SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What fuel do you use for cooking? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/69551-what-fuel-do-you-use-cooking.html)

ffiill 11-01-2010 12:43 PM

What fuel do you use for cooking?

An advert for Wallas diesel cooking stoves prompts the question what fuel do you use for cooking and if you use gas but travel outside the area of your local,bottled gas stockist how do you manage.
Over here in UK I use bottled propane from our biggest national supplier Calor Gas. Throughout Europe I can also use Camping Gaz International Butane.
I have heard tell that particularly in Pacific Islands ;Caribbean and third world countries you can get your own brand of bottle refilled from a big tank?
Love the idea of Taylors primus type cookers other than pain of priming the system with meths.
Wallas of course is auto electrically operated like a central heating oil burner but of course needs electricity-great so long as you do not have battery problems!

rmeador 11-01-2010 01:50 PM

I didn't realize that refilling propane tanks isn't done everywhere. I can only speak about the US, but here you can get your tanks refilled. There are plenty of places that do tank exchanges too, which I think is what you're saying is the norm in the UK. The tank has to meet certain specifications to be refilled (this was just changed a few years ago, the new ones have a triangular valve knob on top).

sailingdog 11-01-2010 02:55 PM

The new tanks with the triangular shaped valve knob have a Overfill Protection Device, which prevents the tank from being filled past a certain point, so the propane has enough room to expand as the tank heats up...

bljones 11-01-2010 03:01 PM

I use methyl alcohol. which can also be used to run your dinghy O/B very very fast for a very very short period of time.

tdw 11-01-2010 04:11 PM

Changed the Womboat from what we call Metho (alcohol ?) to LPG as soon as the new stove could be delivered and installed.

Down here in larger population centres you'll usually find that bottle swap centres are the go. Bit of a pain cos the quality of the bottles themselves varies enormously. Camping retail outlets and some marinas still fill you old bottle for you.

I believe you can buy adaptors to suit different valves.

PorFin 11-01-2010 04:15 PM

Propane.

We've got a 20# horizontal tank, which precludes a simple swap out but also means I know the exact history of the tank. The tank doesn't fill like standard vertical tanks, and frequently requires some coaching with the folks doing the refill but that's manageable.

We've not tried to have it filled out of the US, but when we were living in Cuba our house stove used propane -- we had two big vertical tanks that we periodically had filled. My thinking is that if propane can be found in Cuba, I'd wager that it can prbably be found most anywhere...

carl762 11-01-2010 04:29 PM

Currently using Propane with a Force 10 Seacook stove. Have a single burner Butane stove for occasional use, when I need more than one burner. In the storage spaces are 3-5 backpacker stoves, for use on shore (Butane). I use Trioxane for a Volcano stove I use on shore for heating morning coffee water. Also have a denatured alcohol stove, military style, that I also use on shore.

Got em all covered ;)

PorFin 11-01-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carl762 (Post 661536)
Currently using Propane with a Force 10 Seacook stove. I have a single burner Butane stove I occasionally use, when I need more than one burner. In the storage spaces are 3-5 backpacker stoves, for use on shore (Butane). I use Trioxane for a Volcano stove I use on shore for heating morning coffee water. I also have a denatured alcohol stove, military style, that I also use on shore.

Got em all covered ;)

Wow, Trioxane heat tabs... brings back some memories involving c-rats and custom made stoves. Oh, and learning the hard way not to be downwind from a burning heat tab :D

carl762 11-01-2010 05:00 PM

Yes, the fire is invisible, don't touchie!!!! Very handy for starting a campfire, too. Very intense heat.

Used to actually like the turkey loaf and also the spaghetti c-rats. ;)

PorFin 11-01-2010 06:52 PM

It wasn't the flame (which burned a nice comforting blue) it was the fumes that came off the fire -- downright brutal to the nose and eyes.

I was partial to beef and boulders, myself. Of course, the pork or ham slices were nice in that you got a good desert (cinnamon nut roll -- mmmm!)