Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Have not done an around the world, but I have done some trips that require a lot of charts.

I keep charts in large plastic "ziplocks" under the berth / settee cushions. Each case is labelled with the general area and the charts included in the case. The chart number is on the lower right while in the case. (I am not that anal at home. )

Many circumnavigators trade charts while in sailing "crossroads."
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

My favorite grounding was the guys who forgot about Sable Island and went all the way across on one GPS waypoint

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-28-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Well, a lot, especially those not doing a NON-STOP circumnavigation, will trade charts of where they have been for charts of where they're going when in port. Usually, someone is going where you have been and someone has been where you are going.
Yep. Chart swaps and advice along with a few beers. My Pacific / NZ set has crossed 3 times and is on the way back thanks to St Anna, Wintersea, Rushcutter

Last edited by St Anna; 10-28-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
SD has it right - the trading of charts is relatively standard. Some though (me included) like to keep all the charts they have used because they provide an excellent record of a voyage in the future. When the memory sags, the charts will refresh.

Just an interesting process that I have used - if you live in or near a port, try making a habit of visiting foreign vessels in the harbour and talk to the second officer or someone in a position of relative authority. Ships are inclined to maintain the latest charts and they will only update charts to a certain extent before replacing them.

Their discarded charts are not only quite well updated but are normally in good shape and can be had for a few dollars. I have done that many times over the years and have more than once swapped several charts for a case of beer!!

I have over the years built up a formidable library of charts, some for places I'll probably never go but then they still have swap value for the future and I got them for a song, so to speak.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-28-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
We just added about 130 charts that will take us from Panama to Tonga (and includes many areas that we are not going to use). We are lucky to have a very large chart table drawer - I think we could store 500+ charts there and may have to in the next few years. We are using Raymarine Gold charts for our primary navigation and have paper charts and other electronic charts as back up. I am sort of old-fashioned and very comfortable with paper charts.

Not sure how chart swapping works without a lot of costly shipping since people tend to be going in the same way. We will be taking charts from the US east coast and Eastern Caribbean with us and will keep adding to them as we go.
Old 10-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Excellent suggestion from Andre...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
SD has it right - the trading of charts is relatively standard. Some though (me included) like to keep all the charts they have used because they provide an excellent record of a voyage in the future. When the memory sags, the charts will refresh.

Just an interesting process that I have used - if you live in or near a port, try making a habit of visiting foreign vessels in the harbour and talk to the second officer or someone in a position of relative authority. Ships are inclined to maintain the latest charts and they will only update charts to a certain extent before replacing them.

Their discarded charts are not only quite well updated but are normally in good shape and can be had for a few dollars. I have done that many times over the years and have more than once swapped several charts for a case of beer!!

I have over the years built up a formidable library of charts, some for places I'll probably never go but then they still have swap value for the future and I got them for a song, so to speak.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-29-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Navigating by GPS is asking for trouble, assuming you don't have an electrical or hardware failure. There are several threads on this board from owners who lost their boats due to relying on a GPS' display of their destination, while ignoring the hazards that might exist before they get there...
Old 10-29-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
Chart swapping is a common practice. The problems arise when the anchorage's going the same way as you but thankfully, that isn't that common. A lot of vessels will carry charts for the leg and some basic charts for the next couple of legs. In an anchorage, they'll post a note or two looking to trade of purchase charts of a particular area.

If I were to be using electronic charts, there are world folios that I'd consider or possibly obtaining chips/discs from other cruisers.

I know of desperate folks that have had photocopies sent to them but the cost of shipping was high. They needed the charts and therefore had no choice.

On my last 8 year cruise, I carried the entire set of charts I needed. They took up about 12" of vertical space on top of the starboard pilot berth, but I was sleeping in the saloon or cockpit most of the time and didn't much mind.

Old 10-29-2010

Maxboatspeed is on a distinguished road
Yes - charts are good.
Sure - guys can sail without them.
Notice the little marks on charts indicating shipwrecks.
If you don't want to be one of these marks - get paper charts that matter to you. Yes - cost and storage space is a consideration. It's true that "outdated" stuff can be found - cheap. Unfortunately, ya can't board ships (us) and trade for charts anymore. Still, pros toss good (2nd to latest version) charts. 2nd hand chandlers deal them.
Be happy to create space for the charts you have for your voyage. Know the limitations of deciding to go without large scale stuff. Having options is good .
Carry what applies to a leg of your journey. How many can vary drastically. I've used 40+ for a 800nm trip. Same distance - 1 chart.
Harbor charts only matter if the harbor might matter. Large scale charts of planned stops, possible safe harbors, and unplanned options.
Cruising chart books can be adequate - used properly.
Chartplotters are cool - they do not replace paper! It's not ok to navigate without paper charts.
Which charts to carry is the navigators choice (ok- not always).
Thinking the bad stuff happened because batteries, electronics, software, GPS, lighthouse, etc failed is not an option.

Yah, paper charts are good. Correcting 300 can suck. one of you gets that.
Safe sailing
Max
Old 10-29-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Another couple of things that I could mention:

When you are planning a voyage, make sure that firstly, you have charts not only for your chosen stops but far any and possibly all the bolt-holes along the route. You never know where you may have to go in an emergency and when things are already stressed and dangerous the last thing you need is to arrive at a strange coastline sans charts.

Secondly, another must in my view is the appropriate coastal pilots for coastlines along your route because charts provide limited info regarding sneaking into hidey-holes when ducking for cover whereas pilots provide tiny and valuable detail.

I speak of this from bitter experience.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke