Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: Cuba in my sights

Minnewaska, when you reference 50 year old political events as a reason to avoid traveling to Cuba, it's really really hard not to make certain assumptions about what you're thinking...also, I do believe I've noted in several posts that I am not suggesting Americans go, but if they choose to, then here are some ways to do so. Some legal, some not so...I'm not being a moralist here, just pragmatic.
fwiw, my opinion on the embargo is that it is a failure, and should be dropped. Dispensing with any argument as to why it has been a failure in the past:
the current situation is that Cuba has lots of tourists from every other nation. vis a vis tourism, the embargo is pointless.
Insofar as not permitting US trade with Cuba, again, they can buy whatever they want from any other country in the world. The embargo is again pointless. Cuba's major problem is they don't have the money to buy goods, or medicines, or whatever, from the US. They're pretty much broke.
That being said, Cuba currently buys most of its food from America. So the embargo is nuanced.
It's a handy human rights tool for those who wish to rail about Cuba's human rights' issues - but when the US maintains diplomatic relations with China, it's a tad hypocritical wouldn't you say?
Should anyone break the law? No, I think not, although I'll accept that there are times when that indeed should happen. But if they're going to go to Cuba regardless of the embargo, or want to understand the parameters involved in the decision, I can certainly provide information in those areas.
Jane.Joy likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road
hola amigos- logicos y locos tambien

Hola, I've been off the site for while it's good to see you folks back & actively chatting- I love the overall vibe of people wanting to go~I have more news to report of other sailors whom have gone recently & it is all positive! let me start there

Also, start by saying that I now live in a marina along the south west coast of Florida: I won't mention which out of fear(LOL) of those black helicopters in the sky(mentioned above). Though Miles & Bach are my musical flavours these days- I believe O Osborn wrote a song titled Paranoid, further Bruce Springsteen recently sang "Fear is a powerful thing"

I find it absolutely ridiculous & offensive that creed which Creedence waved forth regarding the amount of money that is spent on surveillance... can you only imagine if that money was used for our school systems~ I digress, as Chinese & Korean students zoom past us yet again in science/academics...

I will also mentioned the face of a beautiful, maternal gentle, woman who stepped off a catamaran beside me LAST WEEK with her two university age daughters~ who'd just come back from Jamaica AND Cuba aglow with a treasure of memories brimming from their blue eyes eagar to spill & share with their classmates, many of whom spent the summer glued to US television video games

alas, the journey winds onward
Old 10-15-2012

urbanhermit is on a distinguished road

The airport in Cuba was selling Coca-cola and Malboros when i was there a few years ago.
Old 10-15-2012
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanhermit View Post
The airport in Cuba was selling Coca-cola and Malboros when i was there a few years ago.
I was watching a special on Cuba a few years ago and every one had a frigidaire or kenmore refridgerator. Family members here in the states sent them by way of Mexico. So embargo my A$$!
We're the only ones obeying it and why? Let the people see what they are missining and how much better life could be with american money and they'll throw the Bum out.
Old 10-15-2012
Canuck Sailor

Many products are manufactured under license - Coke is likely one of these, and the license would come from, say, Mexico or Canada, thereby not violating the embargo.
As for the appliances, Cuban Americans are permitted to send money or bring goods directly into Cuba without any problems, so many CAs help their families back home this way. For this sort of thing, there is no need to use a third country.
At the resorts, you can watch almost any tv station you wish, and many Cubans get their world news in this way - but outside of the resorts, choice is restricted, so Cubans don't get CNN for example, only the communist government's channels.
It's a very complex, very confusing at times, society. It's also fascinating, which is why I'm going back this winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by canucksailorguy; 10-15-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-16-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road
Bbc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-19958577
Old 10-17-2012

wannabsailor is on a distinguished road

A little confused. A few months back I asked if it was Ok to sail to Cuba. Before the moderators moved the thread elsewhere I received several comments that Americans were not allowed to go to Cuba with very few exceptions. After doing more research it almost seems that it’s not that it’s Illegal to go to Cuba, it’s just illegal to spend any money. How do you get around this? Or do you?
Old 10-17-2012
Canuck Sailor

Americans can go to Cuba under certain circumstances. Formerly, you would have to have a general license. Those were and are available to journalists, religious missions, cultural, sports - a few other categories. More recently, having significant Cuban family there would entitle you, as would being from Cuba.
Last spring, the current administration approved 'people to people' tours, run by properly licensed tour operators. These have just gone through a bit of a shakeup, with license renewals being held up as Rubio, in Florida, caused a stink about how the tours were being conducted. That's another thread and not relevant here.
The confusion is that the rules state (outside of the above exemptions) that Americans can go to Cuba - but they cannot spend money there. Since to enter the country involves paying various duties and buying health insurance, it automatically becomes illegal. One way around this is for the Cuban government to waive these fees, as they were going to do for the Sarasota-Havana race, or for a third party - Cuban or non-American - to pay all your costs for you.
So if you were sponsored by a Canadian like myself, you could go there. It would involve convincing OFAC (Office of Foreign Asset Controls) that that was indeed the case. And yes, paying your sponsor back IS a violation.
If you want to keep up with this, you can see my Cuba website, the link is in my signature, or join the Facebook page, http://facebook.com/cubaforbiddenparadise.
wannabsailor likes this.

Old 10-17-2012

urbanhermit is on a distinguished road

cool website Nucks
Old 10-18-2012
Canuck Sailor

Glad you like it - if you join the Facebook page, it'll keep you up to date on changes - and if you 'like' the FB page, I'll send you, for FREE!, a screensaver showcasing Cuban cars, with a fabulous all girl Cuban band playing in the background.