Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
Following an engine failure a couple of years ago. I lived without a working for a little over a month, including a long passage to get somewhere to have the engine replaced.
It sounds very romantic to rely on sail alone. Its not.
The reality is its hard work and frequently dangerous in situations that would be easy with an engine.
The engine is one of the most important pieces of safety equipment. Think long and hard before you give it up.
I would at least try managing with a non working engine for an extended period of time before you take the steps to seal up the prop shaft etc.
You are also making the boat very hard to sell in future.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Good evening ladies, gentlemen and SD,

Our first yacht had the old MD7A - I had to rely on the sails. I grew up with/on my Fathers gaff ketch with an old Gardner 5LW (hand crank start). We sailed this mostly until he grew older and then got the engine serviced with an electric start.!

We are sailors - so sail, dont turn on the engine to reef or if the wind gets too strong! - ask Giu about this.

I do try to practice what I preach; We do have 100 horses under the cockpit, but being of Scottish extraction, I am a scrooge. I refueled in the Whitsundays and put $70 of fuel. Now in Brisbane, I will need about the same again. [Its about 800nm and 6 months apart]

We sail, its what we do - thats why we blog on SN. So I do appreciate people learning the old arts, using less technology etc - Be as self sustainable as I can. ** I qualify this comment, knowing I have the ability to earn enough $ to get things fixed if need be}

Anne Gash sailed around the world in a folkboat without an engine - Why cant we use our sails more?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-26-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
When i as young (26) and had a waterfront apartment and a race dingy i sailed everyday in out of the narrow Patchogue river and never had a problem

Pretty sure i new how to sail at that point

When we had the V18 and then the J24 in the same place i am pretty sure i had become a better sailor BUT sailing in and out with the powerboat traffic was a bit different on larger boat and not so sure it was really all that fair to the other boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 10-26-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
The OB probably won't get you through the canal as others have said. The weight of the OB is at the end of the boat... not a good place for sailing performance. Then you have gas on the boat rather than diesel. Can you sail without an engine? Sure. There' a Triton locally that I've seen out with a very nice rowing set up. That said, around here, there are a number of places where you'd have a hard time rowing against tide, days with very very little wind, or passing through locks. If you don't have to worry about time and can wait around for slack tide and wind, no problem. We don't motor much as our hull is easily driven in light air, but I'm on the side of having an engine for many reasons including safety.
Old 10-26-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
here's another take:
While you are ditching the engine, also ditch the chart plotter, the compass, the windex, the vhf, the self-steering gear, the flare gun. You will save weight, have fewer systems to maintain, and sailors sailed for hundreds of years without that stuff, right?
An engine is a piece of safety equipment- using it is a choice, and having the choice gives you options. Options are good.

Reading between the lines, since you have now amended your original engineless plan to incorporate a 15 hp O/B, you are scared of your diesel engine. don't be.
For cruising, a diesel IB has HUUUUUUUUUGE advantages over jury-rigging an outboard on the transom-

1. Range.
2. Safety- diesel is a lower combustion fuel, safer to store in jerrycans on deck.
3. Repairability- every port on the planet has a dude who knows how to fix diesels, O/B's? Not so much, especially with the proliferation of models form market to market. Often getting parts for American market O/Bs is difficult outside of North America.
4. Easier to self-diagnose and repair than a gas engine. Really. You need fewer tools to repair a diesel, fewer spares to keep on board, fewer small finicky parts to lose overboard, and less plastic. Have you ever seen the innards of a 15 hp O/B? Them things is complicated.
5. Diesels are less concerned about fuel quality and don't care about octane issues. Try running your American spec shiny new outboard on a jerrycan of old Pemex that you topped up when you stopped in Ensenada two weeks ago.
6. resale value- if memory serves, you were trying to sell your boat a while back. Your plans changed and you decided to keep her (good choice). But, at some point, you are going to want to sell her again. there are few better ways to guarantee a bargain basement fire sale price than to advertise " Alberg 30 with 15hp O/B for sale"
7. No fabrication required- you hang an outboard, you are going to need to figure out how to vent the locker you plan to keep your gas tank in, you are going to have to run fuel lines, and unless you plan to hang over the transom to run it, throttle lines, you should install a blower in your fuel locker, which means additional wiring a diesel doesn't require.

If you want to keep it simple, then keep the diesel.
Old 10-26-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
If you want to go without an engine fine. Others have pointed out the pitfalls. Just remember not to behave like another well known engineless boat which was notorious at mooching tows.

Old 10-26-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
ChrisnCate, keep the engine. I'm of the same opinion - give me options when the **** hits the fan!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 10-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing to consider though is without an engine your options for charging your batteries and generating electricity change quite a bit, and not for the better.

Also, you won't have hot water, which is a luxury on a smaller sailboat, but easily accommodated if you have an in-board engine.

I do agree that an engine can be considered safety gear, but not an outboard on a boat not designed for one. My boat was designed for use with an outboard as the auxiliary engine, and as such has some features that make it unlikely that the prop will come out of the water. Your boat is not, and trying to retrofit a small outboard to work will be a serious compromise at best.

Considering your plans—which apparently include a Panama Canal crossing, it would be wise to at least consider whether ditching the engine is all that wise.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I sailed keelboats without engines for nine years. The first was a 20' finkeel sloop, the second a 26' yawl, four tons. I also enjoyed the challenge and romance of sail only. You certainly have learned the right way: practicing with power as a backup. I also experienced many of the limits above: not sailing on light or fluky days to avoid being becalmed, avoiding high traffic or crowded harbors to prevent risk or inconvenience. Of course, I had a work schedule. I suggest that you rig and carry a long oar. I could row either of these boats slowly in a calm with one oar and a steady stroke (don't bother pulling hard or fast). I managed fine, cruising both shores of Long Island, including ocean inlets. There were a few times I was delayed overnight, or had a cruise shortened by calms. I wouldn't change what I did, but I'm not going to take the engine out of my (much larger) ketch either.
Old 10-26-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I wouild think very hard about that 1 %

Pulling out an inboard engine only to carry an outboard makes little sense.
I will second and third...the fact that your engine is a valuable piece of safety equipment. Without engine power and without wind a sailboat underway, not making way can be a hazard to navigation and to themselves. Access to many ports would be impossible without an engine. When sudden squalls come upon you, an engine is often the difference between being safe or getting hammered. Sailing is green enough. Nothing requires you to use it more than necessary, but when it's necessary it's a darn good piece of equipment to have.

Best wishes , with whatever you decide.