Wind powered vehicle speeds much faster than wind; downwind! - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010

eyytee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Of course, to be truly awestruck by it's speed, we are all assuming that the surface is level, and that the vehicle is not actually hurtling down a 20% grade.
NALSA requires less than 3.3 ft vertical variation along the track. But the El Mirage dry lake bed is far below this.

Last edited by eyytee; 11-04-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2010
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
First problem I see: In the video, if the wind is behind him, the prop is turning the wrong way. Look at it closely.

Second problem: You're talking about perpetual motion here. Ain't happening, folks. If he can get more output than input, i.e. traveling faster than the wind down wind, then all of the world's energy problems are solved.

It's a scam.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
First problem I see: In the video, if the wind is behind him, the prop is turning the wrong way.
What is wrong about it? It turns opposite to the torque generated by the fluid, like every propeller. Otherwise it would be a turbine.

Quote:
Second problem: You're talking about perpetual motion here.
Who (besides you) is talking about perpetual motion here? It's just a wind powered vehicle.

Quote:
It's a scam.
Very unlikely. Why would the North American Land Sailing Association perpetrate such a scam?
Old 11-05-2010
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

eyytee:

#1)

The beginning of the video in question clearly shows that the propeller (turbine) blade is going in the opposite direction from what it would be going if the wind were from behind. (A Long, Strange Trip Downwind Faster Than the Wind | Autopia | Wired.com)

If the prop is turning like an airplane prop - (that is powered by the vehicle) then that is indeed the way it would be turning.

#2) I was not the first to mention 'perpetual motion' regarding this. It is mentioned in the Wikipedia. And I maintain, unless the laws of physics are suspended - which happens rarely in our particular realm - you can not go faster directly in the direction of the fluid which is propelling you. Toss your boat in the water and hook up a prop to a paddle wheel - or vice-versa and see how fast you can move up-stream.

#3) Maybe the North American Land Sailing Association is also confused.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-05-2010

Quote:
The beginning of the video in question clearly shows that the propeller (turbine) blade is going in the opposite direction from what it would be going if the wind were from behind.
No, it just rotates opposite direction from what it would be rotating if it was a turbine.
Quote:
I was not the first to mention 'perpetual motion' regarding this. It is mentioned in the Wikipedia.
And what exactly does Wikipedia say about your claim that this must be 'perpetual motion'? Let me check:
Sailing faster than the wind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The wind-powered cart referred to above therefore would not necessarily violate the laws of conservation of energy, nor is it a perpetual motion machine, as it harnesses its energy from the kinetic energy contained in the wind. (...) The cart is an example of a device that, while respecting the laws of physics, appears at first sight to be in perpetual motion: a so-called apparent perpetual motion machine.
Also: lots of references there to mathematical proof that it doesn't violate any laws:
http://orbit.dtu.dk/getResource?reco...=2&versionId=1
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/att...-wind-ddwe.pdf
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/att...-wind-ddw2.pdf

Quote:
#3) Maybe the North American Land Sailing Association is also confused.
Nope, it's just you.
Old 11-05-2010
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

I remain unconvinced. Any referees in the crowd - or are we evenly divided between the skeptics and the believers?

Old 11-05-2010

Quote:
I remain unconvinced. Any referees in the crowd
Don't ask for authority. Think for yourself!
Old 11-05-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
I remain unconvinced. Any referees in the crowd - or are we evenly divided between the skeptics and the believers?
Larry,

Spend some time researching this before you put your foot in your mouth. I have been following this closely for three years and can assure you, it is not a hoax. These guys had big money sponsors and started with a small scale model on SA back in November 2008. For two+ years folks told them they were crazy and now they are all eating crow and we don't hear much from the loud-mouthed doubters anymore... Many folks who's title end in "cist" as in aerodynamicist or physicist etc. have also eaten crow and come to terms with the fact that they were proven wrong on DDWFTTW..

Even Sail Magazine weighed in:

Running Faster than the Wind

This article in Wired is pretty good too:
A Long, Strange Trip Downwind Faster Than the Wind | Autopia | Wired.com

And this is very entertaining thread on SA with 3799 posts and 152 pages long. It lasted nearly three years and finally came to a screeching halt this past July when those who were doubters realized they had been proven wrong:

DDW Faster than the wind and the MythBusters - Sailing Anarchy Forums

You can always feel free to go toe to toe with John, Rick or San Jose State University Aeronautics Department on why this "doesn't work". Unfortunately it will be a blood bath and you'll lose cause it ALREADY BEEN DONE.

BTW Rick and JB (ThinAirDesigns and Spork) answer posts and questions over on SA...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-05-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
It just occurred to me that if you can build this (and I believe it is real), you should be able to build a vehicle that can sail directly upwind using similar principles. Has anyone done that yet?
Old 11-05-2010
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

Maine Sail,
Thanks for the warning - I'm used to the taste of shoe leather, and have, more than once, had my foot in my mouth clear up to my knee. I have read what I can find (I tend to skip over the calculus stuff) but remain skeptical.

You said:
Quote:
Many folks who's title end in "cist" as in aerodynamicist or physicist etc. have also eaten crow and come to terms with the fact that they were proven wrong on DDWFTTW..
Could you point me in the direction of some of these 'cists.'

Bear in mind that a decade or two ago 'room temperature cold fusion' was all the rage in the scientific community. But nobody could duplicate it.

Thousands have seen David Copperfield fly, disappear, make the statue of Liberty disappear. Some believe. I remain skeptical.

If there is indeed big money involved, give us a commercial working device. It seems to me it defies the laws of conservation of mass and energy.

It sounds to me that with one of these devices strapped to your back, you could, theoretically, jump out of an airplane (oh, all right, a blimp, or hot air balloon) and fly back to it. You first. I can't cause my foot is stuck.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.