SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Circumnavigation navigating...... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/69456-circumnavigation-navigating.html)

Minnewaska 10-28-2010 06:55 AM

Circumnavigation navigating......

How in goodness name do these folks keep charts for all the places they may need to approach along they way? I've got a boat full of stuff just to cruise around the northeast US.

kwaltersmi 10-28-2010 08:00 AM

One trait of a good bluewater boat is plenty of storage...

LandLocked66c 10-28-2010 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 660079)
How in goodness name do these folks keep charts for all the places they may need to approach along they way? I've got a boat full of stuff just to cruise around the northeast US.

Thats the name of game. What are you gonna do without? That wouldn't be good!

donradclife 10-28-2010 09:06 AM

A lot of boats have switched to electronic charts, with only a few paper charts as backup. A circumnavigation used to require hundreds of pounds of charts, but they now all fit on one DVD.

Minnewaska 10-28-2010 09:19 AM

Seriously, people would bring charts that covered the planet? Wow.

DaveMancini 10-28-2010 09:47 AM

It's true, electronic charts are more compact, but they are also more vulnerable, as is anything electronic on your boat. If you are very select about the charts you buy you can keep the stack(s) small enough to store under settee cushions. Also, good cruising guides will help reduce the number of large scale charts you need. Finally, we have always borrowed and copied charts as we sailed and/or traded or bought charts from other cruiser as we went. We use the electronics as a backup, not a primary.

Good luck in your voyaging,

Dave Mancini

jephotog 10-28-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 660114)
Seriously, people would bring charts that covered the planet? Wow.

No I just have a globe mounted in my nav station.;)

QuickMick 10-28-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jephotog (Post 660144)
No I just have a globe mounted in my nav station.;)

can you convert it to a disco ball for parties? :p

jephotog 10-28-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMancini (Post 660120)
It's true, electronic charts are more compact, but they are also more vulnerable,

I would have a small handheld backup of the same format as my large chartplotter. Think Garmin chartplotter with a Garmin 76 backup.

I was on a boat crossing the Gulf of Mexico. We lost all power on day two and relied on a handheld Garmin 12 (ancient) to navigate the rest of the way. It would have been scary having to go into a strange port if there was not a race committee to help us into the marina.

sailingdog 10-28-2010 11:49 AM

Well, a lot, especially those not doing a NON-STOP circumnavigation, will trade charts of where they have been for charts of where they're going when in port. Usually, someone is going where you have been and someone has been where you are going.