Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
They may not act like adults, but they are adults. Old enough to vote, old enough to drink, old enough to serve in the military, old enough for the death penalty, old enough to know better. Sanctimonious much?
Age wasn't specified. I joined the USMC at 18 and I could not drink... Legally. Being in the Marine corps did LOADS to grow me up, but I am still now just 23 and I still make mistakes. The key is to learn from them and not repeat the bad.

If it happened to me, I would be pissed. Hands down. Would I call the cops and file reports? Only if significant damage was done.
When I was a kid on Halloween the neighborhood kids and I would sneak out and roll peoples houses with toilet paper. When you are 13 years old sneaking around at night with all your buddies throwing toilet paper around is a good time. However, one morning when I was 20 I woke up to find I had been T'Peed. Well I was pretty pissed. Toilet paper is a real pain in the rear to get out of tree branches. However, A part of me could only chuckle. Kids will be kids I said to myself as I prodded wet clumps of TP out of the trees in my front yard. I did not call the police, I did not rant and rave to my neighbors who saw my predicament. Sure, it was a pain to clean up and yes, if it happened a second or third time repeatedly I would have taken more drastic measures. Yet, the TP got cleaned up and I had a good story to tell my co-workers who then reveled me in their own tales of toilet paper mayhem.
So, I would be pissed off but I would keep it in perspective.

the stone analogy is not an attempt to sanctify our dear vagabonds. I put that quote their only to remind people that no one here is perfect, and no one here is without mistake. That is all.

I would not be so quick to diss the "kids" for listening to the adult. Millions of Americans get told things everyday that they in turn take to be truth. Dont believe me? Ok.
Our planet revolves around the sun right? Sure it does. But wait, have you actually checked it yourself? Did you go up in space or peer through the lens of a telescope and actual observe this for yourself? Or did you just believe what people told you and it "sounded" right and everyone else believes it so it must be true. *cough cough* 1930'2 Germany, *cough cough*
What about atoms? We get told everything is made up of atoms. We even see these cute little pictures in books showing us what they look like but tell me; has any of you ever actually SEEN an atom? Or do you just take their word for it?
Ok, less obvious now.
Politics. How many of you take the time to do independent research about the candidates running for office? Now how many of you based your opinions on second hand information from the media, other people, or articles written by "experts," and subsequently voted in that same manner.
War. How many of you take the time to understand the culture and history of the Muslim religion and how it relates to the war on terrorism? Now how many of you have made your opinions based on second hand accounts and observations?
Have I made my point yet? I could continue. Easily. These aren't kids were talking about either. These are adults who have every resource available to them to find the truth but 90% of the time they just take there word for it. Sounds right? Must be right. I am too busy to check it out, I have to pick up Susie from Soccer and get dinner started. This plays out millions of times a day all across our country.
Now continue to sit there and talk about free thinkers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
As an adult, I look back on things I did as a kid that I am not proud of. They were mistakes and I had an immature perspective. However, I am very certain that I would not have broadcast them to millions, because I actually knew they were wrong.

To err is human. To admit your guilty and repent is redeeming. These schmucks want to be known as anarchists. They want you to know. That separates them from the normal stupid kid.
Old 11-02-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
IF I remember correctly it was not there idea to use the davet, in fact they had no idea that's what they were going to use until they arrived there. Also, they did not believe it was feasible, but they were talked into it by a "professional" in the business with loads more knowledge then them.
You nailed it trist. I think I remember that the dude was a broker - and that that "mega yacht" was one of his deals. Maybe you guys should take it out on the "responsible adult" in this scenario. Heh-heh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-02-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
As an adult, I look back on things I did as a kid that I am not proud of. They were mistakes and I had an immature perspective. However, I am very certain that I would not have broadcast them to millions, because I actually knew they were wrong.

To err is human. To admit your guilty and repent is redeeming. These schmucks want to be known as anarchists. They want you to know. That separates them from the normal stupid kid.
You know what? I respect what you say and when you put it in that way I start to come around. You are right, for them to advertise it to millions as a viable and respectable way of life is no bueno. At the same time however, how much role did the girls have in making the film? I know they knew they were being recorded, but I wonder how much they knew was going to be put in the film. So now I sit here and I think, shame on the guy and half shame on the girls? Maybe they were naive and thought it would just go to a collection of home movies? Or maybe they really did know the film would show the not-so-good side of what they did, especially the direct deposit method... eww. I cannot know the answer to this question so I have to assume they knew that they were going to make a film and so they knew what the content would be. Because of this, I find myself becoming more against the whole thing. Somethings we do are better left unsaid.
Still a very well done and pretty entertaining film though.
Old 11-02-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Naa, not at all. I went there and simply voiced my opinion about this very topic (bum boater vid), and I got the usual batch of standard CA reply's (either an inside joke directed at me, or an outright insult directed at me, or some reason why they (the bum boaters) were awesome and I was too stoopid for not seeing it ). CA is way too much of a clique for a public forum, those guys need a private forum.

Just go read my posts (all 28 of em) and you can see for yourself. CA is full of people who like to dish it out, but cannot take it at all. Give it back in the slightest, and they cry like little girls. I never insulted anyone first over there, and I was cool (as usual) to those who were cool to me.
I read 'em.

I've been there a while and I like those CA guys. They're not nearly as cliquey as you paint them. I've seen far worse firsthand on other forums.

You just got in over your head on the whole aggro thing..then went supernova when they called you on it. It happens. It's SA after all. No harm no foul.

Old 11-02-2010
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I read 'em.

I've been there a while and I like those CA guys. They're not nearly as cliquey as you paint them. I've seen far worse firsthand on other forums.

You just got in over your head on the whole aggro thing..then went supernova when they called you on it. It happens. It's SA after all. No harm no foul.
I guess we see it differently, but that's ok.

Last edited by chrisncate; 11-02-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: No need to keep it going..
Old 11-03-2010
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I guess we see it differently, but that's ok.
I'm afraid that's not going to work. You have to completely acquiesce to my point of view or we have to keep fighting about it for the next two years.

Oh, wait, that's the PRWG forum - my bad. Heh-heh.

Old 11-03-2010
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm afraid that's not going to work. You have to completely acquiesce to my point of view or we have to keep fighting about it for the next two years.

you know not what you ask, dear squire...
Old 11-03-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

I thought one of you had to leave and delete all of your posts?
Old 11-03-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post

Now continue to sit there and talk about free thinkers...

Personal responsibility. We all are responsible for our own actions.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.