Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I thought one of you had to leave and delete all of your posts?
Zing!

Actually, I've noticed it's when you hear the phrase, "we're good friends who have each others' backs"...that it's time to put on your welding goggles. Because something's about to blow.

Everything else is just a good bar fight between mates who'll still drink together after the punches fly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
My favourite is when somebody says "What you have to understand is..."
No, I don't. I'm not disagreeing with you because I don't understand your inane opinion/idea/concept/cause, but because you're wrong.

or the ever popular "no offense, but..." Have you ever noticed, the word "but" tends to erase whatever came before it? "I agree with everything you said, but.... you're wrong about everything." or, "She's really cute, but..." Oh yeah, and the salutation "peace," like that fixes all the vitriol and insults in the previous four paragraphs and we're still friends, right?
Old 11-03-2010
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I thought one of you had to leave and delete all of your posts?
Not me, I left CA on my own accord, and all my posts are still there. Smackdaddy? You get in trouble somewhere?
Old 11-03-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Heh-heh. Dude, I get in trouble where ever I go.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-03-2010
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Heh-heh. Dude, I get in trouble where ever I go.
Old 12-01-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
WGBH American Experience . Riding the Rails | PBS

Watch this...and contrast the two types of hobo experiences
Old 12-02-2010
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Being a sailing hobo is much more fun!
Old 12-02-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
Being a sailing hobo is much more fun!
I honestly believe we are in the middle of a depression. People wont acknowledge it till years afterwards...and it probably wont be as severe as the 1930s, but there is likely an entire GENERATION of young people currently between the ages of 14 and 25 that have a lifetime of reduced wages and diminished prospects for their future.

I expect to see more people taking to old derelect boats...as its gotten much too hard to ride the rails anymore.

While it seems like the kids in "Hold Fast" have other means or strong support systems, its only a matter of time before the true hobos set out.
Old 12-20-2010

bluea is on a distinguished road
Those meddling kids...

I'm new here to SailNet, and it was amusing to read everyone's speculations about this film. I actually know the cast pretty well, so I can help fill in some of the blanks for you:

1) These "kids" aren't as young as you think.

2) I can say for sure that they're not trust-fund kids, none of them ever went to college, and the only safety net they have is each-other.

3) They saved up enough money for this trip by working the Cranberry and Beat harvests both years before heading south.

4) They really did spend almost no money outfitting that boat. Most of what they used was found or work-traded for. For instance, many people have mentioned the "new sails." That mainsail was found on a beach, and while the luff fit alright, the foot was way too long for the boom. At the first reef point, though, the foot fit.

If you'll notice in every shot of the main sail, there's one reef in. This is because that's the only way the sail fit on the boom. The problem was then that there were no additional reef points, so there was no way to reef the sail. Lisa and Kirsten did work trade in a sail loft for a few weeks in exchange for being able to use the equipment to shore up the rough parts of the sail and add two additional reef points. This was typical of how they got things done.

5) A lot of things were given to them by older sailors who didn't want them anymore. The Pestilence kids are helpful people, and they got a lot in return. The mast, interior cushions, stanchions, and a couple of the dinghies they used were given to them. When they couldn't afford something that they needed, they either made their own or made due. They had stanchions, but no life lines, so they just used some three-strand that they found. That solar panel was found on a DOT sign that had been blown off the road in a hurricane and was upside-down on the beach. The story I heard about that engine is hilarious, and in the end cost them very little. From their descriptions of the trip, it sounded like they worked from sun-up to sun-down every single day for a month in order to outfit that boat.

6) They didn't "give up." I doubt their intention was ever to live the rest of their lives on that boat. They put it together, learned a lot, had fun, and are now doing other "crazy" things. I still hear about them sailing around out there every now and then.

7) Moxie is a famous hacker, but he wasn't when this film was made. That guy has always been super talented, but only recently has he been a "professional." I suspect this is because he just never knew how to be one.

8) It actually sounds like a lot of the critics here are jealous.

hold fast and up the punks!

- tim
Old 12-20-2010
San Juan 21 MKII

lydanynom is on a distinguished road
Nice!