Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Question In mast/boom furling

I am seeing in mast furling systems on larger boats and I am wondering how well they work. Not really ease of use but for sail shape and performance. I believe there are in boom systems as well. Anybody have experience or grand knowledge about these? I am very curious.

Thanks,

CB

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most will have relatively lousy sail shape when reefed and are relatively low performance, since most will require you to have a hollow leech mainsail since they are unbattened. Some of the newer ones are battened, using vertical battens, but still not as good performance as a fully battened (horizontal) mainsail with a decent roach. There's a reason you only see these things on CRUISING boats...and not things like Open 60s..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-19-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2010

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
I am seeing in mast furling systems on larger boats and I am wondering how well they work. Not really ease of use but for sail shape and performance. I believe there are in boom systems as well. Anybody have experience or grand knowledge about these? I am very curious.

Thanks,

CB
Can't beat the convenience, as long as it works. The negatives are the sails will not be as efficient because you can't batten them in the same way and they simply won't have as efficient a shape. I have seen some in-mast furling sails with up and down battens but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I have certainly never seen any up and down battens on any other sails and I can't imagine that it would hold as good a shape.

The other negative that you hear about sometimes is that they can jam sometimes and once they do it can be a real bear, especially in windy conditions. This problem may be "overblown," though, as I have friends with in-mast furling who have never had this problem and they seem to always roll up their mainsail lickety split.
Old 10-18-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Thanks SD and CBinRI! I had heard something similar but I wasn't sure so I figured I would ask.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 10-18-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
I have in mast furling. It is a love/hate relationship. I like it because it is easy to handle singlehanded, especially in the middle of the night. i hate it because it is hard to get the shape I want. But then again, we are talking about may be a 0.5 kn difference. IT is not going to change the grand scheme of things when it comes to cruising.

I wish the price of boom furling will come down, I think it will be a good viable option. Furling is a must for me. I hate to get on the deck sailing solo, although I have done so many time. Even with tethering and jack line, getting back on the boat is still hard.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, in heavier winds, the in-mast furling's poorer sail shape can lead to a lot more heeling and make the ride a lot less comfortable.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-18-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Actually, in heavier winds, the in-mast furling's poorer sail shape can lead to a lot more heeling and make the ride a lot less comfortable.
Hmmm.... how so, please explain.
As in my case, I tighten up my sail and let go the sheet more.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-18-2010
Telstar 28

You can't flatten a reefed in-mast sail as well as you can a slab reefed sail. The fuller shape leads to more heeling, less control over the boat, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Hmmm.... how so, please explain.
As in my case, I tighten up my sail and let go the sheet more.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 10-18-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

In mast and in boom furlers make it a lot more convenient to use the mainsail. Easy to deploy, easy to stow, no sail cover to deal with, no need to go forward to raise, lower, cover, etc.

With an in mast sail you won't have the same performance as a standard sail, but this doesn't seem to bother most cruisers.

Personally, I value performance enough so that I would buy a boat with an in mast furler.

I don't see any negatives to in boom units. I'm sure the cost is significant and maybe it makes raising the main more difficult.

Barry

Old 10-18-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
I love the in-mast furling on my B393. As far as performance goes, I'm cruising and in my cruising grounds it's usually blowing pretty good. When I cruised with a traditional main I did not hoist the main as much. That's what usually happens you end up using the jenny on it's own more but with the furling main and its infinite reefing the main's always out which is a lot better for balance.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.