Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Even for those of us who can legally travel to Cuba, the country can be a bureaucratic nightmare. A kid who works in the yard where we store our boat just spent almost 6 months detained in Cuba because of a minor car accident. Apparently, if a Cuban national is injured in an accident that a foreign national is involved in, the foreigner is detained, even if he is not at fault, until the case is resolved.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2010

trisstan87 is on a distinguished road
I am a bit saddened by this posting.. I had planned to do a stop over in Cuba on my way back from North Korea.. Guess i'll have to rechart =/
Old 11-02-2010
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisstan87 View Post
I am a bit saddened by this posting.. I had planned to do a stop over in Cuba on my way back from North Korea.. Guess i'll have to rechart =/
I hear the folks along the Somali coast are quite welcoming
Old 11-02-2010

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
I had to go into Havana/Marina Hemmingway, 5 yrs ago, because of boat problems. American passports, boat and even a second gereration US/Cuban as mate.

They were delightful, did not stamp our passports because they knew it would cause problems with bozo George W.

A Cuban Coast Guard officer congratulated me on putting the boat on the customs dock under sail and got me a Cuban Navy mechanic within an hour.

The head official offered to get a government car to take the first mate to meet any members of his family still in Cuba.

US paranoia is misplaced and incorrect...but do take lots of $s in small denominations the credit cards do not work.
Old 11-05-2010

avenger79 is on a distinguished road
they did an article on sailing to Cuba a short while back in Sail magazine. it was within the last 6 months I believe although I am not certain of the exact month. they did portray it as doable and worth doing.
Old 12-10-2010

soulfinger is on a distinguished road
I agree with CD. Good show.
Old 12-10-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
So how do I get a Canadian Passport?
Give up your second amendment rights and swear loyalty to the British monarch, and a whole lot of other things.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-11-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Give up your second amendment rights and swear loyalty to the British monarch, and a whole lot of other things.
Funny thing about that. I can get a gun easier that way...
Old 12-14-2010

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road
Yes, by all means, be patient and wait until it is perfectly safe, legal, and blessed by our totally free and suppressive government. That way you will certainly be assured of missing the real place. You know, high rise condos on every beach, just like Cancun, Cozumel, Belize, Americanized. If you plan to wait, just go to any of those places and see Cuba as it will be when we have their blessing.

It is, as I understand, not illegal to go to Cuba, only to spend US dollars there. I believe that there are several web sites, one connected to one of the KEYS sites, that goes into great detail on cruising to Cuba. If I can find it again I will post it here.

Sure there are risks, and after all, if we all here in the USA always obeyed all of the rules, to the letter, we would still be speaking the kings English. Someone here has a signature line which states that when all is said and done we will regret those things we did not do most of all, or words to that effect.

There are innovative ways to do it if you really want it. A few years ago the good old FEDS tried to prosecute the organizers of a race from south FL to Havana. The charges were dropped. Would have loved to have served on that jury.

Last edited by Leocat66; 12-14-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leocat66 View Post
Yes, by all means, be patient and wait until it is perfectly safe, legal, and blessed by our totally free and suppressive government. That way you will certainly be assured of missing the real place. You know, high rise condos on every beach, just like Cancun, Cozumel, Belize, Americanized. If you plan to wait, just go to any of those places and see Cuba as it will be when we have their blessing.

It is, as I understand, not illegal to go to Cuba, only to spend US dollars there. I believe that there are several web sites, one connected to one of the KEYS sites, that goes into great detail on cruising to Cuba. If I can find it again I will post it here.

Sure there are risks, and after all, if we all here in the USA always obeyed all of the rules, to the letter, we would still be speaking the kings English. Someone here has a signature line which states that when all is said and done we will regret those things we did not do most of all, or words to that effect.

There are innovative ways to do it if you really want it. A few years ago the good old FEDS tried to prosecute the organizers of a race from south FL to Havana. The charges were dropped. Would have loved to have served on that jury.
You know, I just have to comment on this. I re-read the post several times and it kept saying the same thing: break the laws because you don't agree with them or because Cuba is pretty now and won't be later.

I simply cannot imagine any place on this planet that is worth me risking my boat, possible imprisonment, tens of thousands of dollars, and at the very least, a LOT of harrassment and aggravation from our government. And frankly, your strong suggestions of taking the law into your own hands and doing whatever you want because you don't agree with them strikes me as irresponsible.

If you want to risk your boat and well-being, that is up to you. I will tell you that, per several local cruisers in Marathon, the US Customs boats in Marathon are just itching to pull people over for coming in from the south. They consistently cruised all around us and our docks. I had another sailor in marathon tell me that the govt was flying a blimp or something to watch to see who was crossing from there. Do I beleive all of it? Well, what I saw certainly made me think twice.

I have heard the hear-say about jumping south to Mexico before coming home, not getting your passport stamped, or telling the US Government that you didn't spend a penny in Cuba because Castro is running an international kegger. I just cannot see that it is worth the risk and I would never encourage others to take the risk.

My opinions.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook: