Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
I have done fruit wine, ordinary wine, and some beer. The wines were better. Maybe I knew more then.
You don't need heat - you are not distilling. In fact 40-60 F is better to preserve the flavours and aromas.
To sterilise the mix you can use a low dose of metabisulphite or campden tablets. Too much kills the yeast though it will gradually reduce as the other function is to prevent oxidation ie browning until the co2 displaces the air. Using natural yeasts can be good but more risky. In a winery yeasts naturally accumulate in the environment.
Juicing might be a problem or a bit labour intensive. One way i found was to extract the lavours and juice by using osmosis ie a moderately strong sugar water solution. That would technically be fruit flavoured and be careful not have too much as too high alcohol defeats the point of a refreshing drink. The less solids the better, so rack them off quite early.
The main problems are contamination so sterilise equipment, and try to minimise air space to stop vinegar bacteria and oxidation. Also have a tiny amount of bisulphite remaining. The other real problem is sediment. The stuff can look clear and still have quite a bit settle out. So try to rack a few times. This less an issue with cider where some cloudiness is ok than it is with wine. There will still be enough yeast to ferment a little added sugar for a sparkle, or probably you will not ferment it out entirely as you won't want it totally dry.
An interesting hobby to try to get the taste right, balanced acidity, flavours, sweetness and tannin. So taste and adjust if required rather than just bottle and hope.
Space means it is not easy to make large quantities on a boat. Since air is the enemy you probably need a smaller second container for topping up after racking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Landlocked, I appreciate glass but I've used plastic because it is lighter, less likely to smash, and one-liter bottles make a handy have to have a drink without needing to open a second.

I'd think the carbouys would be best kept in a hammock or sling, to reduce the motion on them. And the airlock possibly elevated more than usual, so a little sloshing didn't clog it.
Old 10-27-2010

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
I've never done beer but I do Wine onboard and a 6 gal carboy fits the V-Berth stand up area nicely

I use "C-Bright" (cleaner) and "NuFoam" (commercial bar/rest. disinfectant) to make sure everything's clean and sanitary.

6 gals. avgs. 28-30 bottles of finished wine.

p.s.
Name the stuff after your boat like I did.
www.stoneycreekwinepress.com is reasonable for quality labels.
Attached Thumbnails
So I started Brewing...-bluemerlot.jpg  

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-27-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Nice label. going to have to try doing a mead someday. Not ready to leap up to wine making, since I already have so much brewing equipment. I try and keep 3 5-gallon corneys full at all times, under pressure, in the shop.
Old 10-27-2010
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Awesome ideas guys! I'm sticking to my basement for now until I outgrow it... I'm amazed people are actually brewing/fermenting on there boats! I was half kidding!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 10-27-2010

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl762 View Post
Not ready to leap up to wine making, since I already have so much brewing equipment.
1, 6 gal. carboy,
pour in 1 bx. wine grape concentrate & whatever other flavor you may want.
add water to 5.5/6 gals and stir well.

Start 1 pk. yeast ("Red Star" Montrachet 14-16% OR Premier Cuvee 18% alc./really dry . works well) in 1/2 cup 105F warm water w/ 1 tsp. sugar and let it start perking.
add to carboy

put a dry airlock or terry towel on it for 2-3 days (yeast needs air at first)

put an airlock (w/ water in it) on and you will have wine in 4-5 weeks.

rack, clarify and bottle it.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MacGyverRI; 10-28-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
I am into brewing in a huge way. My previous photo is my keezer (keg freezer) in my living room, with 8 beers on tap (pause while I go to refill)

The reason I have not been hanging out here to talk sailing for most of the last year was spending time with the brewing crowd. Yes beer is that important. I went from 5 gallon extract to 10 gallon "all grain" electric set up this last year. "Sailing and Beer" a match made in heaven. I believe beer was even part of the rations in the British Navy as it is on my boat.

As much as I like beer, brewing takes up way to much room. My dream boat is 38 feet I would have to add 10 fee to even think about brewing on board. Under 40 feet I would think more about vodka drinks.

I have spent the last year making brewing more complicated. But if (when) I live aboard, and I had enough space here is what i would try to do brewing onboard K.I.S.S.

Better bottles or P.E.T. containers for fermenting, no glass. Broke my first carboy yesterday. It was scary and I was on dry land.

Apfelwein dry german style apple cider (cheap apple juice, sugar for alcohol and dry wine yeast)

Corny kegs for storage and serving;

Primary fermenting only (30 days) then keg.

Salt water for rinsing, oxiclean for cleaning, star-san for sanitizing.

My biggest brew/sail challenge this coming season is to figure out how to secure a keg when chartering next summer?
Old 10-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverRI View Post
1, 6 gal. carboy,

Start 1 pk. yeast (Montrachet Premier Cuvee 16% alc. works well) in 1/2 cup 105F warm water w/ 1 tsp. sugar and let it start perking.
add to carboy

Yep, that's how easy it is! That's what I love about it... Great recipe, although i'm not interested in wine quite yet.

Old 10-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I am into brewing in a huge way. My previous photo is my keezer (keg freezer) in my living room, with 8 beers on tap (pause while I go to refill)

The reason I have not been hanging out here to talk sailing for most of the last year was spending time with the brewing crowd. Yes beer is that important. I went from 5 gallon extract to 10 gallon "all grain" electric set up this last year. "Sailing and Beer" a match made in heaven. I believe beer was even part of the rations in the British Navy as it is on my boat.

As much as I like beer, brewing takes up way to much room. My dream boat is 38 feet I would have to add 10 fee to even think about brewing on board. Under 40 feet I would think more about vodka drinks.

I have spent the last year making brewing more complicated. But if (when) I live aboard, and I had enough space here is what i would try to do brewing onboard K.I.S.S.

Better bottles or P.E.T. containers for fermenting, no glass. Broke my first carboy yesterday. It was scary and I was on dry land.

Apfelwein dry german style apple cider (cheap apple juice, sugar for alcohol and dry wine yeast)

Corny kegs for storage and serving;

Primary fermenting only (30 days) then keg.

Salt water for rinsing, oxiclean for cleaning, star-san for sanitizing.

My biggest brew/sail challenge this coming season is to figure out how to secure a keg when chartering next summer?
I hear you! There is alot of equipment if you really want to be technical. I'm already plotting out my next moves, possibly heating and cooling my garage... Right now i'm doing it as cheaply as possible. Picked up a keg last night for my boiling needs and have more lined up soon. It can be done with very little at first - then you have to feed the monster!

Old 10-28-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyverRI View Post
1, 6 gal. carboy,

Start 1 pk. yeast (Montrachet Premier Cuvee 16% alc. works well) in 1/2 cup 105F warm water w/ 1 tsp. sugar and let it start perking.
add to carboy

Dang that's easy....to bad I cant stand wine.....well on the other had its probably a blessing.. .....right St Anna?

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.