Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Sailboats I can stand in?

Unlike you lucky people who are less than 6', I am 6'5".

I am having real trouble finding out which sailboats have the headroom for me to be able to stand up in. And don't even get me started about beds... my feet have been hanging out since I was 15.

Any help is appreciated; there is no one source, and most manufacturers do not talk about headroom, so it is really hard trying to make a short list.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Depends what you are looking for, but I can stand up right in mine. I'm 6'4" and with the pop top up i'm good to go! Several manufactures made pop top/convertible type cabins in the seventies when trailer sailing really took off. Oday and Catalina would be two to check into for smaller types. I was on a Hunter 30, probably made in the 80's - I could stand up in that as well.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 10-18-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
While eating breakfast with a buddy on his Catalina 28 yesterday, I was just about about to stand up and work at the table across from the Galley, at 6'3". Massive amount of room in that boat.
Old 10-18-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I looked at a Mariner 39 (the ones built in NH, not the ones built in Asia, which are two different companies/designs) which had a massive athwartships berth in the aft cabin... must have been over 7' long. The headroom was really good too, but I didn't write down exactly how tall it was (I'm 6'1"). I did write down that I could barely stand up in the head, however, so that might be a dealbreaker for you. Awesome boat, I wish I could have bought it, since it's built like a tank, but the price was just too much.
Old 10-18-2010

I should have been more clear... I am looking for a minimum of a 38' to 44-46' boat.

Primarily, the boat will be used in the Caribbean, although we may make the odd Atlantic crossing.

We know all the comments that Bavaria's, Beneteaus etc. are not blue water, and that we need an HR, but we are quiet satisfied that if the Beneteaus got here, they probably can go back

In short, we would prefer the comfort and space these type of boats give, as opposed to a RTW boat.

I still haven't made up my mind about Hunters though... they seem a great coastal boat, and I am sure some have gone across oceans, but I sense they may not hold up as well as the aforementioned ones.

Just an opinion, but, gosh, I can be convinced I don't know what I am talking about!
Old 10-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would point out that more important than standing headroom is a berth that is large enough for you to lie down comfortably in. Much of your time down in the cabin is spent SITTING, so full standing headroom may not be a necessity. However, coastal cruising or making bluewater passages, getting a good night's sleep is not optional, and having a berth that you can sleep comfortably in is not negotiable.

Unfortunately, you will need to visit the boats in person to figure out whether the berths will be usable for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I would point out that more important than standing headroom is a berth that is large enough for you to lie down comfortably in. Much of your time down in the cabin is spent SITTING, so full standing headroom may not be a necessity.
I have bumped my head way too many times to not be concerned about headroom (in fact, I told my son that is the primary cause of a thinning top).

As I stated, am very used to having my feet hang out, so that really is not an issue, but a sore head is.
Old 10-18-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
As I stated, am very used to having my feet hang out, so that really is not an issue, but a sore head is.
I think the issue here (and perhaps SD meant to bring this up) is that often you can't let your feet hang out. Say there's a bulkhead at either end of the berth. For instance, the V-berth on my boat has a hanging locker on one side, a chest of drawers on the other. Unless you want to lie on the exact centerline (with your head at the bow, which is backwards), you can't have any limbs hanging off the bed.
Old 10-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I have bumped my head way too many times to not be concerned about headroom (in fact, I told my son that is the primary cause of a thinning top).

Many berths don't have an open end, only open sides...so hanging your feet over the end isn't always feasible.

LOL...I see RMeador beat me to it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-18-2010

OK... now it makes some sense.

So, recalibrating.... headroom is still an absolute requirement, but need to look at berth length or at least configuration. Guess not all boats can have centerline beds, can they