Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Yes, me too.
Rather than posting here I may start another thread. Although I think I may have a posting with the story somewhere on this site.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2010
Get over yourself already

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Rather than posting here I may start another thread. Although I think I may have a posting with the story somewhere on this site.
Well let me know where you post it, I would like to read it.

Also, I would not consider it a thread jack to post it here, it does pertain to the topic at hand.
Old 10-26-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by my900ss View Post
I have never sought advise on something I was 99% sure of...

This thread to me seems like an answer looking for a problem, i.e. you want help in convincing yourself of a poor choice.

My 2 cents.

Bingo! I was just going to write the same thing. If you are this easily swayed by the people that have replied here on something you are/were 99% sure of, then you haven't thought this through nearly enough. Did you not run all the scenarios that have been brought up here before making your decision? If not, why not? If you're going to do it, do it, but nothing that has been said here should have been news to you if you have rationally thought about this decision.
My two cents, added to the above two cents, with another couple of bucks you can buy a cup of coffee.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Last edited by jrd22; 10-26-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2010
Get over yourself already

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Bingo! I was just going to write the same thing. If you are this easily swayed by the people that have replied here on something you are/were 99% sure of, then you haven't thought this through nearly enough. Did you not run all the scenarios that have been brought up here before making your decision? If not, why not? If you're going to do it, do it, but nothing that has been said here should have been news to you if you have rationally thought about this decision.
My two cents, added to the above two cents, with another couple of bucks you can buy a cup of coffee.
Look, I had thought about it for a while, and I did "run the scenarios" in my head as best I could. THEN I figured I'd ask around as well, and get experienced sailor's advice. Why beat me up over that? Am I supposed to have the answers before I ask? That makes no sense at all.

And to the other guy who posted whom you quoted: It's not about the money, and my engine being a payday. It would be a nice chunk (if it sold) to go towards the boat, however that is incidental. Where did either of you get the impression we are doing this on a shoestring or whatever? I never said that.

And I stand by what I said to the other guy you agree with: If one is not 100% sure about something, one should always seek advice.

I may not know everything about sailing the world, or have all the answers all ready, but I have enough sense to know that much about life.

My 2c.
Old 10-26-2010

NaviGsr is on a distinguished road
I dream of the same thing, but I would never attempt it. Read some books about sailing in the old days and you will realize several things about engine-less sailing.

1) You will go aground. Not just a couple of times, but frequently. No mater how much planing you do there will always be currents and weather patterns you cannot forsee.

2) You will have good groundings and bad groundings. Hope for a sandbar, fear the rocky lee shore.

2) You will get caught in weather you don't want to be in.

3) If one of you is critically injured or incapacitated, you are making it difficult and perhaps impossible to get them medical assistance in time to save their life.

As others have said, an engine is a piece of safety equipment. It is technology that allows you to overcome some of the unknown adversity that will be thrown at you "out there".
Old 10-26-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I didn't mean to sound like the grouchy old guy I probably am, but if I were 99% sure I was going to do something then that would mean there was only a 1% chance that I could be talked out of whatever hairbrained idea I'd had. Maybe instead of "99%" you should have used "50%", which would have been viewed as trying to open a dialogue about the advantages/disadvatages of going engineless if you weren't almost 100% sure of your decision?
For the record, I think you've gotten excellent advice from the forum on this subject and whatever your decision I hope it works out for you and that your cruise turns out to be everything you dreamed it would be.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaviGsr View Post

3) If one of you is critically injured or incapacitated, you are making it difficult and perhaps impossible to get them medical assistance in time to save their life.

As others have said, an engine is a piece of safety equipment. It is technology that allows you to overcome some of the unknown adversity that will be thrown at you "out there".
Unless your in coastal waters, generally, having an engine isn't going to make much of a difference if one of you is critically injured. Rescue will still be days off. This is why I strongly suggest that any couples cruising or wanting to go cruising stick with a boat that EITHER of them can singlehand under all conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2010

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Chris,

After all is said and done, as I mentioned earlier, try going engineless
for a couple of months or so and come to your own conclusions. You will then
have some actual experience at it.

Dabnis
Old 10-26-2010

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
I sailed for many years without one.
With one boat, my berth was at the end of a long narrow tongue, and wind always came from that direction so getting home was a 45 minute tacking session (a slight timing error could easily double it). I later installed a small 10hp outboard.

I don't have to use the motor, have the skill to make it home under sail, but the motor allows me to actually sail more without having to get home with plenty of light left to see with, and to beat the crowd of moored boats, and avoid tacking around the morons who think anchoring in the middle of a channel is OK because 'it's late and there's not a lot of traffic here'

My current boat doesn't have an inboard, but it does have an outboard well, and has one installed.

One trip back to the dock took four tries because of bad wind conditions, puffs that would stop you halfway or send you back, or calms that would leave you in glassy water with no momentum. Finally had a friend tow me in .

I for one do like the outboard in the well, it may not be the most efficient propulsion around, but it takes up less room, and I can carry a spare, and I don't have any penetrations under the water line.

Inboards are great, but take up a lot of room that could be used for something else, my boat was available with one, but where it would be there is enough room for a comfortable and roomy single bunk. (discovered that while inspecting the rudder tube! very roomy and comfortable!) Currently used for storage of seldom used, but have to have heavier 'junk' tool boxes, batteries, spare parts, sails, extra anchors etc. For that huge storage space I give up a small amount of space at the stern
Old 10-26-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I didn't mean to sound like the grouchy old guy I probably am,
Not a chance! That grouchy old guy offerred to drop everything he was doing to come and give us a tow when we were trying to make it back home last summer. We didn't take him up on it, but it gave us some peace of mind to know that JRD22 was nearby if we really needed help.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 10-26-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.