Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
My boat is 25' long, with an 8' beam at the widest point.

You guys say that if your tether and jackline let you fall overboard from the windward side, that they're too long. Geeze, my tether would have to be 1' long to prevent that at some points along the hull, which would be nearly useless.

Advice?
Several months ago someone wrote in these forums he clipped a spare halyard to his harrness. That seems like a prettty good solution to me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael K View Post
Several months ago someone wrote in these forums he clipped a spare halyard to his harness. That seems like a pretty good solution to me.
Please, try things before suggesting them.

* When on the cabin top the length is much different than when at the bow.
* Explain how you get back on, if the boat is heeling 25 degrees.
* On a small boat, this will create a great increase in heeling moment, perhaps leading to a knock-down.
* Unless the halyard has a lot of slack in it, it will make it impossible for the sailor to get low and hold on.

I think there are reasons it is not done.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-30-2010
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
Well when we say "spare halyard", are we talking about a line that he sometimes used as a halyard, but also used as a tether line when not in use as a halyard? In which case, we do not assume it was in use as a halyard (i.e., run up to the mast head). I have a couple lines in my lazarette that are or can be used as halyards if needed (e.g., for a spinnaker), but also could be pressed into service as a jack line of sorts.

Or are we indeed talking about an unused halyard that is hanging off the mast? In which case, I agree with pdqaltair that it would not seem to me to provide a very good tether line.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 12-30-2010

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Please, try things before suggesting them.

* When on the cabin top the length is much different than when at the bow.
* Explain how you get back on, if the boat is heeling 25 degrees.
* On a small boat, this will create a great increase in heeling moment, perhaps leading to a knock-down.
* Unless the halyard has a lot of slack in it, it will make it impossible for the sailor to get low and hold on.

I think there are reasons it is not done.
It isn't my idea and I haven't tried this approach yet, but I do believe it may have some merit. I am asssuming that a spare halyard would be paid out so that the end would be just above deck level. If that end were attached to your harness, you may not have total freeedom to move about in a crouched position but you could have greater range by standing a bit more erect; with a second tether restricting your lateral range, you'd still be able to pull yourself back over to the deck even after momentarily hanging out 25 degrees from the mast. Imagine how much easier it would be to pull yourself over than it would be to pull yourself up. Aboard catamarans like what pdq and I have, 25 degrees is a non-issue.
Old 12-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerust View Post
Well when we say "spare halyard", are we talking about a line that he sometimes used as a halyard, but also used as a tether line when not in use as a halyard? In which case, we do not assume it was in use as a halyard (i.e., run up to the mast head). I have a couple lines in my lazarette that are or can be used as halyards if needed (e.g., for a spinnaker), but also could be pressed into service as a jack line of sorts.

Or are we indeed talking about an unused halyard that is hanging off the mast? In which case, I agree with pdqaltair that it would not seem to me to provide a very good tether line.
I too have heard this suggested. I even gave it a brief trial on a fair day; perhaps, I though, it would be useful when motoring on flat water but alone on deck. Certainly on my boat, it proved to be a potential hazard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-30-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I think the halyard idea is in addition to the normal tether. Not substituting for it.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 12-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I think the halyard idea is in addition to the normal tether. Not substituting for it.

Regards,
Brad
Try it.

If you place enough slack in the halyard so that it does not pick you off the deck when low at the bow, there will be so much slack whipping around it will catch in the spreaders and around your neck.

Those that suggested it did not think it was a supplement, though your suggestion was hopeful.

Old 01-02-2011

ffiill is on a distinguished road
Although 34 foot my boat has a lot of freeboard.I had belived that my stern ladder was quite capable of being used to board the boat from the water,that is until I tried it out whilst on the hard.
No way so I added an extra three steps of stainless tubing which are free to swing.
The advantage of the free swing that is if you are afloat you can get your feet on first rung with a shorter bottom section almost parallel to the water surface without it having to be some 5 foot long below water level and as you pull up body weight straightens the ladder to vertical.
Old 01-02-2011

Rangernewell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rangernewell
On day while on my boat I decided to dive in ....Once in the water I realized the ladder was not out. I just swan around back and climbed up the outboard ....A little stippery but I was able to get back on board fairly easily
Old 01-02-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
On the subject of rope ladders, I made one on the way to a local anchorage recently out of some spare line. At anchor I looped it over a winch and tried using it to climb aboard (with wife in cockpit ready to assist). It was not what I would call easy. Since my center of gravity was not over my foot, my foot would push the ladder under the hull and I would be lying on my back, basically under the boat. It didn't make it any easier that the hull's curvature was so large at the point where I was trying to board.

If you're going to use a rope ladder, or any free-swinging ladder, definitely practice with it first and try it in different places on the hull. Transom or shrouds might have been easier. After a few tries, I figured out what I needed to do to get the ladder to stay more or less vertical, and I wouldn't want to be trying to solve that problem in an emergency.

On another topic, let us not forget that the great singlehanders circumnavigated without a harness and tether, because they felt it was more of a liability than an asset. They just made sure they knew how to move around on their boats safely: "One hand for you, and one for the boat." I'm not advocating that policy, but while you're practicing reboarding with a rope ladder, you might also want to practice duck-walking around on deck, untethered, always with a secure handhold, in whatever conditions you feel appropriate and safe.