SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

West to East

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I am looking at a boat in WA state. I live in FL. I do not want to spend couple of thousand dollars for transportation. I would prefer sail to Florida. What it is the best "friendly" route. Time does not matter.
Thanks.

#2 ·
Really only one route—down the west coast, through the Panama Canal and then through the Gulf of Mexico. However, be aware that such a route would take a fair amount of time, and the fees for the Panama Canal alone are probably upwards of $1500.

There are also possible problems with pirates along parts of Mexico, Central and South America.

#3 ·
Any navigational 5 feet deep canal to cut trough Mexico? That route is "not friendly". I do not mind to put the mast down and motor if that will get me trough. $1500 to get trough Panama? That is what I would call a piracy. For thousand more, I my be able to get it to TX and sail across gulf.

#7 ·
Getting a used steel boat can be a real issue. Unless you have some knowledge about steel boats, I'd recommend you do some research on them before making any decisions. You'll want a surveyor that specializes in steel boats.

#10 ·
Thanks. The steel rust, but with surveyor specialize in steel, will tell me if I had a good boat or not. The biggest problem with rust is from inside. If the boat was properly maintain, then it should be ok. Will see when get oh hard.
There are 3 (what I found) steel boat in FL and very cheep (between $5000 - $8000) but all of them require welding. It could be cheaper to hire a expert and let him fix the hull. Then rip out the inside and coat the steel. Steel is the best when goes to rough weather. I am not planing to be sitting at marina after is done. Way too many places to explore.

#11 ·
You will be surprised how quick; cheap and fast damaged and rusty plates can be removed and replaced. I have seen a 40 footer replated from the waterline down to the keel due to severe electrolysis in just over a week.

#12 ·
I was looking for few weeks to find answer. Why not stainless steel?
Could not find it. It could be the price or welding difficulty. Aluminum do not rust, but does crack under stress and electrolysis issue is bigger that in steel.
Steel boat require more maintenance, but then is more safe. I take the safe.

#13 ·
Stainless steel does not fare well when submersed in water for long periods of time. The lower grades suffer from chloride ION stress corrosion. Even the best grades don't do all that well in salt water.

The best metal to make boat hulls from is a cupro-nickel alloy. It is fairly strong and also does not require anti-fouling paint as a rule. It is rarely used due to the expense of the material. Some commercial ships are made using it to minimize long term maintenance costs. It is also far more resistant to galvanic corrosion issues than aluminum or steel boats are.

#14 ·
Really, your best bet is to have it trucked.

Sailing, you only have 3 options.

Friendly: Down the West coast, through the Panama Canal, and back up through the gulf

Not Friendly: Keep heading south, and around Cape Horn. :)

Wacky: Just head west out of WA. You'll hit Florida eventually. :D

If that boat is "the one", then your best bet is to truck it home. Otherwise you are stuck in WA refitting it before a very long sail. Or stuck in TX refitting it before a gulf passage.

#19 ·
#20 ·
Try UShip.com

I looked in to these folks when I was considering a Great Lakes boat. You have the opportunity to check their ratings and they bid on the haul job. Looks like you can save big $. Good luck

No personal experience with them. Only know what I read.

#21 ·
Be aware that Uship is just a shipping broker. They don't actually do any shipping, and add to the cost of you shipping something by tacking on a commission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.