Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010

steel is on a distinguished road
Can a coastal cruising boat that's blue water upgradeable be had for under $10k?

edit: I changed the title to make sure it is understood that I want to do coastal cruising first, for $10,000 or a little more but I want to have a boat that I won't have to sell to go blue water. I changed my goals a bit. I am willing to spend maybe $10,000 more to get the boat ocean crossing ready after doing coastal cruising. Life rafts are expensive.

When reading this thread Crossing Pacific ... want to come I found that they were going to spend $20,000 - $30,000 on a boat which would take 4 people across the Pacific. Several pages in to that thread they were looking at the 35' range. It looked like there were a number of boats which qualified for that price range but some people were skeptical.

If carrying two people can I get by a $10,000 boat? If the interior is in poor shape maybe because the boat sunk that'll be okay. I hope she won't need more than $3,000 to get her ocean crossing ready.

I'm still not clear on what it is exactly that makes a boat ready to cross an ocean. I imagine a more sturdy hull is needed, but what kinds of boats have that? I was looking through yachtworld and I saw several boats in the mid 30' range for under $10,000. Is there a reason why boats like these couldn't cross an ocean?

Last edited by steel; 10-22-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2010

steel is on a distinguished road
In a search here are some boats I found (I'm assuming the listings are honest):

40 ft 1961 Kettenburg K- 40 --- US$9,995
Wood, don't want that.
38 ft 1989 Amateur Kurland 38 --- US$5,816
Steel - probably about rusted through at that low price.

38' Beneteau IDYLLE --- US$8,000
Needs engine and standing rigging installed, after that's done, great deal?
35 ft 1974 Coronado 35sl --- US$7,995
If I could fix the engine, then good deal?
35 ft 1971 Morgan --- US$9,900
35 ft 1968 Pearson Sloop --- US$9,900
Engine needs new head gasket. Fairly time consuming job. Could be done.
34 ft 1977 Ericson --- US$9,900
34 ft 1986 Topper Hermanson Custom Steel Cutter --- US$6,500
"Needs minor welding" That's easy (for me anyway).

Wouldn't all of the last 6 boats here qualify for a safe ocean crossing (once fixed)?

Here's a link to my seach on yachtworld: (Sail) Boats For Sale
Old 10-20-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post

Wouldn't all of the last 6 boats here qualify for a safe ocean crossing (once fixed)?
The "once fixed" is the rub. Looking at the ages of these boats, the running rigging likely will need replacing, the standing rigging will need close examination. Anything from the mid 80's may need blister repair (big generalization). The electronics may not be up to standard. The wiring will need attention and will all hose and gas fittings.

A good survey will help pinpoint what needs to be done. A good mechanic should be able check the engine, transmission, etc..

Then you get to add the offshore safety gear.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 10-20-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Sure, you can buy any of the boats mentioned... I'm assuming you have an idea of how much it will actually cost to get one up to snuff? Even if you're doing your own work, there'll be yard fees, materials, etc... it WILL add up quickly and your 10k boat will cost much much more. The boats you list are in all probability very cheap for very good and very expensive reasons.
Old 10-20-2010
Get over yourself already

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
An Alberg 30 fits the bill. It will need outfitting, but the boats are fairly cheap and very sound/sea kindly.
Old 10-20-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
NO. Those boats that you listed are priced that way for a good reason, and offshore capable and ready boats are priced much, much higher for a good reason. With all due respect, just by asking this question it's obvious that you don't have the knowledge or experience to be thinking about buying a boat for a major crossing. That's not to say you couldn't try it, others have shoved off with little or no experience, and most of them are still alive. It really comes down to what value you place on your own, and your crew's, lives.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-20-2010

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
look at Pearson Tritons, they can be had on the cheap, have gone offshore, all depends on what you want out of it.
Old 10-20-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
IF your gonna put decent quality safety equipment on the boat the 10k would not even cover that

Most of the boats your looking at need 20k + in materials and a year of your life if not more

That is a pretty good looking A4 but it is a 40 year old saltwater cooled motor

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/2/1/...?1270575142000

Another well kept motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 10-20-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-20-2010

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
I think it can be done if you're really resourceful. With a lot of digging you can find a "Blue Water" boat that's missing all the blue water gear for cheap. There are boat donation orgs out there that have a lot of good boats for cheap. When I was looking for my boat (through a donation company) I came across a Cherubini Hunter 37 that had gone across a few times. The price tag on it was $5500. It even had a lot of good gear on it already. BUT...the boat probably needed about a years worth of work to get it ready.

I also saw an Alberg 37(ish) in the same condition. A salvage guy that I know was paid $1000 to take the boat away. He was trying to decide whether to fix the boat or scrap it and sell the lead from the keel. He offered to sell me that boat for $4000.

There is definitely a "dark and dirty" end to the spectrum of the sailing community where I'm from. It includes dock rats, scrappers, and salvage guys. Everyone I've met so far have been really good people. The important part though is that...they're loaded with parts.

When I need something for my boat I make a quick phone call. If my buddies don't have what I'm looking for the response is usually "Give me a day or two...I know a guy that has that but I think he's out sailing today." The parts I get are used but always in good condition.

I do like the point that someone made earlier about the "related costs" because it's something I kinda ignored in the beginning. Storage, registration, insurances all add up really fast. A boat can cost a pretty good chunk of change even if you do nothing with it and just let it sit on the hard.
Old 10-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
As I've said before, you'd be much better off getting a boat in decent shape than trying to buy one cheaply and refurbish it. When you refurbish an old boat, you end up paying NEW BOAT PRICES for gear, unless you're lucky enough to find everything you need used and at bargain bin prices. Unless you have the place, skills and tools to do most of the work yourself, refurbishing a boat can get very, very expensive.

For instance, replacing the standing rigging on a boat may cost $1000 easily, and that is if you are capable of actually doing the physical fitting and attachment of the replacement rigging yourself. If you have to hire a rigger to do that, figure on $4000 or so.

Replacing the sheet winches on a boat may cost almost $1000 a piece if you find them at a good price. The bigger the boat, the more the winches are going to cost. For the price of a sheet winch on an acquaintance's 50' boat, I could replace all the winches on mine.

Yes, you could probably get a boat that was in sailable shape for $10000 that could cross bluewaters. However, it would probably be pretty spartan in terms of what gear and equipment it had, and would probably be missing a lot of the things that make life aboard more pleasant.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.