat (a 30'') and sailing for several months to a year. I''m most interested in doing it cheaply. Other than the initial cost of the boat, how much would it cost, say, to sail down the coast of Mexico/central and south America or maybe to Trinidad. Obviously there are many variables, but barring any major problems.
Specifically, can I drop anchor anywhere and paddle into a village free of charge? What about this type of travel is costly?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2003

h37skipper is on a distinguished road
The cost of sailing?

Difficult question. My recommendation would be to read the available literature starting with "Articles" right here on SailNet. Here is a start:
http://www.sailnet.com/collections/articles/index.cfm?article_criteria=cost

In case this does not work use Search with keyword of "cost" or "budget".

Old 05-09-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
The cost of sailing?

Most anchorages are free or very inexpensive. The key is finding a safe, sheltered one. Repairs are the thing you cant realy budget for, and hence they can throw whatever budget you have for a loop.

I reciently ordered, at the advise of a few people I trust, Voyaging On A Small Income
by Ann Hill

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1888671378/qid=1052495404/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-0745524-9797430?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

One of my friends last year sailed baja and back to Los Angeles on under $1000, in a 23'' boat. but that was a whole hell of a lot tighter (financialy) than I''d like to do it.

The biggest single way to make it cost alot, is to not spend the resources (time/money/sweat/planning) up front. What type of sailing do you do now? How far and out of where?

-- James
Old 05-09-2003

tradcrack is on a distinguished road
The cost of sailing?

I''ve done very little sailing actually. It''s something I''ve been interested in for years, but haven''t had much opportunity to engage in. My plan is to buy a boat and spend a few months sailing before setting off for more distant shores. I have friends who sail; half think i''m crazy, the other half say go for it. My initial thoughts were to buy a boat in the Atlantic and go toward Trinidad island hopping, however, work is easier to find in the west, so my plans may have to change, which is fine.
At present i''m just gathering info from many sources. It''s all about fun and adventure, on a budget of course.
Old 05-10-2003

namaste04 is on a distinguished road
The cost of sailing?

Don''t forget theat you DO have to clear in and out of each country which can be cheap or expensive depending on the country and/or the mood of the customs guy. Suggest you read some of the articles on Sailnet, perhaps subscribe to the Seven Seas Cruising Assoc bulletin (or purchase their CD of back issues) wherein actual cruisers report on actual locations re: costs, services, navigation, etc. (www.ssca.org)

FWIW We plan to cruise on $1000/month for two adults and a child in a 39-ft boat (Caribbean, Central/South America, Atlantic). If you DON''T spend a lot on booze, eat at restaurants, or need to make a lot of repairs to your boat; and if you DO know how to eat cheaply (fish you buy direct from fisheren, rice & beans on board) and can make your own repairs yourself, I''m sure you can spend a LOT less than $1000/month.

There are LOTS of books on cruising simply/cheaply that you can find (try used bookstores online like www.bookfinder.com) such as anything by Lin and Larry Pardey (esp The Cost Conscious Cruiser). Have not read this, but there''s one called Voyaging on A Small Income.

Also you should get Nigel Calder''s Cruising Handbook as a good early-stage book to read. It is JAM PACKED with really useful info on choosing the right boat, outfitting it, gear, sails, navigation, etc. After you get the boat, his Boatowner''s Mechanical and Electrical Handbook is invaluable when stuff breaks. He also a wrote a Cruising Guide to the Northwest Caribbean, and if you are doing the east coast of Mexico, Belize, etc. on your way south, you should pick it up. Could not tell if you were talking east or west coast Mexico. Nigel Calder cruised out of Louisiana, I think, so has lots of good info on that side of the Caribbean.

See you out there!

Stacey
http://www.sailnamaste.com
Old 05-10-2003

bnoble is on a distinguished road
The cost of sailing?

Try Sensible Cruising: The Thoreau Approach, a Philosophic & a Practical Approach to Cruising by Don Casey, Lewis R. Hackler it is full of great ideas.

Follow your Dreams.
Old 05-12-2003

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
The cost of sailing?

You may wish to check the following site: http://www3.sympatico.ca/destinycalls/

This couple sailed their CS 27 from Montreal through the Caribbean to Venezuela over about 16 months. They compiled a detailed account of their cruising costs during this trip.
Old 05-24-2003

sailingbauble is on a distinguished road
The cost of sailing?

Your dream may be just that, a dream. Or, there may be reality lurking there. How can you tell which while avoiding the possibility of serious negative financial consequences?

Why not scour the numerous internet ads seeking crew members. You can gain a valuable education free, see a few exotic ports of call, and maybe even earn a few bucks in the process by putting in time on someone else''s boat. At the end of a few months, or less, you''ll have a very clear understanding of what you want for your future. Best of all, it cost you nothing.
Old 06-02-2003

mlc101 is on a distinguished road
The cost of sailing?

The book Voyaging on a Small Income is by Annie Hill and is excellent. Beth Leonard also has some fairly recent (90''s) info in her book. We are planning on 1500 per month, but we have a large 43'' and very complex boat (refrig, freezer, bathtub, wind generator, water maker, TV, DVD, ham radio, radar, etc, etc, etc). Greatest expenses are food and boat maintenance. Get a small, simple boat and half that is reduced a bunch. Friends cruise on 300-500 per month. Not counting boat insurance, flying home for Xmas, etc.
If you have any interest in going, and can put 8-12K in the bank, plus seaworthy boat, GO.