Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010

Val5225 is on a distinguished road
Boat Overturn

Please, what max angle can accept Catalina 30 before overturn or/and what max wind is still safe for Catalina 30?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2010

mpickering is on a distinguished road
The top of the mast would have to be in the water for there to be a threat of the boat capsizing. A lot depends on wind and wave conditions but the boat would have to be on its side first.

As to maximum wind, like any sailboat it is a matter of reducing sail area as windspeed increases. Theoretically, a C-30 like any other 30 footer, could survive hurricane force winds properly sailed under bare poles (no sail up) or a small storm jib/storm trysail. The key words are "properly sailed".

Are you planning to sail into gale or hurricane force conditions anytime soon? Generally, you will want to start reducing sail area by reefing or going to smaller sails when you start to feel uncomfortable or the boat is heeling over excessively and you're fighting the helm to keep her moving in a straight line. Reducing sail will reduce weather helm and make the boat easier to handle as wind speed rises.

Although I don't own a C-30, you should be safe under 25 knots of wind provided you feel comfortable sailing in those conditions and have reefed your sails appropriately. I doubt you'd be safe sailing into that wind with the main fully up and a large overlapping 150% genoa. The boat will be way overpowered, be placing excessive strain on the rigging and you'll be fighting her. With one or two reefs in the main and the jib reduced, you would be able to sail.

Matt
Star #6100
Annapolis, MD
Old 10-26-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpickering View Post
The top of the mast would have to be in the water for there to be a threat of the boat capsizing. A lot depends on wind and wave conditions but the boat would have to be on its side first.

As to maximum wind, like any sailboat it is a matter of reducing sail area as windspeed increases. Theoretically, a C-30 like any other 30 footer, could survive hurricane force winds properly sailed under bare poles (no sail up) or a small storm jib/storm trysail. The key words are "properly sailed".

..Matt
Matt,

Hurricane force seas cause big seas. A 30ft boat like the Catalina would be easily capsized by a relatively small breaking wave. Any 10ft breaking wave would do the job, sails up or not.

Regards

Paulo
Old 10-26-2010

swadiver is on a distinguished road
Val,

Namaste is a Catalina 30 Tall Rig. I have two reef points in the main and my headsail is a 150 Genoa on a furler that is capable of furling to reduce the forward sail area. I usually start thinking about putting the first reef in at 15-16 knots. I will try to use the traveller to help de-power the main. However, there is only so much you can do. At 20 knots the first reef should be in for sure. At 25 knots the second reef goes in. I also would furl the genoa to balance the boat when the mainsail reef is put in.

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
Old 10-26-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
We've knocked a swing keel Catalina 25 down to were the mast spreaders were in the water. She came right back up. So I figure you can do the same with a '30. But if you don't have everything stowed away you will have a total mess in the cabin.
Remember if you are not using it, that item is to be secured for sea at all times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 10-26-2010

swadiver is on a distinguished road
Val,

Just read the other part of your question. I consider a Catalina 30 a Coastal Cruising boat. I would never consider taking Namaste out in 30+ knot wind. This boat is not a Blue water boat. At 25-30 knots I heard for the slip or someplace to hide. Of course, my sailing area is Southern Calif. and the winds here are usually considered light most of the time. I have had Namaste's rail in the water before and felt comfortable. However, I would not make a habit out of it.

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
Old 10-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Generally, for a boat to be capsized the breaking wave has to be 40% of the LOA of the boat. A 10' wave would probably not capsize a 30' boat but it would make it really uncomfortable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Matt,

Hurricane force seas cause big seas. A 30ft boat like the Catalina would be easily capsized by a relatively small breaking wave. Any 10ft breaking wave would do the job, sails up or not.

Regards

Paulo

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2010
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
I bet you could heave to in large seas with a storm anchor at an angle either off the stern or off the bow (for balance) in Catalina 30, and create the same slick that kills breaking waves on more ocean worthy vessels.
Old 10-26-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
I have been out in a C30 in some pretty big wind. Given the right sails (not roller furling) and crew experience it can handle quite a bit. I think sea height and state may be a big contributor to how comfortable it is.
Old 10-27-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Generally, for a boat to be capsized the breaking wave has to be 40% of the LOA of the boat. A 10' wave would probably not capsize a 30' boat but it would make it really uncomfortable...
Andrew Claughton, the biggest authority on the matter says (on Yacht stability in breaking waves):

"No hull, no combination of ballast, gives an effective resistance to being rolled from a breaking wave with 55% of the yacht length. All the Yachts ca be capsized till 130º by a breaking wave with 35% of the yacht length."

(I am translating from Spanish)

This means that a 30ft boat with the hull shape and ballast ratio of a Contessa (there was one of those among the tested models) will be capsized till 130º by a 10.5ft wave.

The last time I had looked at a Catalina stability curve, it showed a LPS well below 120º, and that means that a 30ft Catalina will be rolled by a 10.5ft breaking wave.

Now, do you really believe that a similar Contessa boat with 30ft, a much more heavier and with a lot more ballast, that will be capsized by a 10.5ft boat, cannot just resist a little bit more (regarding the size of the wave capable to capsize it) than a 30ft Catalina? Not even a wave just 0,5ft bigger?

Of course, if you want to test that, be my guest, on Matt's boat

I would bet on the 10ft breaking wave

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-27-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.