SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What happens after you fall off your boat. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/69199-what-happens-after-you-fall-off-your-boat.html)

Sailmachine 10-19-2010 10:24 AM

What happens after you fall off your boat.

I am just curious here. I think we all know falling off a boat means certain death. So we have jack lines and harnesses to keep us attached to the boat. This makes us feel safe and comfy. But what happens after you fall overboard. I imagine hanging on the side of the boat not being about to get back aboard. Has anyone tried jumping over the side while at anchor to see if they could get back on board. I hear people talking about their jack lines and harness a lot, but no one ever talks about getting back on deck after you have put the jack lines to the test.

Pete

remetau 10-19-2010 10:28 AM

It's not easy with our boat, but I can get up by using the rub rail. If I had a tether on, then I could use it to pull myself back up.

Allanbc 10-19-2010 10:35 AM

Sometimes adrenaline makes something that seems impossible very possible.

Stillraining 10-19-2010 10:46 AM

IMHO...If your jack lines/teather allow you to fall over board in the first place they are rigged wrong and not worth the effort clipping into them in the first place...and give you just something else to trip over which may be the cause of you going overboard to begin with....if that the case rig them right so you cant or get rid of them.

rockDAWG 10-19-2010 10:47 AM

Getting back on board is just hard depending how you were being hanged by the side of the boat. There was a report that they found an abandoned boat with a dry corpse hanged on the side.

1. being physical fitted helps
2. carry a knife to cut the tether may work so you can work yourself toward the stern side.

I hate to think about this. But it does worry me.

sailingdog 10-19-2010 10:50 AM

Not a problem at all on my boat... if you're tethered in, you' can't fall of except at the very aft end of the boat...and getting aboard is pretty simple due to the really low freeboard at the ama nets...

QuickMick 10-19-2010 10:53 AM

maybe you should intentionally fall off while someone is on your boat to assist if you cant get back in? rope ladder in the cockpit along the rail wouldnt take up too much space and you could probably grab it from the drink and hook it to a winch, depending on if you can swim back to the boat (how fast can you swim?).

How to tie rope ladders with animated knot tying help | Wonder How To

How to Make Knots for a Rope Ladder: Knots & Knot-Tying Instructions | eHow.com

Can I Make a Rope Ladder Using Constrictor Knots? | eHow.com

trisstan87 10-19-2010 11:01 AM

This thread make me think about the scene in Master and Commander when they are rounding the horn and lose that guy overboard. "Swim man swim!" I don't think those old galleons move very fast but there was no way that guy was catching up.
Fears in the back of my mind as I prepare my adventures: Lightning, Whales, and falling overboard.

puddinlegs 10-19-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickMick (Post 656191)
maybe you should intentionally fall off while someone is on your boat to assist if you cant get back in? rope ladder in the cockpit along the rail wouldnt take up too much space and you could probably grab it from the drink and hook it to a winch, depending on if you can swim back to the boat (how fast can you swim?).

Probably not likely to work... at all. Freeboard and all that... Can't reach the winches from the side of our boat at all if you're in the water. Yes, I can haul myself out in swim trunks, but don't think it would be possible in foul weather gear, or if the boat was moving much at all... have you ever tried pulling yourself against 5-7 knots of current or simply dragging behind a ski boat? It's tough even if you're very strong in warm water and swim gear.

pdqaltair 10-19-2010 11:34 AM

Yes, we swim off the boat all the time. Sugar scoops and a ladder.

Yes, people have boats with high tops and no ladder. Stupid in my mind, with no reservations. The stories of sailors not being able to get back on in calm waters are pitiful.

Yes, we have intentionally gone over and then hoisted the person back (me) while motoring at 4 knots. Not fun, but not bad. Actually, I could always do it un-aided, but I like rock climbing. I also had my crew crank me up without help (Lifesling). This is a very worthwhile test, since the sugar scoops are pretty bouncy when it's rough. Sugar scoops should not be discounted, though; we found they worked fine in most conditions, but the boat's heading may need adjustment (beam or run vs head-to-wind).

Yes, the tethers should be short, but in fair weather we run them long (they are used for solo deck watches). Thus, it is worth testing.