Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Winter liveaboard wanted in Annapolis

I have a friend that lives in Annapolis that is looking to live-aboard a boat this winter. This guy is not your typical wanabe dreamer. He is the senior rigger at a major marina in the Annapolis area. He can do an eye splice in sta-set in just minutes, I've watched him do it. Climb a mast like most people would climb a companion way ladder. He has experience with glass, engines and just about everything else boat related. He has access to a full metal fabrication shop from his employer and being in the business has direct access to everyone else.
I volunteered to post this idea under my account since I've been around a few years and lots of folks know me personally and might take it more seriously.
He is interested in living aboard but before committing to buying a boat for that purpose I recommended he try it first on someone else s boat.
He can either pay for the privileged or better yet someone could get a lot of work done by a real professional in exchange.
I think it would be a real win, win. In any case your boat would be left in better shape than it started with, he is a real perfectionist. Just check out his tool bag.

The yard and insurance company would have to be dealt with but I figured it might just give someone a chance to get a professional refit cheap.
It is really easy to see his work just visit his marina or talk to his customers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2010

stantale is on a distinguished road
interested in some work?

Hi David,

while I can't offer any live-aboard solution, I may have some weekend winter work for him if he's interested.

My girlfriend and I just bought a Rawson 30 and are preparing for some pretty serious cruising for a year and a half, and there are two things (ok, 100 things) we would like to talk to someone about:

- re-enforcing old chainplates that are set into the fiberglass. Might even replace them with external ones entirely. Can't gauge the condition so looking for advice.

- the engine is mounted at the very top of the bolts, and should be lower (or the supports higher). This would mean shaft re alignment etc. Also looking for someone to help winterize the yanmar 3gm30F engine and walk us through doing general maintenance since she just clocked 1000 hours. Can read up on it, but it's always nice to have someone who knows their stuff the first time round.

We're definitely not in the "rich owner" category - trying to save on going to marinas and paying top dollar but are happy to pay for good service, so if he's interested in getting paid for a few hours of recommendations, and doing some work if the skill set matches, drop me a line.

We're about 2 miles south of annapolis in Edgewater.

Either way I hope he found a place to crash!

Regards,

-Sacha
Old 11-29-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
sacha, if you need some help i can come down and help you out. while not a rigger i am pretty good at all the other stuff. BTW winterizing an engine is easy.
Old 11-30-2010

stantale is on a distinguished road
Hi Scotty,

Thanks for offering to help. Could you shoot me a pm? New to the forums so it won't let me contact you directly!
Old 11-30-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I have a friend that lives in Annapolis that is looking to live-aboard a boat this winter. This guy is not your typical wanabe dreamer. He is the senior rigger at a major marina in the Annapolis area. He can do an eye splice in sta-set in just minutes, I've watched him do it. Climb a mast like most people would climb a companion way ladder. He has experience with glass, engines and just about everything else boat related. He has access to a full metal fabrication shop from his employer and being in the business has direct access to everyone else.
I volunteered to post this idea under my account since I've been around a few years and lots of folks know me personally and might take it more seriously.
He is interested in living aboard but before committing to buying a boat for that purpose I recommended he try it first on someone else s boat.
He can either pay for the privileged or better yet someone could get a lot of work done by a real professional in exchange.
I think it would be a real win, win. In any case your boat would be left in better shape than it started with, he is a real perfectionist. Just check out his tool bag.

The yard and insurance company would have to be dealt with but I figured it might just give someone a chance to get a professional refit cheap.
It is really easy to see his work just visit his marina or talk to his customers.

David,

I just signed the contract at Brewers last week. Otherwise I might take you up on it for January to March. It would be good to have another person helping with a couple things, especially if my family could "visit" for a weekend in Annapolis. Too far to sail for the weekend, but a great sail if she was staying longer.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.
Old 11-30-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
stan you need 5 posts for PM,s. go to the offtopic section and post in the song chain thread. or even better read around and see is you have some input or questions.