Gotta love the Brits

Instead of talking about it they go out and try things:

YouTube - YachtingMonthly's Channel

Cool beans.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-27-2010

Thanks

Jack

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #3 of 10 Old 10-27-2010
Handsome devil

She looks to still have a rudder....sailing a boat without one is way harder then one locked mid ships.

"Go Simple...Go Large"

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-27-2010
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator

What is it about the Brits ? I'm Australian of Irish/English ancestry so I have something of a love hate relationship with the English (especially when they are beating us at cricket ) but you have to admire so much about them.

Think of Francis Chichester....round the world single handed, most of the time pissed as a newt on Gin and Tonic. Way to go Francis.

Yachting Monthly is a fabulous magazine. Unfortunately by the time it gets down here it is hellishly expensive but always worth a read and while not wishing to laud the opposition the YBW website is well worth visiting.

For a glimpse at all that is good about the Brits...check out friend of the Wombat , Dylan Winter and his 'Keep Turning Left' saga. if you can take your rivetting at a very slow pace, then this is rivetting indeed. (search u-tube for 'keep turning left' or go to

Keep Turning Left

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
post #5 of 10 Old 10-27-2010 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

As an American who lived and sailed in the UK for a year my comment is mostly relative to Americans and western Europeans. We don't have anything like the normal conditions in the EU, or that attitude toward training, certification, and practice. My opinion; others may difference.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-28-2010
Handsome devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
As an American who lived and sailed in the UK for a year my comment is mostly relative to Americans and western Europeans. We don't have anything like the normal conditions in the EU, or that attitude toward training, certification, and practice. My opinion; others may difference.

I would agree with that...were not as traditional to be sure....I was only making an observation about the rudder....as I have seen this numerous times by others...yes the principals are the same but the outcome will be quite harder to achieve sans rudder completely....Still very viable information to store away in the ol noggin.

"Go Simple...Go Large"

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 10-28-2010 at 12:27 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-28-2010

Nice video - thanks!

Catalina 36 MKII
Florida
post #8 of 10 Old 10-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I would agree with that...were not as traditional to be sure....I was only making an observation about the rudder....as I have seen this numerous times by others...yes the principals are the same but the outcome will be quite harder to achieve sans rudder completely....Still very viable information to store away in the ol noggin.
Actually I'm not sure the boat has a rudder.

I think the piece under the boat that looks like a rudder is part of the hull. The two fittings top and bottom in the centre of the transom look like rudder pintles where the rudder used to be. I also can't see a wheel or a tiller.

I believe the rudder was removed.

Using body weight on a little boat obviously works - on my boat (44ft, 12t) it would have the boat chuckling in disbelief at the efforts of mortals. Using the drogue is quite clever too but whilst it would get you heading in the right direction, you may not live long enough to make landfall.

For me the trimming of the sails is the best choice and the video shows just how effective that can be.

Thanks for the video - worth watching

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
post #9 of 10 Old 10-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
What is it about the Brits ?.

Think of Francis Chichester....round the world single handed, most of the time pissed as a newt on Gin and Tonic. Way to go Francis.

For a glimpse at all that is good about the Brits...check out friend of the Wombat , Dylan Winter and his 'Keep Turning Left' saga. if you can take your rivetting at a very slow pace, then this is rivetting indeed. (search u-tube for 'keep turning left' or go to

Keep Turning Left
Those who appreciate some of our UK sailing eccentricities may also find the Jester Challenge of interest

This is a good set of videos.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-29-2010
Splashed

They removed the rudder before going out, so yes what you see are the pintles.
Another interesting sailor is Roger Taylor: Introduction to the junk-rigged Corribee Mingming
+I totally agree with the Wombat, go to Keep Turning Left, pay the $4.99 and enjoy the videos!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.