Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
How about the guy whose lifting crane/davit was damaged stepping the mast? Didn't he come to harm...his boat was vandalized. How about the people who owned the boat that they were squatting on, wasn't their sense of privacy and their property trespassed upon.
Hey SD, first off I am a big fin of yours and feel like you are a top contribute r to this website and do loads to inform sailors of all skill sets.
However I think you are putting too much of the blame on the kids. IF I remember correctly it was not there idea to use the davet, in fact they had no idea that's what they were going to use until they arrived there. Also, they did not believe it was feasible, but they were talked into it by a "professional" in the business with loads more knowledge then them.
To put it into context it would be along the lines of someone like you telling someone like me to use a davet to put my mast on. I would look at you like "what? Are you serious? That is crazy!" However, knowing that you are a well informed source on all that is sailing I can tell you I would have a hard time saying no to the idea if someone like you pushed it enough with your loads of experience.
Parents do this all the time btw, they are not always right.
I am just waiting for someone to reply with the rebuttal "If your friends jumped off a cliff would you do it?" Please don't be that person.
As far as everything else I told you all in my post I did not defend them. There was nothing to defend, they broke the law so in that respect they are guilty.
My post was more along the lines of this:
Young people WILL, I say again WILL WILL WILL do stupid, unlawful, dangerous stuff. They will. I swear they will even if your little Johnny is the sweetest gem on the planet. Put little Johnny around a crowd of his friends in his prime adolescence years and you prepare your notepad to take notes because Johnny will find himself some trouble.
Now what trouble do you want Johnny to find? STOP IT! HE IS GOING TO FIND TROUBLE! He is, case closed.
So, do you want Johnny to find trouble in a gang? What about in drugs or alcohol? What about in knocking up some little teenager at his school? What about little Johnny growing into big Johnny and being a bully? What about A MILLION THINGS WORSE THEN WHAT HAPPENED HERE!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHH!! Do you people not see this truly? Do you not see that the evil IS FOREVER present and that the lesser of the evils is always best IF IT IS A CONSTANT that evil exist and occurs? You wanna dope head or you wanna Hitler? You wanna thief or you wanna raper? I am not saying either of these is good, they are not, but if you continue to wait for a perfect Utopian society well then I say do not hold your breath.
You ALL DID stupid stuff. I am willing to bet A LOT of you did worse things than these kids and PROBABLY continue to do stupid and UNLAWFUL things.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone to continue this debate.
I just hope that whoever that person is, they can still see the common man from where they sit, so very high up on their pedastool.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010

Also, the davet IS wrong. I agree. If they were responsible for any damage then I hope the boats owners will find this video and use it as evidence for reparations. When you cause other people to have to shell out for your carelessness or selfishness or ineptitude or whatever, then you are crossing another line then what I am speaking of in general. So regarding the use of the davet, wrong. However, remember they were talked in to it by an ADULT in the industry who used his age,experience to talk them in to doing it.. Not that it makes it any better. Just saying the adult in the situation behave no better than the kids so he should share some of this aggression.
Old 11-02-2010
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
C'mon dude, you went in there with guns a-blazing. What did you expect?

You reminded me of myself when I first hit Sailnet in the FightClub thread. Good times.
Naa, not at all. I went there and simply voiced my opinion about this very topic (bum boater vid), and I got the usual batch of standard CA reply's (either an inside joke directed at me, or an outright insult directed at me, or some reason why they (the bum boaters) were awesome and I was too stoopid for not seeing it ). CA is way too much of a clique for a public forum, those guys need a private forum.

Just go read my posts (all 28 of em) and you can see for yourself. CA is full of people who like to dish it out, but cannot take it at all. Give it back in the slightest, and they cry like little girls. I never insulted anyone first over there, and I was cool (as usual) to those who were cool to me.
Old 11-02-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
trisstan, they are NOT kids. Quit using that term to absolve them. They are adults.
Old 11-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
trisstan, they are NOT kids. Quit using that term to absolve them. They are adults.
They are young adults. Also, do not blame me for what kids are today. 50 years ago an 18 year old was a man. He was expected to provide for his household and be a productive member of society.
Fast forward to current times and tell me the majority of today's 18 yr olds are "adults."

But ok, they are young people. Switch the words around, I still stand by my argument. Stone anyone?
Old 11-02-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Trisstan - I think you have gone over the top now.... "Let he who cast the first stone"? Really? No one ever said that they were saints, just that they did not agree with the fact that this was a glamorization of people who go through life commiting petty crimes and living off of others without giving anything back to those they take from. And that it is wrong. Plain and simple it is wrong and not to be applauded. And no, they are not KIDS. Talked in to it? Really, hmmmm guess they stopped being free thinkers for a while to justify what they needed.

And as I said before, how would you react if it was you they were "scavanging" from? Or say you came to your boat and some folks were staying in it? Would you give them a high 5 and hand them a beer?

Anyone who thinks these people were awesome, how would you react to it being your property? Why won't you address that?
quandryron likes this.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2010
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Can't we all agree that at the very least, they refused to flemmish their lines while docked?

Honestly, would anyone argue that their seamanship is good?
Old 11-02-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
They are young adults. Also, do not blame me for what kids are today. 50 years ago an 18 year old was a man. He was expected to provide for his household and be a productive member of society.
Fast forward to current times and tell me the majority of today's 18 yr olds are "adults."

But ok, they are young people. Switch the words around, I still stand by my argument. Stone anyone?
They may not act like adults, but they are adults. Old enough to vote, old enough to drink, old enough to serve in the military, old enough for the death penalty, old enough to know better. Sanctimonious much?
Old 11-02-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Or you could have rethought your point of view. But hey, it's always easier to ignore those who disagree with you. Have you thought about a career in politics?

HTFU counselor.
You know, bljones, if you would stop sounding so damn angry for must one minute, maybe you would get his point.

I think he stated it poorly, or could have stated it in a way that didn't make it sound like it was such a big deal. Once he did that, people who were rightly pissed at this kid living off of others (which I believe he does do) with his little anarchist lifestyle, went after him next. There was no backing out.

He was right. There are bigger problems in the world and big fish to fry. At the same time, if they took my stuff, or squatted in my place, and I bet if they took Wonk's stuff or squatted in his place, he wouldn't lie down for it.

Asking for his address and suggesting he quit his job was upping the flame war ante. Look where it got us.

After all, the "dirty little hippie" isn't here to beat on.

So let me weigh in on this:

1) If I found the anarchist and his buddies on my boat, or squatting in my home, there would be hell to pay and I doubt I would let it go.

2) Finding trash and using it is one thing, 'scavenging' the possessions (highly implied in this film on more than one occasion) is another.

3) They seemed to have their act together sailing wise and, in some odd way, their hearts were in the right place -- at moments. At other times, they seem the worst of freeloaders.

4) I found their sense of adventure interesting and entertaining and I enjoyed their attempt at doing some things simply. I liked their competence and what they said about safety (in some ways) and being capable.

5) So what if she took a dump over the rail. Sure, I can't unsee it but, they knew it would shock some of you -- they won.

So, why be do damn hard on each other here. We didn't squat in each others boats, or take stuff from each other?

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2010

blackjenner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Can't we all agree that at the very least, they refused to flemmish their lines while docked?

Honestly, would anyone argue that their seamanship is good?
Good in some ways, very poor in others. I think they were the best example (on film and film isn't real) of daring adventures (with GPS and EIRPB equipment) out for a good time on the high seas.

Stupid as it may have been at times (or seemed) on film.

1980 Baba 35 Pilot House Cutter - Brigadoon