Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2010

my900ss is on a distinguished road
I could not tolerate spending any time with these folks...

I am left with the impression that the narrator is a bit of an elitist/arrogant sort.

He is against using sails, is a scavenger a minimalist of sorts believing in his self supposed earth friendly lifestyle is better than anothers. Yet he leaves nothing better off than from when he arrived. The workmanship on the boat is poor, the things he "borrows" are left worse off than when he selected them for use.

The young lady with the lip ring is the Alpha male on this cruise and the narrator is a fairly emasculated man. Where as the idea of flying to FL, finding and reviving an abandoned boat to sail the Caribbean with 3 young free spirited women would seem like a grand adventure, what we saw in the video was a far cry from ideal or even its true potential.... but they did it and I did not so more power to them I just would like to keep them two or three moorings over from myself.

Last edited by my900ss; 10-29-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2010

zboss is on a distinguished road
I liked the video and I commend them on their initiative. It will make a great footnote in their resumes.

Interesting they didn't mention anything about sea sickness.

With that said, I cannot condone steeling or living on someone's boat like a deadbeat. You bought your boat - live on it. I have a vacation home that has been broken into and used in the same manner and it pissed me off to no end. We also have had someone "look after" the house only to find out that they moved their relatives in.

He lost the girls the moment he put on the bathing suit and top. Emasculated is spot on.

3-4 anchors? Are you nuts?

They need a cleaver.

I also wondered how much they paid for the iron and the labor to put it in, the solar panels, batteries, etc.
Old 10-29-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
He lost the girls the moment he put on the bathing suit and top. Emasculated is spot on.

Yeah, pretty sad- no wonder they booted him off.
Old 10-29-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS2 View Post
I heard a term recently that may apply to these youngsters.
"Trustifarians"
Yes, my thoughts as well!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 10-29-2010

wonk is on a distinguished road
I don't have too many problems with 'em... And they don't seem much like trustafarians to me... They certainly weren't without resources, and it seemed like they were making good use of small money- solid but bare hull, good rigging, good safety gear, and a reliable engine... All told they probably didn't spend more money than your average college kid spends on beer and weed over a summer, but they got out there and did much more with it...

As far as the scavenging goes- whatever. Where there's no harm, no foul. I'd much rather see a bunch of kids out sailing (quite competently) and living a rather meager life that occasionally crosses the grey line between legitimate scavenging and petty crime than a bunch of kids who spend all their time playing video games and getting fat on the couch.

I say more power to 'em.
Old 10-29-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Like most of us, these folks are neither good nor evil. I see them as being young and inconsistent in their values. I admire what they were able to actually pull off. By same token, their lack of respect for other people's property, or acceptance of just plan stealing things is just plan wrong headed. Many of their actions are just plan dangerous like the mast stepping portion is just plan scary. Much of the information in the introduction is just plain wrong! (Their boat is not a Pearson 30, at least like the Pearson 30 in the literature. I thought it might be a coaster but in most shots it looks like a Irwin 30. Everett Pearson never went bankrupt. He was partners with is cousin Clint in Pearson. Pearson was sold to Grumman. Everett started Tillotson Pearson and Clint Bristol. Bristol went bankrupt and so on).

At heart I admire the resilience and ingenuity and energy of these kids and what they were able to accomplish. I only wish they had done it honestly and with a little more responsibility.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 10-29-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2010

ccriders is on a distinguished road
When I see how free young people can be today it is hard for me to not have a sour grapes sort of reaction. When I was in college, if you dropped out a semester, you got drafted. Then the day after you graduated you had to complete your ROTC obligation or you got drafted. By the time that was finished, it was time to stop goofing off and get on with a career.
But I am happy for them to have that freedom, eventhough lots of working class kids don't.
John
Old 10-30-2010

solman55 is on a distinguished road
I think it is great and if you look up the fellow I am sure they had plenty of money they just decided to do it a certain way, I am not sure his real name but he is a hacker who now works with many companies to help avoid this, very cool dude in my opinion and I would very much like to meet him and the crew. I have nothing against him and people who complain just wish to do the same, now I do not agree with their use of others gear and such but the rest is fine with me. I think what they did is the grand adventure, just because they didn't do it exactly the way I would have or others would have they did it and enjoyed it, the great adventure is setting a goal and doing it and having fun, and I plan on doing something similar with better gear and safety in mind but similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Journey to find instability living aboard.
Watkins 27 CB
S/V Tipsy Gypsy
Old 10-30-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
It took about two seconds to google this dope and find he is a well known computer hacker. Those that are enamored by this story are simply projecting their own desire to be at sea. These folks are playing you, as a hacker would. Frugal, live off the land, etc. Bull....... You've all been had.
Old 10-30-2010

wonk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It took about two seconds to google this dope and find he is a well known computer hacker. Those that are enamored by this story are simply projecting their own desire to be at sea. These folks are playing you, as a hacker would. Frugal, live off the land, etc. Bull....... You've all been had.
No one's been had. You didn't need to google him, it's not like he's hiding, he links to his software page right on his vimeo profile. You couldn't watch the movie on vimeo without staring right at a link to his software dev. page.

I'm enamored with this story because it shows a side of sailing and cruising that is different from the mainstream. There's no reason to believe that they were not frugal, and that they did not live off the land to the extent that they claimed to (they ate a few fish, I wouldn't call that living off the land, but if you want to, go ahead).

I don't get what twisted your panties. Some kids bought a boat for small money, made it safe, sailed the hell out of it, and made a video about it that is better than most sailing videos I've seen. Looks like they had a grand time. What's to be mad about?