Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010

Incantation is on a distinguished road
centre cockpit manufacturers 30-40'

Hey guys,

Looking to move up from my hunter 22; I am open to getting anything in the 30-40' range.. and I am looking for a centre cockpit configuration, specifically with aft cabin accessible via main cabin only; I do not want aft cabin access via cockpit.

In doing my due diligence I have become familiar with the following manufacturers/boats:
S2 (9.2c)
Irwin (32.5 and 37)
O'day (32)
Coronado (32 - although there is very little information available, or at least I haven't had much luck)
Storebro

That's about it. The boat will be used for weekend/week trips, and also hanging out in the marina as well entertaining guests. I live in the pacific northwest (Vancouver, BC, Canada) and so most of the "open" water we will be sailing in will be sheltered by Vancouver Island.

I have done extensive research regarding pros and cons of centre/aft configurations and the aft cabin is the real selling point for us.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Last edited by Incantation; 10-26-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
There is also the Clipper Marine 32. If you want tunnel access to the aft cabin, i think that rules out the o'days, that only had cockpit access. I'd look at an S2 9.2c or 11.0c- attractive, decently built, good amenities and layout, relatively affordable.
Old 10-26-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The Coronado you mention was a 35.. don't believe they made a 32 center cockpit. I also think an aft cabin/CC boat that doesn't have cockpit access unless it has other on-deck access (like from an aft deck area) will be rare.

However the Tanzer 10.5 might fit your bill... Good PNW boat too...

Tanzer 10.5 - Used Sailboat Market in Canada

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-26-2010

Great.. thanks. Checking out the 11.0c and the clipper now. Cheers
Old 10-26-2010

Wow Tanzers are beautiful.. thanks.

Anyone else?
Old 10-27-2010
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Tanzer

I was wondering if anyone knew much about the Tanzer 10.5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
The Coronado you mention was a 35.. don't believe they made a 32 center cockpit. I also think an aft cabin/CC boat that doesn't have cockpit access unless it has other on-deck access (like from an aft deck area) will be rare.

However the Tanzer 10.5 might fit your bill... Good PNW boat too...

Tanzer 10.5 - Used Sailboat Market in Canada
Old 10-27-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incantation View Post
Looking to move up from my hunter 22; I am open to getting anything in the 30-40' range.. and I am looking for a centre cockpit configuration, specifically with aft cabin accessible via main cabin only; I do not want aft cabin access via cockpit.
Hallberg Rassy of various vintages 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40 feet. Najad, Bavaria, Morgan, Endeavor, and Moody all had a 38. Pearson 385 and 39. Oyster had some small center cockpits. There is a small Amel also.

Just about all of them have a walkthrough that isn't full standing height so you have to duck or grouse. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Catalina/Morgan - 38 (I think) from the 90's - again (I think). There was one in our marina a few years ago and being a Catalina fan and previous owner I liked it.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 10-27-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Check out the C&C Landfall 39. She's arguably put together better than any of those listed above and will also out sail them. The cabin area is huge and nearly perfect in layout to my eyes. They can be had for ~$65-75k.

Don't forget that S2 also made a center cockpit version of the 11.0 (called the 11.0c) in addition to the 9.2c you listed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most center cockpit boats below 45' LOA are going to be a bit odd looking. Most will have the aft cabin accessible from both the main cabin, via a fairly small passageway as SVA points out, as well as from the cockpit. I doubt that any of them are designed so the aft cabin can not be accessed from the cockpit.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.