Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2010

lgaggie96 is on a distinguished road
sailing with a baby

I was curious at what age some of you first took your children out sailing?? We recently had a baby (9weeks old) and haven't been able to go out sailing in a while. We are really ready to get back out there and go sailing, but are afraid it may be awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
A lot has been discussed here related to the topic, a search may turn up some useful information. With some considerations, like the boat, its definitely doable. Both our children were sailing young, the oldest was about 4 months old the first time out, and the other about 2 months old the first time out, probably would have taken them earlier but the boat was in winter storage

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-22-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-22-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Day 8 for us.
Old 10-22-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
It depends a lot on the boat and conditions

In my case my wife has allways had a bit of water fear which made it all the harder and when my son was young he did not do well in the cabin with the sea sick deal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-22-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Our son was 18 days old, it was in June... He was determined to "beat" us and he had his daughter out at 1 week old - in a race - in December

Starting them as young as possible is the way to go - Sailing and everything about it is "normal" for them, and it's much easier than trying to introduce a 5 or 6 year old to all of that. The most difficult stage is the early toddler stage when they start to want to wander around and may not have the patience to sit for any length of time.

A secure area (berth with leecloths, and some books and non electronic toys) will help to keep them safe while the two of you tend to sailing. We were fortunate that our son generally had a long nap when things got to be more of a handful weather wise...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-22-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Varies, but almost all of them went out in the car seat so I'd guess a couple of months old.
Old 10-22-2010

g0twind is on a distinguished road
I was only a few months old when my parents brought me onto my grandma's 29' Ericson. I even have a picture of me on it during a race!

I agree with starting out young. It might even help them get the sailing bug, like I did!
Old 10-23-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Our two were about 4 months old when we would go for long summer cruises. We made a crib area in a quarter berth area that was right beside the engine. If they were fussy and would not settle down for an afternoon nap, having the engine on for five minutes would do the trick every time. Seemed amazing at the time, but the vibration seemed to do the trick even though it was not particularly quiet.

My wife won a ladies' race on our Nonsuch 30 with only one non-sailing female for crew. She had to nurse our son (~ 5 months) during the starting sequence to get him settled (no engine!) - joys of a Nonsuch. One of the other boats joked that they wanted to protest since there was a 'man' onboard.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 10-23-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Our daughter was 3 months old on her first ride. Similar to killarney, we set her up un the V berth lining the sides with pillows so she wouldn't get hurt when the boat heeled. As soon as we were underway, out she went. Sixteen years later, she still falls asleep when the motor goes on.

We strapped her car seat into the cockpit and fed her on calm evenings while motoring to whatever cove was nearby. We would plug the cockpit drains and fill the cockpit with about 8" of water on days where we motored for long periods. She could play for hours in the sloshing water. Good memories.
Old 10-23-2010
Doesn't sail enough

zedboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
We would plug the cockpit drains and fill the cockpit with about 8" of water on days where we motored for long periods. She could play for hours in the sloshing water.
Now that's a brilliant idea!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.