Maine - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 80 Old 06-25-2011
old guy :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
The Basin on Vinalhaven is even more of that but you need big brass man jewells to go in there..
Yup, we circled, we looked, we circled, we said "Maybe not! There is probably a trick to it"

But - we do want to try it. Maybe this year.

Irwin Citation 34
Mystery
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 80 Old 06-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
Yup, we circled, we looked, we circled, we said "Maybe not! There is probably a trick to it"

But - we do want to try it. Maybe this year.
The trick is to go in with the dinghy. There are MANY non-charted erratic boulders thrown like marbles along the entrance. It can be done but I won't do it again after going in at low tide in the dinghy and seeing the sheer number of gigantic erratics along the entrance.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #43 of 80 Old 06-03-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Maine

Maine is back on the rotation!! We're planning a two week cruise this summer and will try to hit a few more of the above recommendations. Thanks again to all!

This time, we're planning the 24 to 30 hr direct sail from the Cape Cod Canal to the Maine coast. So I'm looking for the best landing spot when we get there. Here's what I'm hoping for......

No brainer access (my wife may not do well with the watch system and I may have been up for 30 hrs straight)
Well protected so it's not vulnerable to Murphy's Law and exposed the day we arrive.
No concern over anchorage or mooring availability, but no reservation.
Probably a Sun or Mon arrival, if that matters for accessibility.
A little town would be nice to get off the boat and have a meal (maybe after I sleep). Not mandatory.
Prefer not to motor or jibe up a long inland passage. Once we see land, we're going to want to drop the hook soon.
We're think of Penobscot area, give or take, but open to all recommendations.

We're very excited about coming back.

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #44 of 80 Old 06-03-2015

Head straight for MDI and grab a mooring at NE Harbor. This is a good spot to begin meandering your way back West....

If you really want to enjoy Maine do a Man's delivery trip the week before and grab a one way rental home. Start your trip in Maine and maximize......

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #45 of 80 Old 06-06-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks MS. We've been to MDI hiking before, but have never been by boat. Is NE harbor going to have both moorings (54ft swing) and anchorage easily available without reservation, in July?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #46 of 80 Old 06-06-2015

Thanks for restarting this thread.
If you only had 12 -14d and you were starting in Barrington R.I. Where would you go?
Limitations 6'6" draft. Just me and the bride for watches.
seaner97 likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #47 of 80 Old 06-06-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Thanks for restarting this thread.
If you only had 12 -14d and you were starting in Barrington R.I. Where would you go?
Limitations 6'6" draft. Just me and the bride for watches.
Essentially identical requirements and crew resources. One other factor is your swing. Many mooring fields don't have many options over 50 ft.

To do Maine in two weeks, at least one way will need to be a long couple of days to get it done. Our plan is to bang that out early and hop back. Last time, as you read above, we had her delivered out and we sailed her back. Luxurious. This time, my wife actually wants to give the overnight a try. She's only been sailing for 6ish years now. So that I don't ruin my chances on future longer passages she will be willing to come along on, conditions are going to need to be ideal.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #48 of 80 Old 06-06-2015

I'm a little luckier. Although wife is new to sailing (3+ yrs.) she was a powerboat live aboard in her youth. She is safe to stand single handed watches and stare at the screens but needs me on deck for major evolutions ( reefing, changing sail plan or major wind shifts). We did go to Maine last year with just the two of us. She has done multiple long coastal hops ( back and forth to Hampton, Norfolk and Annapolis) so I trust her to be safe even in fog or at night.
She's still working so options are there and back during her limited summer vacation or there and her rent a car to get home leaving me on the boat until she gets another multi day break and does another one way rental to help get back to homeport.
In past we get to Penobscot with in a long day as its "down east" ( no beating and can count on 7+ knots) but back is another thing and takes 2 days.
Trying to decide what to do.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #49 of 80 Old 06-06-2015 Thread Starter

Love Penobscot and will definitely head there again. Saw about 2% of it in a full week. Shore hop down to Casco, perhaps, then may try Marblehead in one shot back from there.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #50 of 80 Old 06-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Thanks MS. We've been to MDI hiking before, but have never been by boat. Is NE harbor going to have both moorings (54ft swing) and anchorage easily available without reservation, in July?
It is my understanding that the moorings in NE Harbor are first come first served. They do have some for your size boat, see this rate schedule:
http://www.mtdesert.org/Public_Docum...er%20rates.pdf

There is no good anchorage there. You might be happy anchoring near the Cranberry Islands, but an even better choice is go up to Somes Harbor. There is plenty of room to anchor there, there is a dinghy landing and dumpster, and one of the free bus routes passes right by, making it a 15 minute ride to Bar Harbor.

I usually want to stretch my legs, so I will walk down to the bus stop at the Somesville Library, a short and easy trip, plus you can sit and enjoy the view of the water or of the flowers along a little bridge nearby. If you have a heavy load of laundry, etc. you can flag the bus down. If the bus is full (which happens later in the morning/day) it will not stop, since it will have picked up a full load in SouthWest Harbor and other points along the way, so best to plan your errands earlier in the day.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.