Do you Tell your crews to jump off the boat when docking? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Ooop, typo I meant "docking"

Just wondering how other skippers do their docking.

I am from the old school. I never permit my crews to jump off the boat to secure the line to the dock. There are so many ways to dock without risking the safety of the crew. If the dock is unsuccessful for the first approach, go around for the second time. The boat can be replaced or repaired, the life of the crew is not. The safety of my crews comes first, my boat comes next.

From the last trip, the captain was yelling at me because I failed to jump off the boat.

What is your take?
My take is that there is nothing "old school" about your approach. Yours is the standard and proper approach: NEVER jump from the boat to the dock while docking.

If a skipper yelled at me to jump, I'd walk back and ask if he'd like me to bring his boat in for him.

We had a long thread about this a couple years back.. okay, here it is:

A Sad Story

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadawn View Post
I think I'm going to embroider this on a pillow.
I've learned to warn the crew, at times when I may yell due to wind or engine noise, to understand that it's simply my primitive loudspeaker system. I learned this after my wife advised me TOO YELL MORE LOUDLY, when I'm up front and she's in the back and can't hear.

I'm also permitted to swear freely at myself and the engine. Quiet muttering is preferred, but not always as effective.

I think most skippers have learned that unless you are docking alone, a brief pre-arrival discussion of the plan is the best medicine. There should be a plan for a failed approach, where the wind or tide surprises you.

Eventually a line has to get ashore, and with some docks that means someone's getting off... but not jumping. We have gates fore and aft on both sides to facilitate stepping off.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 11-01-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-01-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Step off - when ready.

I also teach / use the single line docking with a spring line.
Yup. If jumping looks necessary, I'll back out and 'do over'. Rock dawg, send a link to this thread to your 'jumping' skipper.

Last edited by puddinlegs; 11-01-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Since I had to perform a MOB rescue IN MY SLIP last winter after my buddy missed the finger when stepping off, I've decided to just get better at speed and direction control.

Poor schmuck.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-01-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Smacky

You have to "hit" the dock WITH THE FENDERS.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 11-01-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Smacky

You have to "hit" the dock WITH THE FENDERS.
You mean those "bumper" thingies?

Old 11-01-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
On my boat...CREW = FENDER.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 11-01-2010

wonk is on a distinguished road
My boat lives on a mooring, so I dock very rarely (like four times last season), but when I do there's no jumping. If you're close enough to jump, you're close enough to reach out with a boat hook and you can do almost anything with a boat hook that you would do standing on the dock... Since I dock so infrequently and usually at a very short dock with a weird approach, it usually takes me a couple tries anyway, so I have no qualms about pulling out and trying again if I'm not getting it right...
Old 11-01-2010

KiteRider is on a distinguished road
My wife is generally my first mate and she always does what she's told and nothing else. I have a few buddies that I take out time to time and I have to actively and repeatedly tell them not to do things like jump off the boat or attempt to fend off docks and objects with their hands or feet. They are both stinkpotters with only small boat experience and little patience. They won't listen to me much on the small boats (until something goes wrong) but luckily the size of our sailboat intimidates them into listening.

As others have said the only time anyone jumps off our boat is when she's at anchor in a good swimming spot.
Old 11-01-2010

Siamese is on a distinguished road
No jumping onto the dock from my boat. Except my brother-in-law...he can jump. Dock not required.