Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Um, I was kinda inspired and pissed at the same time while watching?

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2010

meteuz is on a distinguished road
I had a lot of questions about whether they were being deliberately economical with the details in certain places so as to allow us to make inferences which suit the story better than perhaps the whole reality would have. For example, in the scene where they are dead reckoning through all kinds of peril, there is a GPS in the background. They didn't say they did not use GPS, but neither did they say they used it to verify each DR position. They started out with a complete wreck of a hull, but then furnished it with real stainless rails and stanchions, a decent mast and standing rigging and what looks like a relatively new set of sails. (The wooden whisker pole was a good touch though.)
In getting ready for something like this, what makes you break the piggy bank is usually the accumulating cost of a million little things, not the purchase price of the hull. It seemed like they were not on such a shoe string budget for those. Purchasing a boat in better shape to begin with would have made much more economic sense, but it would not have made as good a story. Maybe their families insisted on a certain level of real gear, like the diesel and the solar cell, which they chose not to use or dwell on so as to stick to their original plot.

Last edited by meteuz; 10-19-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2010
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Like I posted over at SA, I was disgusted by the whole thing. The theft of use, the fish kill scene (which was particularly bad), the girl taking a dump amidships over the lifelines (gross), etc. And now that I know that girls poop? I am not the same anymore.

Anyway, I don't like train hoppers (a whole other culture, look into it, it sucks), and I don't like lazy, bad sailors. Non seamanship irritates me. I am not perfect, but I take pride in how I handle and keep a boat.

Like I said somewhere else, they got the boat name correct though. Spot on.
Old 10-19-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Mmeteuz, IIRC in the dead reckoning section he did in fact say that they chose not to use the GPS for plotting--but used the data from it AFTERWARDS to see how far off their DR had been. Nothing wrong with that, I've been on a boat where someone is using a sextant while someone else is using the GPS, and simply not comparing notes till afterward.

But he does also openly refer to scrounging and pilfering and IIRC directly to stealing wood. The line between scrounging and stealing...the mention that they have no title or registration (not followed up)...that's all part of why I say the gods take care of etc. and it's marvelous that they were able to "Huck Finn" it in this day and age. I try to save my luck for bigger things and not tempt the fates--or the gendarmes--as flagrantly.

I suspect from the mentions of the timeframes that this was "our last two summers in college" for some college friends on two(?) low-budget summers. After all, you can't backpack Europe on five dollars a day anymore. (G)
Old 10-19-2010

Willis is on a distinguished road
I watched this earlier today. I'm not sure what to think. I admire their drive and motivation. A lot of their repairs look a little rough around the edges, but they seemed to be effective. I can't disparage their seamanship. They maintained a proper watch and seemed to make use of harnesses when appropriate. They seem like competent sailors.

Something about their outlook does disturb me though. They are basically living like scavengers. For that to work, there has to be a class of productive people for them to scavenge off of (the rest of us). If you go to the guy's website, he's clearly educated. The girls all seem to be pretty sharp too. I would guess that these kids all came from solid middle class homes and are choosing to live this way. If I was an actual homeless person, that would piss me off a little.

Anyway, from a sailing point of view, they are way more accomplished than I was at that age, so who am I to say what's right.
Old 10-28-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I'm torn on this vid. Some aspects I agree with - like using an old plastic boat, being frugal etc... He appeared, to me, to be a little arrogant, perhaps that's why the ladies got rid of his ass... I agree with the comments on the fish scene, gimme a break! Dispatch the thing already! It bothered my wife when they were anchoring with however many anchors they needed. Seemed a little shady, we wouldn't want them close to us!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 10-28-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I wouldn't want to be either aboard or downwind of that boat- three stinkfoots in an enclosed space can't smell like roses.
Old 10-28-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
So, what does a guy do with three college girls on a small boat all summer?
Old 10-28-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormeum View Post
So, what does a guy do with three college girls on a small boat all summer?
Evidently, not much, they kicked his ass off!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 10-29-2010

BobS2 is on a distinguished road
I heard a term recently that may apply to these youngsters.
"Trustifarians"
Living the Boho life with a nice fat safety net that gets things like safety harnesses and fresh diesel engines, and airfare back to San Francisco.
They definitely re-fit and sailed a hulk way more places than many of us ever will. So I give them credit. They do need to learn to kill fish and sharpen knives though.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.