Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010

ffiill is on a distinguished road
What fuel do you use for cooking?

An advert for Wallas diesel cooking stoves prompts the question what fuel do you use for cooking and if you use gas but travel outside the area of your local,bottled gas stockist how do you manage.
Over here in UK I use bottled propane from our biggest national supplier Calor Gas. Throughout Europe I can also use Camping Gaz International Butane.
I have heard tell that particularly in Pacific Islands ;Caribbean and third world countries you can get your own brand of bottle refilled from a big tank?
Love the idea of Taylors primus type cookers other than pain of priming the system with meths.
Wallas of course is auto electrically operated like a central heating oil burner but of course needs electricity-great so long as you do not have battery problems!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I didn't realize that refilling propane tanks isn't done everywhere. I can only speak about the US, but here you can get your tanks refilled. There are plenty of places that do tank exchanges too, which I think is what you're saying is the norm in the UK. The tank has to meet certain specifications to be refilled (this was just changed a few years ago, the new ones have a triangular valve knob on top).
Old 11-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The new tanks with the triangular shaped valve knob have a Overfill Protection Device, which prevents the tank from being filled past a certain point, so the propane has enough room to expand as the tank heats up...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-01-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I use methyl alcohol. which can also be used to run your dinghy O/B very very fast for a very very short period of time.
Old 11-01-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Changed the Womboat from what we call Metho (alcohol ?) to LPG as soon as the new stove could be delivered and installed.

Down here in larger population centres you'll usually find that bottle swap centres are the go. Bit of a pain cos the quality of the bottles themselves varies enormously. Camping retail outlets and some marinas still fill you old bottle for you.

I believe you can buy adaptors to suit different valves.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-01-2010
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Propane.

We've got a 20# horizontal tank, which precludes a simple swap out but also means I know the exact history of the tank. The tank doesn't fill like standard vertical tanks, and frequently requires some coaching with the folks doing the refill but that's manageable.

We've not tried to have it filled out of the US, but when we were living in Cuba our house stove used propane -- we had two big vertical tanks that we periodically had filled. My thinking is that if propane can be found in Cuba, I'd wager that it can prbably be found most anywhere...
Old 11-01-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Currently using Propane with a Force 10 Seacook stove. Have a single burner Butane stove for occasional use, when I need more than one burner. In the storage spaces are 3-5 backpacker stoves, for use on shore (Butane). I use Trioxane for a Volcano stove I use on shore for heating morning coffee water. Also have a denatured alcohol stove, military style, that I also use on shore.

Got em all covered

Last edited by carl762; 11-01-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-01-2010
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl762 View Post
Currently using Propane with a Force 10 Seacook stove. I have a single burner Butane stove I occasionally use, when I need more than one burner. In the storage spaces are 3-5 backpacker stoves, for use on shore (Butane). I use Trioxane for a Volcano stove I use on shore for heating morning coffee water. I also have a denatured alcohol stove, military style, that I also use on shore.

Got em all covered
Wow, Trioxane heat tabs... brings back some memories involving c-rats and custom made stoves. Oh, and learning the hard way not to be downwind from a burning heat tab
Old 11-01-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Yes, the fire is invisible, don't touchie!!!! Very handy for starting a campfire, too. Very intense heat.

Used to actually like the turkey loaf and also the spaghetti c-rats.
Old 11-01-2010
Señor Member

It wasn't the flame (which burned a nice comforting blue) it was the fumes that came off the fire -- downright brutal to the nose and eyes.

I was partial to beef and boulders, myself. Of course, the pork or ham slices were nice in that you got a good desert (cinnamon nut roll -- mmmm!)