Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
These are all great suggestions. Thank you. Plan for six months, sail for two weeks. About the same as the maintenance / sailing ratio. Boat is on the hard now, going out tomorrow to finish a few chores for the winter. Must be in denial.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
An early post suggested Cape Porpoise which is a favoriteof ours, but a consideration should be made of your underwater confiruration. We have a full keel that is contiguous with our rudder shoe, so we don't foul any trap lines or toggles. If you can't side over the lobster trap floats without snagging them; then, the inlet at Cape Porpoise may be difficult. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 10-30-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
You shoud not have any problems except for a few spots like Damariscove Island or perhaps Perry Creek but even that is doable.

Some insider tips:

Robinhood Cove
- Ignore the marina end of the cove and head down SW into the long cove, good holding and peace & quiet. Beware worst mosquitoes on the cost reside on the Georgetown and Phippsburg peninsulas.

Love Cove Ebenecook - on the West side of Townsend Gut. You'll need to anchor.

Seal Cove - up the Damariscotta River come in at the top half of the tide and you can get over the shallow spot.

Seal Bay - Vinalhaven - I have seen 140 footers in there.

Long Cove Vinal Haven - Beautiful spot if you go up in.

The Basin Vinalhaven - DO NOT take your boat in there! I've been in three times but now that I am older won't do that again in the big boat. I suggest anchoring in Long Cove, next door, and taking the dink over for a lobster bake on one of the many small islands that dot the Basin. One of the most beautiful spots on the coast. YouTube - The Basin - Vinalhaven Island, ME

Winter Harbor Vinalhaven - Simply amazing you can go way in past the big rock and no one else will follow you

Carvers Cove (Not Carvers Harbor) best sunrises on the coast

Sand Beach - Marshall Island (great day stop)

Frenchboro / Long Island - Lunt's dock has the best lobster on the planet. This is is second best hike on the coast. I have ALWAYS had excellent holding just outside the moorings beyond the ferry dock.

Wreck Island - Merchant Row

McGlathery Island (West Side) - Great beach for a lobster bake

Hells Half Acre (North Side) - Great spot - /

Isle Au Haut Thorofare - Moorings put money in coke bottle, best hiking ANYWHERE on the coast. A few of the moorings are tight but I have seen 60+ footers in there. Plan to spend a full day hiking the trails of Acadia. Duck Harbor is nice but has lots of granite and can be poor holding have seen more than one boat on the rocks there. Duck Harbor view from Duck Harbor Mtn.

Burnt Coat Harbor Swans Island - Go in and pass the rental moorings near the big building. GO past all the fishing boats and anchor up in the cove roughly across from the church. No morning lobster boat traffic and a nice peaceful spot.

Over Rated Spots IMHO (as a local):

Camden
Pulpit Harbor
Perry Creek
SW Harbor
Rockport
Tennants Harbor
Rockland
Bar Harbor (stay at NE Harbor and take the free Island Explorer bus system to anywhere on MDI including Bar Harbor.)

Under Rated Spots IMHO:

Round Pond - Muscongus Bay
Castine
Belfast
Northeast Harbor
JO Browns North Haven - Fox Isle Thorofare
Stonington - Anchor off town and can provision at the store which is right off the town docks where you can tie your dinghy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-25-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2010

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
I’ll add a couple of thoughts not reflected in other posts:

On your way north --

Hadley Harbor (BuzzBay) -- limited room, so arrive early (and not on a weekend). You can’t go ashore, but it’s a very nice, secure anchorage with free moorings (unless the owner shows up). Very limited room to anchor.

Provincetown -- mentioned above, but I’ll second it. Lots of room to anchor, either near the town or under the lee of Long Point. It’s a very special place with a unique culture. If you want to avoid the crowds and “festive” nature of the town, anchor off Long Pont and enjoy the natural environment.

And in Maine itself --

York Beach, ME -- nice anchorage off the beach in settled weather with winds from the south. Probably untenable with anything strong from the north (wind or swell). Easy in and easy out.

Portland -- interesting town with moorings (and dock space) available within walking distance to town. Good chandlery (Hamilton Marine) and many fine restaurants. Good place to change crews.

Jewel Island -- a few miles out of Portland. Arrive early as the space is limited. Great walks ashore.

Hog Island (Muscongus Bay) -- also a spot with limited anchorage and only a couple of moorings, but home of an nature camp with lots of walking trails ashore. We always try to make it here on every trip to ME.

Rockland -- lots of room to anchor and many moorings available. Around the first of August it’s home to a Lobster Festival, which is probably as close to an authentic Maine festival as you’ll find. Sure there are tourists in attendance, but I think the backwoods empties during the festival. Many good restaurants, and a wonderful art museum featuring several generations of the Wyeth family. Also a great place to change crews.

Have fun. ME is a great place.

PS for Maine Sail: How much did the Chamber of Commerce pay you for that post?
Old 11-27-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Thanks to everyone. I've been through the Taft book and now have exactly the mix of conflicting information I was looking for.

Is there a good single planning chart for the New England coast from the Cape through Maine? I've printed four charts and tapped them together, although, the scale is slightly off between them.

I'm hoping to code and mark a chart with all of our options, so we can just swing the dividers, based on wind and weather, and see what's available.
Old 11-28-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
....Is there a good single planning chart for the New England coast from the Cape through Maine? I've printed four charts and tapped them together, although, the scale is slightly off between them....
It might be too large a scale, but one option is:

Bay of Fundy to Cape Cod

More of Cape Cod in this one:

West Quoddy Head to New York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 11-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
It might be too large a scale, but one option is:

Bay of Fundy to Cape Cod
Perfect. I feel like a bit of a num num for missing this one. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2011

We are off on Friday. As you can see, we've been planning the trip for 7 full months. For future reference, that is way too long to anticipate. Weather will be cool, probably mid 60s during the day, with occasional peaks at 70. We've done some spring shakedown trips in the Bay and out to Block Island in those temps and can accommodate them easily.

We made a couple of modifications. First, we decided to have the boat delivered up there, so we would not have to do the roundtrip and half the amount of ground we could cover. She is actually underway right now. Secondly, since we've been to Bar Harbor and Acadia before (no boat), we decided to just start in Penobscot Bay and will poke around that area for as much as the first week.

Thanks to all for the input. This is where I first learned of ActiveCaptain and now have the database saved offline on my Ipad. It is an incredible cruising resource.

Cheers.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-08-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
we decided to just start in Penobscot Bay and will poke around that area
The area we love - you could be there for months!

Breakfast and coffee at Bah's Bakehouse in Castine
laundry beside the co-op in Belfast
Free moorings in Warren Island State park

So many fantastic places, too little time!

I'm helping a friend move his new to him boat from Salem MA to Saint Andrews NB later in the month. PM me with your call sign and schedule if you want.

Enjoy

Rik, Linda and Captain Hook
Mystery
Old 06-08-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
The area we love - you could be there for months!

Breakfast and coffee at Bah's Bakehouse in Castine
laundry beside the co-op in Belfast
Free moorings in Warren Island State park

So many fantastic places, too little time!

I'm helping a friend move his new to him boat from Salem MA to Saint Andrews NB later in the month. PM me with your call sign and schedule if you want.

Enjoy

Rik, Linda and Captain Hook
Mystery
Bah's is a full ***** five stars from both my wife and I. I even bought a Bah's Bakery hat.. Perhaps the best breakfast spot on the coast. Eclectic and very tasty...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.